Consolidation to smaller volumes - Storage

This is a discussion on Consolidation to smaller volumes - Storage ; Hi, Because of the performance of chkdsk on volumes with many files, We 've decided to replace a 1TB volume with 4 250 GB volumes. On this 1 TB volume stands many files and no directories. Users see this volumes ...

  1. Consolidation to smaller volumes

    Hi,

    Because of the performance of chkdsk on volumes with many files, We 've
    decided to replace a 1TB volume with 4 250 GB volumes.

    On this 1 TB volume stands many files and no directories.
    Users see this volumes as 1 share.

    Is there a solution that users, after replacing the 1 TB volume, still see 1
    share with all the files?
    When using mounted drives I 've to create directories?!

    KJ

  2. Re: Consolidation to smaller volumes

    You can use DFS.

    Pat

    "K.J. de Jager" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Because of the performance of chkdsk on volumes with many files, We 've
    > decided to replace a 1TB volume with 4 250 GB volumes.
    >
    > On this 1 TB volume stands many files and no directories.
    > Users see this volumes as 1 share.
    >
    > Is there a solution that users, after replacing the 1 TB volume, still see

    1
    > share with all the files?
    > When using mounted drives I 've to create directories?!
    >
    > KJ

  3. Re: Consolidation to smaller volumes

    We generally choose to do a restore from tape rather than suffer through chkdsk.

    --
    Tom

    "K.J. de Jager" wrote in message news:ul$L3L%23UEHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Because of the performance of chkdsk on volumes with many files, We 've
    > decided to replace a 1TB volume with 4 250 GB volumes.
    >
    > On this 1 TB volume stands many files and no directories.
    > Users see this volumes as 1 share.
    >
    > Is there a solution that users, after replacing the 1 TB volume, still see 1
    > share with all the files?
    > When using mounted drives I 've to create directories?!
    >
    > KJ

+ Reply to Thread