low level format??? - Storage

This is a discussion on low level format??? - Storage ; Hi All, I was running Norton Speed Disk on a drive, it stopped with an error message, saying something like, cannot proceed with optimization, the drive has damaged sectors, or something like that. So no problem, I back up the ...

  1. low level format???

    Hi All,

    I was running Norton Speed Disk on a drive, it stopped with an error
    message, saying something like, cannot proceed with optimization, the
    drive has damaged sectors, or something like that.

    So no problem, I back up the drive, and try to run the software from the
    system disk, to do a low level reformat, thereby blocking out the bad
    sectors.

    Guess what? That option is grayed out!!

    Any ideas? Any suggestions?

    AGB

  2. Re: low level format???

    Gabe Ruth wrote:

    > So no problem, I back up the drive, and try to run the software from the
    > system disk, to do a low level reformat, thereby blocking out the bad
    > sectors.
    >
    > Guess what? That option is grayed out!!
    >
    > Any ideas? Any suggestions?

    A lot of the hard drives released in recent years don't respond to the
    low level format command, as they do dynamic bad sector re-allocation.

    What you're going to need is a good drive formatting tool that can do a
    thorough surface test and re-map (such as Hard Drive Toolkit). This will
    scan the surface, then re-built the bad sector map that is normally
    inaccessible.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,

  3. Re: low level format???

    Gabe Ruth wrote:
    > Hi All,

    > I was running Norton Speed Disk on a drive, it stopped with an error
    > message, saying something like, cannot proceed with optimization, the
    > drive has damaged sectors, or something like that.

    > So no problem, I back up the drive, and try to run the software from the
    > system disk, to do a low level reformat, thereby blocking out the bad
    > sectors.

    > Guess what? That option is grayed out!!

    > Any ideas? Any suggestions?

    Modern IDE drives can not be low level formatted, that is done at the
    factory. The best you can do is write zeros to the whole drive so bad
    sectors are detected and replaced from the spare list.

    Joe Heimann

+ Reply to Thread