Booting From Tape on windows environment - Storage

This is a discussion on Booting From Tape on windows environment - Storage ; Hi All I have several servers as NT4, 2000, Unix (AIX). We make daily backup and entire system Weekly Backup. In Unix, we could retrieve all Harddisk , data, partitioning, RAID, etc as it was since the last entire system ...

  1. Booting From Tape on windows environment

    Hi All

    I have several servers as NT4, 2000, Unix (AIX). We make daily backup and
    entire system Weekly Backup. In Unix, we could retrieve all Harddisk , data,
    partitioning, RAID, etc as it was since the last entire system backup by
    booting from the tape, But is there any way similar to be used in windows
    environment.

    thank you
    Mohammed AM Dwaikat

  2. Re: Booting From Tape on windows environment

    No; you can't boot from tape. The typical restore scenario involves doing a minimal install of Windows to access the
    restore program and the hardware, then doing the restore from tape. Some backup products have DOS-based companion
    utilities, so that as long as you can find DOS drivers for everything needed (typically, SCSI controller for tape,
    possibly FC controller for disk), you can boot from a special disk and do the restore without needing to do the Windows
    install.

    --
    Tom

    "Mohammed AM Dwaikat" wrote in message news:uH7QmqjQEHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have several servers as NT4, 2000, Unix (AIX). We make daily backup and
    > entire system Weekly Backup. In Unix, we could retrieve all Harddisk , data,
    > partitioning, RAID, etc as it was since the last entire system backup by
    > booting from the tape, But is there any way similar to be used in windows
    > environment.
    >

    > thank you
    > Mohammed AM Dwaikat

  3. Re: Booting From Tape on windows environment

    Mohammed,

    the concept of bootable tapes on Windows exists through certain backup
    products and certain tape devices that support that feature. With Windows
    2003, there is a new feature known as Automated System Recovery (ASR) that
    captures the disk configuration as well as other vital information (see link
    below)
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...r_overview.asp

    Most backup vendors either support ASR today or will soon.

    jh

    "Mohammed AM Dwaikat" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have several servers as NT4, 2000, Unix (AIX). We make daily backup and
    > entire system Weekly Backup. In Unix, we could retrieve all Harddisk ,

    data,
    > partitioning, RAID, etc as it was since the last entire system backup by
    > booting from the tape, But is there any way similar to be used in windows
    > environment.
    >

    > thank you
    > Mohammed AM Dwaikat

+ Reply to Thread