Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup - Storage

This is a discussion on Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup - Storage ; I have a strange problem with NTbackup on a Windows 2003 server, i scheduled a job every evening at 11:00, it seems to start but then gives the message: Cannot locate the specified media or backup in the log. This ...

  1. Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup

    I have a strange problem with NTbackup on a Windows 2003 server, i scheduled
    a job every evening at 11:00, it seems to start but then gives the message:
    Cannot locate the specified media or backup in the log.

    This is the command line of the job:

    NT\NTBackup\data\Backup Monday.bks" /n "MOndayg" /d "Backup
    Monday" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hcn /m normal /j "Backup
    Monday" /l:s /um /p "4mm DDS"

    Someone a solution for this ? Is there anything that i set wrong ?

  2. Re: Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup

    Apparently NTBackup can't see the media in the tape device.

    Is there any RSM error in the event log?

    Is he able to backup to that tape when you use NTBackup interactively?

    This could be caused by corrupted RSM database, try stopping RSM service
    (NTMSSVC), rename its database directory (c:\windows\system32\NTMSDATA\) and
    restart NtBackup.

    Carl Carter-Schwendler
    Program Manager for Backup
    Windows Division

    "Sjoerd Weitering" wrote in message
    >I have a strange problem with NTbackup on a Windows 2003 server, i
    >scheduled
    > a job every evening at 11:00, it seems to start but then gives the
    > message:
    > Cannot locate the specified media or backup in the log.
    >
    > This is the command line of the job:
    >
    > NT\NTBackup\data\Backup Monday.bks" /n "MOndayg" /d "Backup
    > Monday" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hcn /m normal /j "Backup
    > Monday" /l:s /um /p "4mm DDS"
    >
    > Someone a solution for this ? Is there anything that i set wrong ?

  3. Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup

    I HAVE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM, YOU CAN LEAVE IN BACKGROUNT
    NTBACKUP AND WHEN YOU CHANGE THE MEDIA, IT RECOGNIZE THE
    MEDIA CORRECTLY.

    MY MAIL IS M.BIANCHI@BVM.IT

    BYE!

    >Someone a solution for this ? Is there anything that i

    set wrong ?

    >.

  4. Re: Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup

    Hi there,
    Try using the option /um in the ntbackup.exe line. It stands fo
    "unmanaged method". It worked for me.....

    wrote:
    > *[vbcol=seagreen]

    -
    miche

  5. Re: Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup

    Not for me I always used /um on my Windows 2000 NTbackup, and it never
    failed. However, since moving over to Windows 2003 it has never worked. I
    have to run a manual backup!

    Neil

    "michel" wrote in message

    > Hi there,
    > Try using the option /um in the ntbackup.exe line. It stands for
    > "unmanaged method". It worked for me.....
    >

    > wrote:
    > > *[vbcol=seagreen]

  6. Re: Cannot locate the specified media or backup Ntbackup

    I finally got my Windows 2003 Server NTBackup running. In the Windows
    Help file command line reference for 2003, it seems to be that /um
    parameter has been removed and therefore it wasn't there in the
    Scheduled job i have created using the Backup Schedule Button.
    However, when i manually inserted /um into the command line manually
    from Control Panel/Scheduled Jobs, it worked (where it has been
    failing with the error before:

    'Cannot locate the specified media or backup device. This backup
    operation will terminate.'

    Thanks