Storage server 2003 versions - Storage

This is a discussion on Storage server 2003 versions - Storage ; What are the differences between Std and enterprise versions? When would you choose Enterprise?...

  1. Storage server 2003 versions

    What are the differences between Std and enterprise versions? When would you choose Enterprise?

  2. Re: Storage server 2003 versions

    ok, this is how I understand it... this is not necessarily the actual
    answer... it is partly based on opinions...

    VSS ships with all versions. VSS consists of 3 different layers. They are:

    Writers (things like Exchange 2003)
    Requestors (NTBackup, Backup Exec)
    Providers (Copy on Write, EMC TimeFinder, VERITAS FlashSnap, etc...)

    The Copy on Write (COW) provider is built into Windows 2003 all versions and
    provides a file level snapshot, saving space because it only keeps the
    changes in the place you designate. The downside is that you only have the
    original volume and the snaps. If you lose the original, you lose
    everything. Also, if you want to mount the snap for point in time backup,
    you will still be impacting the main drive from a performance perspective.
    Third parties like EMC and VERITAS sell solutions that work through the VSS
    infrastructure at the provider level. These tools provide volume level
    instead of file level snapshots and can allow for off host processing and
    backup of data.

    It is my understanding that some hardware providers of the WSS offerings
    have added some third party VSS Volume level providers to some of their
    offerings. These may solve your problems, but based on what
    options/componenets you buy.

    jh

    "skg" wrote in message
    > I went back to the vendor but I didn't get a clear answer. Could you

    please tell me about the VSS transport that comes with the enterprise
    version because snapshots are important to me. Is this product different
    than the volsnap that comes with both versions.

    > I am interested in creating snapshots at periodic intervals to disk. Are

    these snapshots read only or are they actual working copy of the data? How
    are they created via ntbackup or what?

  3. Re: Storage server 2003 versions

  4. Re: Storage server 2003 versions

    Thanks for all of your help

    I just need to be clear on enterprise vs std. My provider said that

    VSS storage transport is only available on Enterprise. My Microsoft guys says "VSS Transport enables you to do is to move a series of snapshots from one server to another. That would be the only scenario where they would need the Transportability feature.

    Would be the feature I need to take advantage of snapshot copy using the 3rd party vendors you spoke of? This would allow the volume level snapshots.

    Can these snapshots be on any type of storage on any server?

  5. Re: Storage server 2003 versions

    The whole "Any type of storage/hardware" goes out the window when you buy
    from one hardware vendor. If you want true heterogeneity, either
    - stay with the server vendor (so long as their solution is not tied to
    a specific disk vendor),
    - use Microsoft's tools (if available),
    - or go with a third party software vendor (if you are comfortable
    adding another vendor to the mix).

    Offloading to a secondary host is expensive. Mirror break offs and snapshots
    cost double (or more) the disk. Carefully evaluate need in your environment
    and see what kind of uptime and speed are actually required. You may find
    that working towards the ability to do snapshots next year or the year after
    are good and that it is not critical today. That would allow you time to
    research and build the environment accordingly, over a period of time.

    good luck,

    jh

    "skg" wrote in message
    > Thanks for all of your help.
    >
    > I just need to be clear on enterprise vs std. My provider said that:
    >
    > VSS storage transport is only available on Enterprise. My Microsoft guys

    says "VSS Transport enables you to do is to move a series of snapshots from
    one server to another. That would be the only scenario where they would
    need the Transportability feature."

    > Would be the feature I need to take advantage of snapshot copy using the

    3rd party vendors you spoke of? This would allow the volume level
    snapshots.

    > Can these snapshots be on any type of storage on any server?

+ Reply to Thread