Help! 3 ancient Macintosh OS7 88 MB Syquest carts need data recovery. - Storage

This is a discussion on Help! 3 ancient Macintosh OS7 88 MB Syquest carts need data recovery. - Storage ; I have 3 88MB 5.25 inch Syquest cartridges (Mac OS 7 format), and my old APS 88MB Syquest drive has stopped recognizing them. I have ruled out SCSI cable and terminator problems. The green indicator LED just flashes after spinning ...

  1. Help! 3 ancient Macintosh OS7 88 MB Syquest carts need data recovery.

    I have 3 88MB 5.25 inch Syquest cartridges (Mac OS 7 format), and my
    old APS 88MB Syquest drive has stopped recognizing them. I have ruled
    out SCSI cable and terminator problems. The green indicator LED just
    flashes after spinning up any of the three disks.

    All I want to do is get the drive working one last time to copy the
    data over to my Mac Performa 5200CD (OS 8). I need to find someone
    with a working 88MB Syquest drive who can sell it to me, burn me a
    CD-ROM, or otherwise let me get the data off my cartridges. I don't
    want to pay $500+ to a data recovery company.

    Any help or advice will be appreciated.

    Nat Olsson
    Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

  2. Re: Help! 3 ancient Macintosh OS7 88 MB Syquest carts need data recovery.

    Update: I have ordered a replacement 88 MB Syquest SCSI drive that I'll
    try to get working in the APS case. It costs much less than the data
    recovery people were offering for a one-off data transfer. If anyone
    has tips or suggestions, I'm still listening.

    Thanks,

    Nat

  3. Re: Help! 3 ancient Macintosh OS7 88 MB Syquest carts need data recovery.

    On 2005-07-18 13:49:16 -0400, njolsson@yahoo.com said:

    > I have 3 88MB 5.25 inch Syquest cartridges (Mac OS 7 format), and my
    > old APS 88MB Syquest drive has stopped recognizing them. I have ruled
    > out SCSI cable and terminator problems. The green indicator LED just
    > flashes after spinning up any of the three disks.
    >
    > All I want to do is get the drive working one last time to copy the
    > data over to my Mac Performa 5200CD (OS 8). I need to find someone
    > with a working 88MB Syquest drive who can sell it to me, burn me a
    > CD-ROM, or otherwise let me get the data off my cartridges. I don't
    > want to pay $500+ to a data recovery company.
    >
    > Any help or advice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Nat Olsson
    > Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

    Send them. I can do it if they are valid disks.
    illstudio at snet.net

  4. Unhappy Re: Help! 3 ancient Macintosh OS7 88 MB Syquest carts need data recovery.

    I have the same problem. Trying to recover three 88 MB from 1993. I tried to boot on the the orignal external drive with a "new" Mac IIci OS 7.5.3. No luck mounting the drive. Have you solved this problem? From what I read the disks may be damagend by the old drive. I did smell something after the drive was running a while - otherwise seemed to be the same experience as 1993 - except did not mount. Is there a driver issue, disrupted sector issue? Steve

+ Reply to Thread