Intech software or ATA card, for bypassing 128/137 GB limit? - Storage

This is a discussion on Intech software or ATA card, for bypassing 128/137 GB limit? - Storage ; OtherWorldComputing sells a software product for getting around the 128/137 GB disk size limit on older ATA interfaces, such as a Sawtooth 450 MHz G4 I have. The product from Intech sells for $25, or $15 if you buy a ...

  1. Intech software or ATA card, for bypassing 128/137 GB limit?

    OtherWorldComputing sells a software product for getting around the
    128/137 GB disk size limit on older ATA interfaces, such as a Sawtooth
    450 MHz G4 I have.

    The product from Intech sells for $25, or $15 if you buy a disk from OWC.

    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Intech%20USA/SPEEDHCCD/

    Has anyone here used this or have a recommendation for or against it,
    compared to spending $100 for something like the Tempo ATA133 from
    Sonnet?

    http://store1.sonnettech.com/product...products_id=57

    (Or is there another ATA card people would recommend instead?)

    I want to get a second disk for the G4, something like 250 GB, and I
    could certainly set it up so that any boot partitions are in the first
    128 GB.

    Would anyone recommend gettng a SATA card instead of an ATA card if I
    were going the PCI card route to avoid the 128/137 GB limit of the
    built-in ATA interface in the Sawtooth G4?

    Martin

  2. Re: Intech software or ATA card, for bypassing 128/137 GB limit?

    On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:37:59 +0000, Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht
    edu wrote
    (in article ):

    > OtherWorldComputing sells a software product for getting around the
    > 128/137 GB disk size limit on older ATA interfaces, such as a Sawtooth
    > 450 MHz G4 I have.
    >
    > The product from Intech sells for $25, or $15 if you buy a disk from OWC.
    >
    > http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Intech%20USA/SPEEDHCCD/
    >
    > Has anyone here used this or have a recommendation for or against it,
    > compared to spending $100 for something like the Tempo ATA133 from
    > Sonnet?
    >
    > http://store1.sonnettech.com/product...products_id=57
    >
    > (Or is there another ATA card people would recommend instead?)
    >
    > I want to get a second disk for the G4, something like 250 GB, and I
    > could certainly set it up so that any boot partitions are in the first
    > 128 GB.
    >
    > Would anyone recommend gettng a SATA card instead of an ATA card if I
    > were going the PCI card route to avoid the 128/137 GB limit of the
    > built-in ATA interface in the Sawtooth G4?
    >
    > Martin

    I was given a 150Gb HD and I used "ATA Hi-Cap Installer" to create a HD size
    of 127.87Gb (recommended size) and the remainder as a separate partition.

    [System- macintosh G4; OSX 10.4.8; I GHz; 896 Mb SDRAM]
    --
    PeterG.

+ Reply to Thread