Re: Network Load Balancing - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Network Load Balancing - Storage ; Yes, but what would you load balance? You can't use NLB for load balancing shares (you can use DFS for that). Pat "Baron Tancred" wrote in message news:FBBB4791-E880-42EF-B2FF-E42CC169ABF4@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me whether Windows Storage Server supports Network Load ...

  1. Re: Network Load Balancing

    Yes, but what would you load balance? You can't use NLB for load balancing
    shares (you can use DFS for that).

    Pat

    "Baron Tancred" wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me whether Windows Storage Server supports Network Load

    Balancing ?

    > Cheers

  2. Re: Network Load Balancing

    Thanks, saved me from some embarassment there. Why wont filesharing run over NLB ? (This is a question for another newsgroup I guess, but if you have a snappy, one sentence answer to hand I`d appreciate it

  3. Re: Network Load Balancing

    Several reasons, but the easiest explanation is that the CIFS/SMB protocol
    is session based (i.e. it maintains state local to the server machine)
    whereas HTTP is connectionless (and is what NLB is used for). That said,
    you can use other technologies (like DFS) to create a static load balancing
    scenario where you present a single server to the users, but you spread the
    actual files across multiple machines.

    > Thanks, saved me from some embarassment there. Why wont filesharing run

    over NLB ? (This is a question for another newsgroup I guess, but if you
    have a snappy, one sentence answer to hand I`d appreciate it)

  4. Re: Network Load Balancing

    Pat,
    How do I email you directly? Sending email to your address below directly
    bounces...

    I can be reached at joseph.hand@veritas.com

    Joe Hand
    VERITAS

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > Yes, but what would you load balance? You can't use NLB for load

    balancing
    > shares (you can use DFS for that).
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "Baron Tancred" wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell me whether Windows Storage Server supports Network Load

    > Balancing ?
    > >
    > > Cheers

+ Reply to Thread