connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4 - Storage

This is a discussion on connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4 - Storage ; I have an Original iMac G3 (USB ports only). Initially I'd like to transfer applications and files from its hard drive to my PowerBook G4, then, ultimately I'd like to use the G3 as an extra external hard drive for ...

  1. connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4

    I have an Original iMac G3 (USB ports only).
    Initially I'd like to transfer applications and files from its hard
    drive to my PowerBook G4,
    then, ultimately I'd like to use the G3 as an extra external hard
    drive for the G4.

    Any suggestions on the best - and cheapest - way to do both?

  2. Re: connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4

    In article
    <1172938742.950668.22380@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    galeforcewinz@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have an Original iMac G3 (USB ports only).
    > Initially I'd like to transfer applications and files from its hard
    > drive to my PowerBook G4,
    > then, ultimately I'd like to use the G3 as an extra external hard
    > drive for the G4.
    >
    > Any suggestions on the best - and cheapest - way to do both?

    What OS is running on the iMac?

    I'm going to assume you have upgraded to some flavor of MacOSX.

    Connect the systems via ethernet (unless the iMac has an Airport
    card, then still use ethernet for faster file transfer). Turn on
    file sharing on the iMac.

    Mount the iMac's file system on the PowerBook. Copy your files.

    If you do not have MacOSX installed on the iMac, then I think some
    flavor of Mac OS 9 allows IP based AppleTalk. Again enable file
    sharing and mount the file system on the Powerbook.

    You can use this approach for as external storage for the
    Powerbook. If the Powerbook has an Airport card and you have a
    WiFi base station, then just connect the iMac by ethernet to the
    base station and use WiFi from the Powerbook to connect to the
    iMac so that you retain the ability to roam about with your
    Powerbook.

    You can also pick up some very inexpensive USB external disks
    that you could plug into the USB ports
    (HOWEVER, if this is USB 1.1, they will be very slow, but then
    again accessing external disks via WiFi is slow too). If the iMac
    has USB 2, then external USB disks will be a very nice addition to
    your iMac as Network Attached Storage (NAS) device.

    And if you need short term faster access to files on the external
    USB drives, you can just plug them directly into the Powerbook and
    then return them to the iMac.

    Bob Harris

  3. Re: connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4

    In article <1172938742.950668.22380@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    galeforcewinz@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have an Original iMac G3 (USB ports only).
    > Initially I'd like to transfer applications and files from its hard
    > drive to my PowerBook G4,
    > then, ultimately I'd like to use the G3 as an extra external hard
    > drive for the G4.
    >
    > Any suggestions on the best - and cheapest - way to do both?

    GFW-

    I'll answer a different question!

    Unless you upgraded the HD in the iMac, it is probably quite small by
    PowerBook G4 standards. Is it really worth the effort to keep it just
    for use as an external HD?

    Consider purchase of a FireWire enclosure that can hold a new, larger
    (ATA) HD. (If you can find one that uses the Oxford interface chip set,
    it can also be made boot-able.) At the start, temporarily move the iMac
    HD into the enclosure and drag-copy any Classic files to the PB G4. You
    can use the migration utility to transfer OS X applications.

    Then purchase a larger ATA HD for the enclosure. It will be a lot more
    useful than the one from your iMac, and the FireWire interface is more
    convenient than using Ethernet.

    Fred

  4. Re: connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4

    In article , Fred McKenzie
    wrote:

    > In article <1172938742.950668.22380@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    > galeforcewinz@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have an Original iMac G3 (USB ports only).
    > > Initially I'd like to transfer applications and files from its hard
    > > drive to my PowerBook G4,
    > > then, ultimately I'd like to use the G3 as an extra external hard
    > > drive for the G4.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on the best - and cheapest - way to do both?

    > GFW-
    >
    > I'll answer a different question!
    >
    > Unless you upgraded the HD in the iMac, it is probably quite small by
    > PowerBook G4 standards. Is it really worth the effort to keep it just
    > for use as an external HD?
    >
    > Consider purchase of a FireWire enclosure that can hold a new, larger
    > (ATA) HD. (If you can find one that uses the Oxford interface chip set,
    > it can also be made boot-able.) At the start, temporarily move the iMac
    > HD into the enclosure and drag-copy any Classic files to the PB G4. You
    > can use the migration utility to transfer OS X applications.
    >
    > Then purchase a larger ATA HD for the enclosure. It will be a lot more
    > useful than the one from your iMac, and the FireWire interface is more
    > convenient than using Ethernet.

    Another alternative would be to look into using the PowerBook's target
    disk mode so you can connect the iMac to it and dump all the files.
    Originally this would require SCSI on both computers (and one of those
    funky square SCSI connectors for the PowerBook) but, iirc, there is a
    USB extension for this too?

    > Fred

  5. Re: connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4

    David C. Stone wrote:

    > > In article <1172938742.950668.22380@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    > > galeforcewinz@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have an Original iMac G3 (USB ports only).
    > > > Initially I'd like to transfer applications and files from its hard
    > > > drive to my PowerBook G4,
    > > > then, ultimately I'd like to use the G3 as an extra external hard
    > > > drive for the G4.

    > Another alternative would be to look into using the PowerBook's target
    > disk mode so you can connect the iMac to it and dump all the files.

    That won't work. The original iMac G3 doesn't have Firewire, so there is
    no way to connect it to the PowerBook G4 for use in target mode.

    > Originally this would require SCSI on both computers (and one of those
    > funky square SCSI connectors for the PowerBook) but, iirc, there is a
    > USB extension for this too?

    Nope. Firewire only.

    Almost all Mac models with built-in Firewire ports can operate in target
    mode. Two early ones ("Blue & White" PowerMac G3, and PowerMac G4 with
    PCI Graphics) don't have this feature, and models around late 1999 to
    early 2000 (iMac DV, PowerMac G4 with AGP Graphics, PowerBook G3
    Firewire) required a firmware update to add it.

    --
    David Empson
    dempson@actrix.gen.nz

  6. Re: connecting an Original iMac G3 to a PowerBook G4

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 10:19:03 -0600, galeforcewinz@gmail.com wrote
    (in article <1172938742.950668.22380@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>):

    > I have an Original iMac G3 (USB ports only).

    Does that mean it has a network connection of some kind (wired or
    wireless), or no?

    > Initially I'd like to transfer applications and files from its hard
    > drive to my PowerBook G4,

    If you have a network, that would be the easiest method probably to
    move things over.

    > then, ultimately I'd like to use the G3 as an extra external hard
    > drive for the G4.

    Buy a cheap drive enclosure for the drive from the G3, either Firewire
    or USB with an internal connection appropriate for the drive, probably
    IDE, and move the drive there, connect it to the G4, and
    reformat/partition clean over there once you have made sure your data
    has all been migrated.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)