WSS2003 Cluster & iSCSI - Storage

This is a discussion on WSS2003 Cluster & iSCSI - Storage ; Hi All, I work for a system builder in the UK and have a storage solution that uses a WSS2003 header and a bunch of iSCSI targets. Customers are asking us for a cluster of WSS2003 which I have found ...

  1. WSS2003 Cluster & iSCSI

    Hi All,

    I work for a system builder in the UK and have a storage solution that uses
    a WSS2003 header and a bunch of iSCSI targets.
    Customers are asking us for a cluster of WSS2003 which I have found can be
    done using the Enterprise version of Windows Storage Server.

    However, how does this work in relation to iSCSI. Right now I can't see how
    a cluster can work with iSCSI as I beleive only one header can access an
    iSCSI target at any one time, so failover seems to be an issue here.

    Please can someone confirm the situation on this? Ideally I would like to
    get a copy of WSS2003 Enterprise version but it's hard to come by here....
    even a lot of people on the phone at MS UK don't know of the product. :S

    Many thanks,

    Andy Doyle

  2. Re: WSS2003 Cluster & iSCSI

    iSCSI clusters do work. Not sure where your confusion lies. Targets use the
    appropriate SCSI commands, same as FC. Some configuration of the target may
    be necessary to enable multiple sessions. Keep in mind that clusters is not
    a role-your-own solution in most cases. Supported solutions must be WHQL
    logoed and the iSCSI cluster logo program should be online shortly.

    Jeff [MSFT]

    "Andy Doyle" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I work for a system builder in the UK and have a storage solution that
    > uses
    > a WSS2003 header and a bunch of iSCSI targets.
    > Customers are asking us for a cluster of WSS2003 which I have found can be
    > done using the Enterprise version of Windows Storage Server.
    >
    > However, how does this work in relation to iSCSI. Right now I can't see
    > how
    > a cluster can work with iSCSI as I beleive only one header can access an
    > iSCSI target at any one time, so failover seems to be an issue here.
    >
    > Please can someone confirm the situation on this? Ideally I would like to
    > get a copy of WSS2003 Enterprise version but it's hard to come by here....
    > even a lot of people on the phone at MS UK don't know of the product. :S
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Andy Doyle

  3. Re: WSS2003 Cluster & iSCSI

    I tested Windows 2000 Clustering with iSCSI and the stringbeansoftwar
    iSCSI-target today.

    Everything worked as a charm! Even in Windows 2000!

    Just thougth anyone would like to know that =)

    /Magnus

    Jeff Goldner [MS] wrote:
    > *iSCSI clusters do work. Not sure where your confusion lies. Target
    > use the
    > appropriate SCSI commands, same as FC. Some configuration of th
    > target may
    > be necessary to enable multiple sessions. Keep in mind that cluster
    > is not
    > a role-your-own solution in most cases. Supported solutions must b
    > WHQL
    > logoed and the iSCSI cluster logo program should be online shortly.
    >
    > Jeff [MSFT]
    >
    > "Andy Doyle" wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I work for a system builder in the UK and have a storage solutio

    > that
    > > uses
    > > a WSS2003 header and a bunch of iSCSI targets.
    > > Customers are asking us for a cluster of WSS2003 which I have foun

    > can be
    > > done using the Enterprise version of Windows Storage Server.
    > >
    > > However, how does this work in relation to iSCSI. Right now

    > can't see
    > > how
    > > a cluster can work with iSCSI as I beleive only one header ca

    > access an
    > > iSCSI target at any one time, so failover seems to be an issu

    > here.
    > >
    > > Please can someone confirm the situation on this? Ideally I woul

    > like to
    > > get a copy of WSS2003 Enterprise version but it's hard to come b

    > here....
    > > even a lot of people on the phone at MS UK don't know of th

    > product. :S
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > >
    > > Andy Doyle
    > >
    > >[/vbcol]