Re: Imac G3/400 hd upgrade suggestions - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Imac G3/400 hd upgrade suggestions - Storage ; In article , B'ichela wrote: > After trying out MacOS X at a friends.... probally not. I > rather like MacOs 9.2.2 better. If I want an MacOs X like Os... I can > always fire up slackintosh Linux, already ...

  1. Re: Imac G3/400 hd upgrade suggestions

    In article ,
    B'ichela wrote:

    > After trying out MacOS X at a friends.... probally not. I
    > rather like MacOs 9.2.2 better. If I want an MacOs X like Os... I can
    > always fire up slackintosh Linux, already installed and using it.

    Not the same at all. With Linux, it's true that you get all the
    stability of OS X, but you also get to suffer trying to use a clone of
    probably the worst UI ever inflicted on the public -- Linux
    looks-and-feels just like Windows.

    Isaac

  2. Re: Imac G3/400 hd upgrade suggestions

    In article , isw wrote:
    > Not the same at all. With Linux, it's true that you get all the
    > stability of OS X, but you also get to suffer trying to use a clone of
    > probably the worst UI ever inflicted on the public -- Linux
    > looks-and-feels just like Windows.

    I took a day to cool down after I read this to avoid a flame
    ware here. I rather keep this polite for others who are reading this.
    When I was at my friends playing with her Intel 20" Imac the
    one glaring thing about MacOS X that I found, coming from Mac Os 9.2.2
    was the layout of the default window manager vs Classic was
    disorienting. However.. since I did have expirence from KDE under
    Slackintosh I was not totally lost. I was able to find the safari
    application to browse the web.
    Now I know many of you don't have to cope with multiple
    disabilities and a tiny disability pension from Social Security. I
    have to make do with $642 per month. That means buying second hand
    hardware quite often unless I can find it in the dumpster or obtain it
    free from friends.
    I have seen on Ebay MacOs 10.3 (retail box) for about
    $50-$70US. I also know it would be best to feed my Imac/G3 256MB or
    better and a bigger HD. However, to do all of that at one time is NOT
    easily done. Auctions being as they are, some have reserves, high
    shipping. Some people don't give you all of the facts, Ie: is the
    retail box opened and registered? If so, is the current license still
    valid or do I need to buy a new license from Apple.. etc.... etc...
    Now this month I DO have available after bills paid about $80
    for discretionary spending. Which do I do first? the Ram or the HD or
    get more Toner for my laser printer? Do I buy new with warranty or
    take my chance with Ebay auctions?
    There is some big issues with Slackintosh Linux that makes me
    consider MacOs X and they are as follows:
    1. Adobe does not have flash for Linux-PPC
    2. RealPlayer is not available either
    3. being I have bad eyesight I am used to using text to speech
    in Clarisworks to proofread my writings. (more on that in a sec)
    There are other mites as well. biggest is the ARTS sound
    system is butkis. it does not work at all. whereas with Mac Os X I am
    more likely to not have these problems. But.... Is there a windows
    manager that looks and works similar to MacOs 9.2.2? I would like to
    learn slowly instead of a sudden changeover. My Mac could run Classic
    which is good as Clarisworks 4.0 won't work under MacOs X (I tried
    appleworks 6 under MacOS 9.2.2, hated the iconic language. have no idea
    how to switch the iconic language to simple text menus. My Clarisworks
    4.0 has a paper manual (got the whole package for free. along with an
    earlier copy of 2.0 on an older performa.
    I hope this explains my situation in a polite way. If anyone
    wants to email me with suggestions/help I would appreciate it. Please
    understand that I get so much spam that the mail might be axed before
    I get to read it. Give a good subject line that describes your message
    and I might get to it before I axe, I axe by subject, unless its
    someone I know.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  3. Re: Imac G3/400 hd upgrade suggestions

    I've been using Linux on PC's since 2000, off-and-on. I haven't used
    it in a while (usually I use FluxBox or IceWMLite), but the Gnome
    window manager had a desktop interface patterned called Platinum
    (patterned on OS 9). Gnome also, in its more recent versions, is
    supposed to have superior support for physical handicaps. So, you
    might try checking into Gnome's desktop styles for the "Classic Mac"
    look, and try out its text-to-speech and speech-to-text and voice
    command. Those improvements were publicised some year and a half or
    more ago, so they should be debugged by now. I've been a fan of Macs
    for several years, and text-to-speech and voice command, as well as
    the old graphing calculator, are features which sold several Macs for
    me to long-time PC users. These days I'm using an iMac G3/600,
    purchased at a school district auction for about $30. It had no RAM
    in it when bought, but now runs OS 10.4 decently for web and e-mail
    with 256 MB. I haven't used Linux on a Mac since I was running an
    8500 with an XLR8 G4/400 2MB 1:1 cache ZIF+Slot adapter upgrade and
    tried Yellow Dog Linux 2.1 as an alternative to OS 9.1.

    I note you are running a BBS, and perhaps will find Anand's articles
    at anandtech.com regarding the server performance of Linux-on-Intel
    vs. Linux-on-Mac vs. OS X Server-on-Mac of interest.

+ Reply to Thread