Windows Storage Server Managment GUI - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows Storage Server Managment GUI - Storage ; I saw WSS management GUI in Microsoft tech Ed last week and seems like Micorsoft has created that GUI using ASP. Is that correct? and if it is, one question - Why microsoft chose ASP to write this GUI versus ...

  1. Windows Storage Server Managment GUI

    I saw WSS management GUI in Microsoft tech Ed last week and seems like Micorsoft has created that GUI using ASP. Is that correct? and if it is, one question

    - Why microsoft chose ASP to write this GUI versus other tools. For example, doing it using MMC and snap-ins for MMC seems like a pretty good way to write management GUIs for these type applications? First I thought maybe the reason is to have remote management capability. But using Remote Desktop, MMC based GUI can also run remotely....

    So, what is the real reason that Micorsoft has chosen this path for the GUI??

    Thank
    BJ

  2. Re: Windows Storage Server Managment GUI

    Basically, a WebUI where all key functions are aggregated is easier to learn
    and use than a collection of MMCs, particularly for small companies (i.e.
    non-dedicated IT staff).

    There is no requirement to use the WebUI and most folks use either a
    management package they already own or one of the built in options (as you
    listed). Also, a lot of deployments rely on scripting (it supports the full
    WMI scripting set) and AD (global policies).

    Pat

    "BJ" wrote in message
    > I saw WSS management GUI in Microsoft tech Ed last week and seems like

    Micorsoft has created that GUI using ASP. Is that correct? and if it is, one
    question:

    > - Why microsoft chose ASP to write this GUI versus other tools. For

    example, doing it using MMC and snap-ins for MMC seems like a pretty good
    way to write management GUIs for these type applications? First I thought
    maybe the reason is to have remote management capability. But using Remote
    Desktop, MMC based GUI can also run remotely.....

    > So, what is the real reason that Micorsoft has chosen this path for the

    GUI???

    > Thanks
    > BJ

  3. Re: Windows Storage Server Managment GUI

    The following is not based on facts of any kind...

    Joe's Thoughts: The WebUI paradigm was adopted primarily for the light
    management tasks you would normally associate with a NAS device, especially
    one without a head. Using the normal array of MMC tools was not thought to
    be the main toolset simply due to the fact that you would not be using this
    device as a normal server, therefore would not need to use the tools you
    would normally use to manage one. Create a user... add a share... modify a
    group, etc... are about all the tasks you would do on a daily basis.
    (outside of A/V, Logs, and other types of daily maintenance) These can be
    handled quite nicely in a WebUI.

    Working for an ISV, we committed to having our Windows backup software plug
    into the WebUI so that most management tasks could be handled. We found that
    most users would use the main UI anyway...

    A Windows user will choose WSS based on the fact that they want the comfort
    level of what they know... so they buy a Windows NAS device... Next is to
    manage it. Why not use the tools they use every day? Most will choose the
    existing MMC GUIs over the WebUI based on that comfort level. For the
    inexperienced user, the WebUI is better for the opposite reasons. They don't
    have an existing management staff who have grown accustomed to MMC GUIs.
    They want total simplicity. The WebUI delivers this feature set beautifully.

    jh

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > Basically, a WebUI where all key functions are aggregated is easier to

    learn
    > and use than a collection of MMCs, particularly for small companies (i.e.
    > non-dedicated IT staff).
    >
    > There is no requirement to use the WebUI and most folks use either a
    > management package they already own or one of the built in options (as you
    > listed). Also, a lot of deployments rely on scripting (it supports the

    full
    > WMI scripting set) and AD (global policies).
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "BJ" wrote in message
    > > I saw WSS management GUI in Microsoft tech Ed last week and seems like

    > Micorsoft has created that GUI using ASP. Is that correct? and if it is,

    one
    > question:
    > >
    > > - Why microsoft chose ASP to write this GUI versus other tools. For

    > example, doing it using MMC and snap-ins for MMC seems like a pretty good
    > way to write management GUIs for these type applications? First I thought
    > maybe the reason is to have remote management capability. But using Remote
    > Desktop, MMC based GUI can also run remotely.....
    > >
    > > So, what is the real reason that Micorsoft has chosen this path for the

    > GUI???
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > BJ

+ Reply to Thread