SilverKeeper checks entire file when sync'ing? - Storage

This is a discussion on SilverKeeper checks entire file when sync'ing? - Storage ; I've backed-up my main HD to the backup using LaCie's excellent SilverKeeper, and now do synchronizations to keep files on the backup up-to-date. When I do the sync procedure, I notice that SK reads the entire file, not, apparently, just ...

  1. SilverKeeper checks entire file when sync'ing?

    I've backed-up my main HD to the backup using LaCie's excellent SilverKeeper,
    and now do synchronizations to keep files on the backup up-to-date.

    When I do the sync procedure, I notice that SK reads the entire file, not,
    apparently, just the Modified Date. You can see this by watching the expanded
    status window: for example, SK takes several seconds to work its way through
    the Address Book app, and you can watch it go through all 10 MB (approx) of
    it.

    Shouldn't it just check the date and compare that to the destination file to
    see if it should be copied to the backup? That would take all of maybe 1
    second. What is SK looking for, in that additional 9 seconds?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net

  2. Re: SilverKeeper checks entire file when sync'ing?

    DaveC wrote:
    > Shouldn't [silverkeeper] just check the date and compare that to the
    > destination file to see if it should be copied to the backup? That
    > would take all of maybe 1 second. What is SK looking for, in that
    > additional 9 seconds?

    Have you checked that the header informatikon hasnt been changed? Some
    files are redated by their applications whether or not you have done
    anything to them yourself.

    --
    Hylton

+ Reply to Thread