Disappearing, reappearing drives - Storage

This is a discussion on Disappearing, reappearing drives - Storage ; I recently inherited a beige G3, which came running 10.1 server. I decided I didn't want this version of the OS on there, and tried to switch the machine to OS 9 (the only other OS I have is 10.3+, ...

  1. Disappearing, reappearing drives

    I recently inherited a beige G3, which came running 10.1 server.
    I decided I didn't want this version of the OS on there, and tried
    to switch the machine to OS 9 (the only other OS I have is 10.3+,
    which is unsupported on this G3) Much wierdness ensues.

    The G3/266 came with the following installed, all of which show up
    perfectly if I boot from a Norton Utilities/X cd:

    ATAPI CD-ROM
    ATA Bus 0 ID 0 40 GB drive (HFS+)
    ATA Bus 0 ID 1 4 GB drive (HFS)
    SCSI internal 100 MB Zip

    I booted of a 9.1 cd, ran Drive Setup, and partitioned the
    primary drive into two (20 GB each) HFS+ volumes, then installed
    on the first partition.

    Rebooting:

    If I reboot off the OS 9 install CD, I only see the CD-ROM and
    the Zip drive

    If I reboot off the OS 9 partition on the main drive, I get
    the scrolling "No bootable HFS partition" message; eventually,
    the machine boots into OS 9, but I cannot see the CD-ROM drive
    at all - desktop, Drive Setup, System Profiler all fail to
    find the CD-ROM drive, even if there is a CD in it.

    In neither case do I see the second (4 GB) drive while running
    under OS 9; the Zip drive is always visible.

    If I reboot off the NUM/X cd, everything is there and
    accessible, including both partitions on the main drive
    and the second hard drive.

    Ok, so I know I've done something wrong, but does anyone have
    any idea what exactly and how to fix it?

  2. Re: Disappearing, reappearing drives

    In article ,
    David Stone wrote:

    > I recently inherited a beige G3, which came running 10.1 server.
    > I decided I didn't want this version of the OS on there, and tried
    > to switch the machine to OS 9 (the only other OS I have is 10.3+,
    > which is unsupported on this G3) Much wierdness ensues.
    >
    > The G3/266 came with the following installed, all of which show up
    > perfectly if I boot from a Norton Utilities/X cd:
    >
    > ATAPI CD-ROM
    > ATA Bus 0 ID 0 40 GB drive (HFS+)
    > ATA Bus 0 ID 1 4 GB drive (HFS)
    > SCSI internal 100 MB Zip
    >
    > I booted of a 9.1 cd, ran Drive Setup, and partitioned the
    > primary drive into two (20 GB each) HFS+ volumes, then installed
    > on the first partition.
    >
    > Rebooting:
    >
    > If I reboot off the OS 9 install CD, I only see the CD-ROM and
    > the Zip drive
    >
    > If I reboot off the OS 9 partition on the main drive, I get
    > the scrolling "No bootable HFS partition" message; eventually,
    > the machine boots into OS 9, but I cannot see the CD-ROM drive
    > at all - desktop, Drive Setup, System Profiler all fail to
    > find the CD-ROM drive, even if there is a CD in it.
    >
    > In neither case do I see the second (4 GB) drive while running
    > under OS 9; the Zip drive is always visible.
    >
    > If I reboot off the NUM/X cd, everything is there and
    > accessible, including both partitions on the main drive
    > and the second hard drive.
    >
    > Ok, so I know I've done something wrong, but does anyone have
    > any idea what exactly and how to fix it?

    Some early G3 computers (before B&W revision B) have bad ATA chips. You
    have to add an ATA PCI card if you replace the factory drive or add
    drives.

  3. Re: Disappearing, reappearing drives

    In article
    ,
    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    > In article ,
    > David Stone wrote:
    >
    > > I recently inherited a beige G3, which came running 10.1 server.
    > > I decided I didn't want this version of the OS on there, and tried
    > > to switch the machine to OS 9 (the only other OS I have is 10.3+,
    > > which is unsupported on this G3) Much wierdness ensues.
    > >
    > > The G3/266 came with the following installed, all of which show up
    > > perfectly if I boot from a Norton Utilities/X cd:
    > >
    > > ATAPI CD-ROM
    > > ATA Bus 0 ID 0 40 GB drive (HFS+)
    > > ATA Bus 0 ID 1 4 GB drive (HFS)
    > > SCSI internal 100 MB Zip

    [snip]
    > > If I reboot off the OS 9 install CD, I only see the CD-ROM and
    > > the Zip drive
    > >
    > > If I reboot off the OS 9 partition on the main drive, I get
    > > the scrolling "No bootable HFS partition" message; eventually,
    > > the machine boots into OS 9, but I cannot see the CD-ROM drive
    > > at all - desktop, Drive Setup, System Profiler all fail to
    > > find the CD-ROM drive, even if there is a CD in it.

    [snip]

    > Some early G3 computers (before B&W revision B) have bad ATA chips. You
    > have to add an ATA PCI card if you replace the factory drive or add
    > drives.

    I'm going to pop the hood and try removing the 4 GB drive tonight,
    to see if it makes a difference. Odd that the machine in question
    works fine under OS X but not OS 9, though, unless OS X installs
    drivers that effectively bypass the onboard ATA chip?

+ Reply to Thread