Does my HD have to be going? - Storage

This is a discussion on Does my HD have to be going? - Storage ; I've got a Western Digital 80Gb HD about 5 months old. Yesterday whilst composing an email, I starts hearing a clicking noise from my HD. I think I've heard it before when nothing wrong developed, so I'm not sure what ...

  1. Does my HD have to be going?

    I've got a Western Digital 80Gb HD about 5 months old. Yesterday whilst
    composing an email, I starts hearing a clicking noise from my HD. I think
    I've heard it before when nothing wrong developed, so I'm not sure what the
    clicking sound is. Email program seems halt a bit and somewhere along the
    line of developments, I get a message about not being able to write to disk.

    Anyway, I shut PC down and when I restart the PC I see that some DOS program
    is doing a surface scan check. In fact I've got my emails in a partition of
    my HD it now shows bad sector where the email is stored and a problem with a
    DBX file at first prevented OE opening. Strange, I don't know why suddenly
    things went funny and how I got the bad sector. HD seems to be working okay
    but the problem has occured twice now. Does not make an odd noise or
    anything. Can a program mess with the HD and cause a bad sector?
    Does my HD have to going defective?

    Are the bad sectors being recorded in the system? Should I be running a
    program? TIA. Rich.

  2. Re: Does my HD have to be going?

    "Richard" wrote in message
    > I've got a Western Digital 80Gb HD about 5 months old. Yesterday whilst
    > composing an email, I starts hearing a clicking noise from my HD. I think
    > I've heard it before when nothing wrong developed, so I'm not sure what

    the
    > clicking sound is. Email program seems halt a bit and somewhere along the
    > line of developments, I get a message about not being able to write to

    disk.

    > Anyway, I shut PC down and when I restart the PC I see that some DOS

    program
    > is doing a surface scan check. In fact I've got my emails in a partition

    of
    > my HD it now shows bad sector where the email is stored and a problem with

    > DBX file at first prevented OE opening. Strange, I don't know why

    suddenly
    > things went funny and how I got the bad sector. HD seems to be working

    okay
    > but the problem has occured twice now. Does not make an odd noise or
    > anything. Can a program mess with the HD and cause a bad sector?
    > Does my HD have to going defective?
    >
    > Are the bad sectors being recorded in the system? Should I be running a
    > program? TIA. Rich.

    This drive is suddenly beginning to develop bad sectors. Another one today.
    So, it's somewhat faulty. I think it's just in the partition where my emails
    are, so maybe as a temporary measure I could seek to not allocate the
    surface area where the bad sectors are appearing as active, with partition
    magic? Probably.

  3. Re: Does my HD have to be going?

    Probably not. A partition is a logical, not physical separation of data.
    If the drive is developing bad sectors it is unlikely that any other
    partition would be safe for any length of time.

    Pat

    "Richard" wrote in message

    > "Richard" wrote in message
    >> I've got a Western Digital 80Gb HD about 5 months old. Yesterday whilst
    >> composing an email, I starts hearing a clicking noise from my HD. I think
    >> I've heard it before when nothing wrong developed, so I'm not sure what

    > the
    >> clicking sound is. Email program seems halt a bit and somewhere along
    >> the
    >> line of developments, I get a message about not being able to write to

    > disk.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I shut PC down and when I restart the PC I see that some DOS

    > program
    >> is doing a surface scan check. In fact I've got my emails in a partition

    > of
    >> my HD it now shows bad sector where the email is stored and a problem
    >> with

    >> DBX file at first prevented OE opening. Strange, I don't know why

    > suddenly
    >> things went funny and how I got the bad sector. HD seems to be working

    > okay
    >> but the problem has occured twice now. Does not make an odd noise or
    >> anything. Can a program mess with the HD and cause a bad sector?
    >> Does my HD have to going defective?
    >>
    >> Are the bad sectors being recorded in the system? Should I be running a
    >> program? TIA. Rich.

    > This drive is suddenly beginning to develop bad sectors. Another one
    > today.
    > So, it's somewhat faulty. I think it's just in the partition where my
    > emails
    > are, so maybe as a temporary measure I could seek to not allocate the
    > surface area where the bad sectors are appearing as active, with partition
    > magic? Probably.

  4. Re: Does my HD have to be going?

    If you are running XP, please make sure you have installed SP1. Then run
    chkdsk /r c: - this will require a reboot. The clicking noise is part of the
    recovery process for problems reading sectors. This was improved and fixes
    were also made to chkdsk in SP1. The drive may still be going bad though. WD
    should replace it - minimum of 1 year warranty but could be more. I went
    through this with a different drive (IBM) and Hitachi replaced it.

    Jeff [MSFT]

+ Reply to Thread