Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive? - Storage

This is a discussion on Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive? - Storage ; LaCie Mini Hard Drive was designed with the same footprint as the Mac Mini. It uses a 3.5" IDE mechanism that had, at the time, 80 GB capacity. If I want to replace the 80 GB mechanism with one of ...

  1. Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    LaCie Mini Hard Drive was designed with the same footprint as the Mac Mini.
    It uses a 3.5" IDE mechanism that had, at the time, 80 GB capacity.

    If I want to replace the 80 GB mechanism with one of 200-500 GB size, how can
    I tell if the chip set used in the drive's enclosure will be happy with such
    a large mechanism? (Some chip sets were limited to 128(?) GB maximum, IIRC.)
    Is there a way to ping the chip set to identify it's capabilities? Or is this
    model of enclosure listed somewhere as to what chip set it used?

    LaCie tech support rep said that they do not keep records of that info. "The
    chip set will work with the 80 GB it was designed with, but beyond that, we
    don't know...".

    Ideas?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@bogusdomain.net

  2. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    On 2007-08-09 14:00:56 -0500, DaveC said:

    > LaCie tech support rep said that they do not keep records of that info. "The
    > chip set will work with the 80 GB it was designed with, but beyond that, we
    > don't know...".

    I think if you can't get the company to tell you, you're just going to
    have to try it out. : /

    --
    Apply rot13 to this e-mail address before using it.

    JR

  3. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    In comp.sys.mac.system DaveC wrote:
    > LaCie tech support rep said that they do not keep records of that info. "The
    > chip set will work with the 80 GB it was designed with, but beyond that, we
    > don't know...".

    I have a LaCie d2 firewire drive. It came with an 80G Seagate drive
    inside. It died, and I replaced the dead Seagate with a 40GB drive I had
    kicking around. Works just fine.

    I'm in the same boat as you, though. I'd really like to put a 250GB
    drive in there. But I don't know if the chipset will accept it.

    How about you try it first and let me know how it goes?

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

  4. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    DaveC wrote:

    > LaCie Mini Hard Drive was designed with the same footprint as the Mac Mini.
    > It uses a 3.5" IDE mechanism that had, at the time, 80 GB capacity.
    >
    > If I want to replace the 80 GB mechanism with one of 200-500 GB size, how can
    > I tell if the chip set used in the drive's enclosure will be happy with such
    > a large mechanism? (Some chip sets were limited to 128(?) GB maximum, IIRC.)
    > Is there a way to ping the chip set to identify it's capabilities? Or is this
    > model of enclosure listed somewhere as to what chip set it used?

    System Profiler will reveal a fair amount of detail about the chipset.

    (You can get into System Profiler by using About This Mac under the
    Apple menu, then clicking the More Info button.)

    Go into the list of Firewire devices (or USB, if the drive is connected
    that way - I'm not familar with it) and see whether it identifies the
    brand, model and firmware version of the Firewire/USB to IDE interface
    in a meaningful way.

    It should show something vaguely resembling the following. This is from
    my MacPower IceCube Pleiades eSATA/FW800/FW400/USB2 enclosure with a
    SATA drive, connected to FW800.

    Oxford ATA Device 00:

    Manufacturer: Macpower
    Model: 0x0
    GUID: 0x1D202E0CD0068
    Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
    Connection Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
    Sub-units:
    Oxford ATA Device 00 Unit:
    Unit Software Version: 0x10483
    Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
    Firmware Revision: 0x100
    Product Revision Level: 3.AA
    Sub-units:
    Oxford ATA Device 00 SBP-LUN:
    Capacity: 465.76 GB
    Removable Media: Yes
    BSD Name: disk3
    OS9 Drivers: No
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
    Volumes:

    [remaining data omitted]

    The area of interest is the brand name reported ("Oxford" in my case)
    and the second block of data, which describes the Firewire to ATA bridge
    (in my case, "Oxford ATA Device 00 Unit").

    The first block of data also mentions the manufacturer and model, but
    the GUID isn't useful.

    The third block of data (in my case starting with "Oxford ATA Device 00
    SBP-LUN") describes the hard drive, and won't help with determining the
    capabilities of the case.

    If your drive has a well known chipset, it may be possible to determine
    its ability to support drives larger than 128 GB by checking its
    firmware revision and/or product revision level, in comparison with
    anyone else who has a larger capacity drive with the same chipset.

    If the enclosure was manufactured in the last three years (or
    thereabouts) it is quite likely that it does support larger drives.

    Here is a second point of reference, from my older MantaRay FW800/USB2
    enclosure connected to Firewire 400, with a parallel ATA (IDE) drive. I
    happen to know this one has an Oxford 922 chipset.

    OXFORD IDE Device 1:

    Manufacturer: Macpower
    Model: 0x0
    GUID: 0x1D202E02201B6
    Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
    Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
    Sub-units:
    OXFORD IDE Device 1 Unit:
    Unit Software Version: 0x10483
    Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
    Firmware Revision: 0x107
    Product Revision Level: 3.03
    Sub-units:
    OXFORD IDE Device 1 SBP-LUN:
    Capacity: 232.89 GB
    Removable Media: Yes
    BSD Name: disk4
    OS9 Drivers: Yes
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
    Volumes:

    This one does support big drives, but my older enclosure (which I no
    longer have) did not. It had an Oxford 911 chipset, I think, but it
    might have been an older revision.

