Biggest Hard Drive Available today? - Storage

This is a discussion on Biggest Hard Drive Available today? - Storage ; Biggest Hard Drive Available today? What's the Biggest Hard Drive Available today for between $400 and $700? Must be completely dependable, and use FIREWIRE 400. Can buy drive and enclosure separately if needed. Looking for: SEAGATE HITACHI-IBM LACIE WESTERN DIGITAL ...

  1. Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    What's the Biggest Hard Drive Available today for between $400 and $700?

    Must be completely dependable, and use FIREWIRE 400.

    Can buy drive and enclosure separately if needed.

    Looking for:

    SEAGATE
    HITACHI-IBM
    LACIE
    WESTERN DIGITAL

    Thanks for you help!

  2. Re: Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    DragonLife wrote:

    > Biggest Hard Drive Available today?
    >
    > What's the Biggest Hard Drive Available today for between $400 and $700?

    The largest single drive mechanism is currently 750GB. But drives can be
    combined to function as a single drive, and this often turns out to be
    cheaper per Gigabyte than a single big drive.

    > Must be completely dependable, and use FIREWIRE 400.

    No such thing as _completely_ dependable. A pair of drives in a RAID 0
    configuration will be slightly less dependable than a single drive or
    any of the other RAID configurations.

    > Can buy drive and enclosure separately if needed.

    Just make sure that the type of drive you get (ATA or SATA) matches the
    enclosure's requirements. Many large drives are now SATA, but most
    FireWire enclosures are still made for ATA. Get an enclosure that either
    has a fan or ventilation holes: sealed enclosures, even the metal ones,
    don't provide enough cooling for extended drive operation. FireWire
    depot has a large selection of FireWire
    enclosures, especially those made for multiple drives.

    > Looking for:
    >
    > SEAGATE
    > HITACHI-IBM
    > LACIE
    > WESTERN DIGITAL

    Check PriceGrabber . For drives, hard or
    optical, I especially like ZipZoomFly .

  3. Re: Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:00 -0600, DragonLife wrote
    (in article <45945288$0$24817$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com>):

    > Biggest Hard Drive Available today?
    >
    > What's the Biggest Hard Drive Available today for between $400 and $700?
    >
    > Must be completely dependable, and use FIREWIRE 400.

    No drive is completely dependable, so your question does not have an
    answer.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

  4. Re: Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:00 -0600, DragonLife wrote:

    >Biggest Hard Drive Available today?
    >
    >What's the Biggest Hard Drive Available today for between $400 and $700?

    There was talk of somebody making a 5.25" hard drive again. I doubt if you
    could buy bigger than 5.25".

    >Must be completely dependable, and use FIREWIRE 400.
    >
    >Can buy drive and enclosure separately if needed.
    >
    >Looking for:
    >
    >SEAGATE
    >HITACHI-IBM
    >LACIE
    >WESTERN DIGITAL

    They probably only make 5.25".

    >Thanks for you help!

    There used to be 8" and larger hard drives.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  5. Re: Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    DragonLife wrote:

    > SEAGATE
    > HITACHI-IBM

    Seagate and Hitachi are so much more reliable than others that I don't think
    other brands are worth dealing with. Seagate usually has the best data density
    and the highest capacity drive is usually a seagate. Note: the more platters,
    the more breakdowns. Do you really want to have the biggest drive in town if
    that means having a 5-platter drive?

    > LACIE

    They don't make drives, they repackage other peoples stuff.

    > WESTERN DIGITAL

    Better off buying Seagate or Hitachi.

  6. Re: Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:00 -0600, DragonLife wrote:
    >
    > >Biggest Hard Drive Available today?
    > >
    > >What's the Biggest Hard Drive Available today for between $400 and $700?

    > There was talk of somebody making a 5.25" hard drive again. I doubt if you
    > could buy bigger than 5.25".

    Funny how "largest" can mean two so diferent things and that we tend to
    forget the literal sense...

    I presume the OP means "biggest capacity", not "biggest physical
    measurements". But thanks for the reminder of the literal.
    --
    /Jon
    For contact info, run the following in Terminal:

  7. Re: Biggest Hard Drive Available today?

    DragonLife wrote:
    > Biggest Hard Drive Available today?
    >
    > What's the Biggest Hard Drive Available today for between $400 and $700?
    >
    > Must be completely dependable, and use FIREWIRE 400.
    >
    > Can buy drive and enclosure separately if needed.
    >
    > Looking for:
    >
    > SEAGATE
    > HITACHI-IBM
    > LACIE
    > WESTERN DIGITAL
    >

    > Thanks for you help!
    >

    > .................................................. ..............

    > -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    Why so expensive?

    See that the 750Gb and 1 TeraByte Seagate Drives are starting well below
    $300.00 at my local Costco and on the net. Newegg? Pricewatch.com?

    I prefer to purchase my own cases for about $30 and prefer the USB
    (480Mbs) plus FW(400Mbs) Airlink 101 dual use. Have three.

    If you really want reliability, you format to UDF, EXT3, or ReiserFS.

    Or, run DiskWarrior every few weeks. I prefer the former formats, that
    don't lose data or get confused in the drive index...

+ Reply to Thread