Windows as iSCSI target - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows as iSCSI target - Storage ; There is any chance Windows 2003 (or others) can appear as an iSCSI target for initiators? Is this a planned feature (maybe in coming SP1) or a third party driver exists to do this? TIA -- Alessandro Perilli Security Consultant ...

  1. Windows as iSCSI target

    --

    Alessandro Perilli
    Security Consultant / Trainer

    MCT - MCSE 2000 SECURITY - LINUX+
    CCSI - CCSE 2000 - CCSE+ NG
    CCNA - CIWP - CIWSA - CCA XP
    SECURITY+

  2. Re: Windows as iSCSI target

    Win2k3 may not be a target. I am not (personally) aware of any 3rd parties
    releasing a driver to do this. I cannot comment on SP1 one way or the
    other.

    Pat

    ..,"Alessandro Perilli" wrote in message
    > There is any chance Windows 2003 (or others) can appear as an iSCSI target
    > for initiators? Is this a planned feature (maybe in coming SP1) or a third
    > party driver exists to do this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    >
    > Alessandro Perilli
    > Security Consultant / Trainer
    >
    > MCT - MCSE 2000 SECURITY - LINUX+
    > CCSI - CCSE 2000 - CCSE+ NG
    > CCNA - CIWP - CIWSA - CCA XP
    > SECURITY+

  3. Re: Windows as iSCSI target

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:04:11 -0800, Pat [MSFT] wrote:

    > Win2k3 may not be a target. I am not (personally) aware of any 3rd parties
    > releasing a driver to do this. I cannot comment on SP1 one way or the
    > other.
    >

    > Pat

    Dunno if someone is interested but I just found this software solution:
    http://www.bustools.com/iscsi/iswat.htm

    It does exactly what I was looking for.

    --

    Alessandro Perilli
    Security Consultant / Trainer

    MCT - MCSE 2000 SECURITY - LINUX+
    CCSI - CCSE 2000 - CCSE+ NG
    CCNA - CIWP - CIWSA - CCA XP
    SECURITY+

  4. Re: Windows as iSCSI target

    There is an iSCSI target for Windows that is currently in beta. I am
    running it and have been pleased with the performance so far. I am also
    hosting a news server dedicated to the product. The news server is
    news.partridge.ws The company is called stringbean software and can be
    found at www.stringbeansoftware.com Please feel free to check it out. I
    also have the link posted on the newsgroup.I hope this helps out.

    Shawn
    "Alessandro Perilli" wrote in message
    > There is any chance Windows 2003 (or others) can appear as an iSCSI target
    > for initiators? Is this a planned feature (maybe in coming SP1) or a third
    > party driver exists to do this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    >
    > Alessandro Perilli
    > Security Consultant / Trainer
    >
    > MCT - MCSE 2000 SECURITY - LINUX+
    > CCSI - CCSE 2000 - CCSE+ NG
    > CCNA - CIWP - CIWSA - CCA XP
    > SECURITY+

  5. Re: Windows as iSCSI target

    Here is another iSCSI Target software for windows, it supply a free version and another three business versions.
    http://www.kernsafe.com/Product.aspx?id=5
    text from website:
    KernSafe iStorage Server is an advanced and powerful, full-featured software-only iSCSI Target Server for Microsoft Windows.
    Provides extremely fast ISCSI RAM disk drives for temporary data storing on network.
    Provides security disks for each client, Option, each client use own disk which use his/her CHAP password encrypted.
    Provides a built-in iSCSI CD/DVD-ROM emulator which exports existing DVD-ROM ISO images to mounted iSCSI DVD-ROM drives on the clients. This prevents the original DVD-ROM media from possible physical damage or loss, so it also allows client machines without optical drives and allows storing DVD backup data on a single server.
    Provides a built-in iSCSI virtual disk emulator. It exports existing disk images to mounted iSCSI disk drives on the clients. All the clients share the same contents.
    Provides a network-bridged method. It exports an existing partition, disk, CD/DVD-ROM to clients as a virtual iSCSI drive.
    Provides read and write caching, which use memory on server as cache to improve data transfers speed and response time.
    Provides CHAP user authentication mechanism.
    Provides client's IP address authentication mechanism with additional security.
    Provides simple and banausic user management tool, to manage CHAP users.
    No restrictions on disk capacity, total number of hard disk installed, number of CPUs or CPU cores, and ethernet ports or the amount of RAM.
    Support for x86 and x64 machines.
    Support sparse image file on NTFS file system. It allows the size of disk image file only depend on its content used.
    Support any features on file system, such as in NTFS, a image file can be encrypted, compressed, or shared with other computers.
    Supports a variety of common CD image formats, such as: .iso, .bin, .mdf, .cdi, .b5i, .nrg, .ccd, .sub, .img, .raw.
    Supports a variety of partition table format, such as the MBR, GPT.
    Provides “Hold and Update“ mechanism that allow you can update data file from initiators to targets.
    Fully Supports SCSI-2 Reserve/Release.
    Fully Support SCSI-3 Persistent Reserve.
    Fully conforms to the latest iSCSI Standard 1.0 (former Draft 20).

+ Reply to Thread