    --
    David Empson
    dempson@actrix.gen.nz

  5. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    In article <0001HW.C2E0B27801B1A055F01826C8@news.sf.sbcglobal. net>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > LaCie Mini Hard Drive was designed with the same footprint as the Mac Mini.
    > It uses a 3.5" IDE mechanism that had, at the time, 80 GB capacity.
    >
    > If I want to replace the 80 GB mechanism with one of 200-500 GB size, how can
    > I tell if the chip set used in the drive's enclosure will be happy with such
    > a large mechanism? (Some chip sets were limited to 128(?) GB maximum, IIRC.)
    > Is there a way to ping the chip set to identify it's capabilities? Or is this
    > model of enclosure listed somewhere as to what chip set it used?
    >
    > LaCie tech support rep said that they do not keep records of that info. "The
    > chip set will work with the 80 GB it was designed with, but beyond that, we
    > don't know...".

    Another option is to hardwire an adaptor to let 3.5" IDE hard drives
    run off the 2.5" output plug on the Mini daughterboard. Then you can
    run 2 (master and slave), dirt cheap, hard drives that will give you
    way better performance than any external USB2 or FW device. And still
    use the built in optical device. I guy from Australia used to sell
    them, but no more. Its 40 connections to solder I think.

    Or you can use 1 7200 rpm IDE hard drive as the Master and get a full
    size DVD burner (for about $15 used) to use on the Slave and sell off
    the slot loading, expensive, optical drive presently in there.

  6. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    In article
    ,
    The New Guy wrote:

    > Another option is to hardwire an adaptor to let 3.5" IDE hard drives
    > run off the 2.5" output plug on the Mini daughterboard. Then you can
    > run 2 (master and slave), dirt cheap, hard drives that will give you
    > way better performance than any external USB2 or FW device. And still
    > use the built in optical device. I guy from Australia used to sell
    > them, but no more. Its 40 connections to solder I think.

    So you are running the cable out of the Mini to a separate enclosure,
    correct?

    > Or you can use 1 7200 rpm IDE hard drive as the Master and get a full
    > size DVD burner (for about $15 used) to use on the Slave and sell off
    > the slot loading, expensive, optical drive presently in there.

  7. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    DaveC wrote:
    > LaCie Mini Hard Drive was designed with the same footprint as the Mac Mini.
    > It uses a 3.5" IDE mechanism that had, at the time, 80 GB capacity.
    >
    > If I want to replace the 80 GB mechanism with one of 200-500 GB size, how can
    > I tell if the chip set used in the drive's enclosure will be happy with such
    > a large mechanism? (Some chip sets were limited to 128(?) GB maximum, IIRC.)
    > Is there a way to ping the chip set to identify it's capabilities? Or is this
    > model of enclosure listed somewhere as to what chip set it used?
    >
    > LaCie tech support rep said that they do not keep records of that info. "The
    > chip set will work with the 80 GB it was designed with, but beyond that, we
    > don't know...".
    > Ideas?
    > Thanks,
    > DaveC

    Save yourself some grief, there's an easier way to do this. I've been
    booting my Mini off an external drive for a few years now, and it's much
    faster and a snap to set up.
    I bought a 7200 rpm/8mb cache firewire/USB Western digital (I know there
    have been bad reports on WD but up to now mine's doing OK), initialized
    and partitioned the drive, cloned my Mini HD off to one partition, set
    that partition as the boot drive, and I was up and running. You can use
    the Mini's hard drive as a backup for files. (Hint: if you want to burn
    a disc, transfer the files you want to burn to the Mini's HD first, then
    do the burn, it won't burn off the external firewire drive)
    --
    We had the solution to our energy problems...
    but they took it away. See the Movie:

  8. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    In comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage Király wrote:
    > I have a LaCie d2 firewire drive. It came with an 80G Seagate drive
    > inside. It died, and I replaced the dead Seagate with a 40GB drive I had
    > kicking around. Works just fine.
    >
    > I'm in the same boat as you, though. I'd really like to put a 250GB
    > drive in there. But I don't know if the chipset will accept it.

    Following up to my own two month old post. I dropped in a 250GB Seagate
    Barracuda and it only comes up as a 128GB drive. I don't suppose it's
    possible to get the LaCie to recognize the full 250GB? With some sort of
    firmware hack, maybe?

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

  9. Re: Upgrading capacity of LaCie "Mac Mini" hard drive?

    I wonder if you ever solved this problem. I have the same case but have not opened it yet to replace the drive.

    Have you tried the Intech SpeedTools ATA-HiCap extension in your system to see if it will work?

    I have used this internally on older PowerMac G4's in order to access the full space of large hard drives. However, you have to partition the drive in 2. The first partition has to be 127.9 GB. The second partition is the rest of the drive. Once this is done, you can read and write to both partitions.

    I have not tried this with an external case though.

    Considering the price of external firewire cases and the fact that they only work with IDE drives and not SATA drives, this might be an option.

+ Reply to Thread