New drive for Sawtooth G4/500 - Storage

This is a discussion on New drive for Sawtooth G4/500 - Storage ; Before my original 27GB drive fails (it's starting to sound funny), I thought I'd get a new drive, install it, transfer everything to it, then set up to boot from the new drive. In looking at what is available, it ...

  1. New drive for Sawtooth G4/500

    Before my original 27GB drive fails (it's starting to sound funny), I
    thought I'd get a new drive, install it, transfer everything to it,
    then set up to boot from the new drive. In looking at what is
    available, it seems the "slowest" is an ATA100 connection. This
    machine uses an ATA66 connection...

    So here's the question: can I get one of the internal ATA100 (or
    ATA133) drives, say at 80 or 120 GB, and use it with this machine?

    Thanks for any input you might have,

    Karl Winkler
    http://www.karlwinkler.com

  2. Re: New drive for Sawtooth G4/500

    16 Jun 2004 05:23:24 -0700, karlwinkler66@yahoo.com suggested:
    :
    : So here's the question: can I get one of the internal ATA100 (or
    : ATA133) drives, say at 80 or 120 GB, and use it with this machine?

    Yes. ATA133 and ATA100 drives are backward-compatible with the ATA66 bus
    (and you can probably go back a lot further than that). Keep in mind that
    your drive controller won't recognize the extended capacity of drives
    bigger than 137GB, so 120 is probably your best bet. I personally like the
    current crop of Seagates; they're pretty quiet, and performance is good.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  3. Re: New drive for Sawtooth G4/500

    andrewunix wrote in message news:...
    > 16 Jun 2004 05:23:24 -0700, karlwinkler66@yahoo.com suggested:
    > : Before my original 27GB drive fails (it's starting to sound funny), I
    > : thought I'd get a new drive, install it, transfer everything to it,
    > : then set up to boot from the new drive. In looking at what is
    > : available, it seems the "slowest" is an ATA100 connection. This
    > : machine uses an ATA66 connection...
    > :
    > : So here's the question: can I get one of the internal ATA100 (or
    > : ATA133) drives, say at 80 or 120 GB, and use it with this machine?
    >
    > Yes. ATA133 and ATA100 drives are backward-compatible with the ATA66 bus
    > (and you can probably go back a lot further than that). Keep in mind that
    > your drive controller won't recognize the extended capacity of drives
    > bigger than 137GB, so 120 is probably your best bet. I personally like the
    > current crop of Seagates; they're pretty quiet, and performance is good.

    Many thanks for the quick, informative answer.

    Regards,

    -Karl Winkler
    http://www.karlwinkler.com

  4. Re: New drive for Sawtooth G4/500

    in article 82150ded.0406160423.452f0b97@posting.google.com, Karl Winkler at
    karlwinkler66@yahoo.com wrote on 6/16/04 8:23:

    > Before my original 27GB drive fails (it's starting to sound funny), I
    > thought I'd get a new drive, install it, transfer everything to it,
    > then set up to boot from the new drive. In looking at what is
    > available, it seems the "slowest" is an ATA100 connection. This
    > machine uses an ATA66 connection...
    >
    > So here's the question: can I get one of the internal ATA100 (or
    > ATA133) drives, say at 80 or 120 GB, and use it with this machine?
    >
    > Thanks for any input you might have,
    >
    > Karl Winkler
    > http://www.karlwinkler.com

    Last year, the 20 gig in my 450mHz sawtooth started making noises, so I
    installed an additional Maxtor ATA133 60 gig with no problems. I also
    bought Norton Utilities, ran Disk Doctor & Speed Disk and the noises went
    away. Are you running any disk maintenance tools?

    SR1

+ Reply to Thread