I have a Plextor 716A drive
(http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716A.htm) and have mostly been
using it to burn things. It worked sans problems for over a year. However,
today, for the first time since I bought this computer, I had large amounts
of data to dump from DVDs onto my HD... and something's wrong.

It's copying, but keeps hitting patches that slow it down to a crawl. It
took 4h to transfer a single DVD worth of data. Nothing was broken, the
files made it.. but it probably shouldn't be taking this long.

I have 9 DVDs to dump and it will take forever at this rate. I even upgraded
the firmware and rebooted. No help.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I mean it's just reading, right?
It should be doing so at 48x, shouldn't it?

I'm using WinXP SP2 on a 3.2 Athlon64 with 2 gb ram.

There's plenty of free space on the receiving drive (a Seagate Barracuda
250GB SATA).

The DVD being dumped was burned with this very same drive.

Thoughts?