Attach Windows 2003 to SAN - Storage

This is a discussion on Attach Windows 2003 to SAN - Storage ; Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to find some detailed information on how to connect a Windows 2003 to an IBM SAN. Currently with Windows 2000, we create a partion and allow the 2 HBA's in ...

  1. Attach Windows 2003 to SAN

    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to find some detailed
    information on how to connect a Windows 2003 to an IBM SAN. Currently with
    Windows 2000, we create a partion and allow the 2 HBA's in the server to see
    only that partition. What I would like to do is create 1 big partition and
    then mount drives on different servers from the same parition? Is this
    possible.

  2. Re: Attach Windows 2003 to SAN

    There is alot of information at http://msdn.microsoft.com . I do not know where you are in the SAN configuration so you might start with this one.
    - Johnathan [MSFT]

    "Bad Beagle" wrote in message news:ekjQurWLEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to find some detailed
    | information on how to connect a Windows 2003 to an IBM SAN. Currently with
    | Windows 2000, we create a partion and allow the 2 HBA's in the server to see
    | only that partition. What I would like to do is create 1 big partition and
    | then mount drives on different servers from the same parition? Is this
    | possible.

  3. Re: Attach Windows 2003 to SAN

    What you are asking to do is not possible. You can't share data or disks
    (virtual disks, LUNs, etc) so any partitions on one LUN will be owned by a
    single server. Third party solutions exist for some of this.

    I suggest looking to your SAN vendor for more information. IBM has a wealth
    of information available on SANs - see
    http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redb...ortals/Storage.

    Jeff [MSFT]

    "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    | Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to find some detailed
    | information on how to connect a Windows 2003 to an IBM SAN. Currently
    with
    | Windows 2000, we create a partion and allow the 2 HBA's in the server to
    see
    | only that partition. What I would like to do is create 1 big partition
    and
    | then mount drives on different servers from the same parition? Is this
    | possible.

  4. Re: Attach Windows 2003 to SAN

    We run an IBM SAN as well, and though we aren't using Windows 2003 in-house
    yet, we have a similar setup. It is 3rd Party however. The name of the
    company is called "Store-Age".

    What we do is assign a set of disks to the SVM (Storage Virtualization
    Manager) appliance and then create 1 big disk pool out of those disks from
    the SVM. In our case, it's IBM ESS F20 disk. Let's say this disk pool is
    now 1TB out of the collection of disks we used from the ESS. The SVM can
    now carve volumes from this disk pool in any size you'd like, and assign to
    different servers, regardless of OS type.

    Virtualization, to simply put it. I know about a year ago they were still
    Beta Testing their drivers for 2003, but I'm sure they already have a
    release out for 2003. Check em out, it might be the answer you're looking
    for.

    "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to find some detailed
    > information on how to connect a Windows 2003 to an IBM SAN. Currently

    with
    > Windows 2000, we create a partion and allow the 2 HBA's in the server to

    see
    > only that partition. What I would like to do is create 1 big partition

    and
    > then mount drives on different servers from the same parition? Is this
    > possible.

+ Reply to Thread