using DVD as HDD - Storage

This is a discussion on using DVD as HDD - Storage ; Hi, I was wondering how I would be able to use a DVD as an external HDD.... like... for pictures. Every time I start up iPhoto I would need to insert the DVD.... Is this possible or am I dreaming... ...

  1. using DVD as HDD

    Hi, I was wondering how I would be able to use a DVD as an external
    HDD.... like... for pictures.

    Every time I start up iPhoto I would need to insert the DVD....

    Is this possible or am I dreaming... OOOOOOOOR does everyone think I'm
    crazy and have NO idea what I'm talking about

  2. Re: using DVD as HDD

    In article <1170975596.573820.314460@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "Enigma" wrote:

    > Hi, I was wondering how I would be able to use a DVD as an external
    > HDD.... like... for pictures.
    >
    > Every time I start up iPhoto I would need to insert the DVD....
    >
    > Is this possible or am I dreaming... OOOOOOOOR does everyone think I'm
    > crazy and have NO idea what I'm talking about

    DVDs are about 5GB while current hard drives are in the 120 GB to 500 GB
    range. Even USB sticks and camera cards are commonly 1GB to 4GB now.

    iPhoto is not compatible with external image archives. It's a strictly
    a beginner's application.

  3. Re: using DVD as HDD

    In article
    ,
    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    > In article <1170975596.573820.314460@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Enigma" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I was wondering how I would be able to use a DVD as an external
    > > HDD.... like... for pictures.
    > >
    > > Every time I start up iPhoto I would need to insert the DVD....
    > >
    > > Is this possible or am I dreaming... OOOOOOOOR does everyone think I'm
    > > crazy and have NO idea what I'm talking about

    > DVDs are about 5GB while current hard drives are in the 120 GB to 500 GB
    > range. Even USB sticks and camera cards are commonly 1GB to 4GB now.
    >
    > iPhoto is not compatible with external image archives.

    sure it is. iphoto 6 does not need to copy images into its private
    library and cataloging a dvd of images will work just fine. however,
    it will be a bit of a pain to add more images to the dvd without
    reburning it. and, as you say, the capacity is substantially less than
    a hard drive.

    > It's a strictly
    > a beginner's application.

    agreed.