Restoring data only from backup using CCC? - Storage

This is a discussion on Restoring data only from backup using CCC? - Storage ; If I have a complete backup (OS and data files) of my main hard drive made using CCC, how can I restore the data only, after I install a new OS onto my hard drive? It doesn't look intuitively obvious, ...

  1. Restoring data only from backup using CCC?

    If I have a complete backup (OS and data files) of my main hard drive made
    using CCC, how can I restore the data only, after I install a new OS onto my
    hard drive?

    It doesn't look intuitively obvious, nor can I find specifics on this
    procedure in the on-line docs.

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net

  2. Re: Restoring data only from backup using CCC?

    A few questions about using iTunes to create a digital jukebox on my Mac
    G5. The Mac has dual 2 GHz processors, 1 GB of SDRAM, and two 250 GB
    internal hard drives.

    I have been ripping all of my 500+ CDs into iTunes, using AIFF because I
    (mistakenly?) believed that any file compression (e.g., FLAC, AAC, or
    Apple Lossless) would cause *some* decrease in sound quality compared to
    AIFF.

    I have had to stop ripping at about 400 CDs, because the 250 GB drive on
    which the iTunes file resides is nearly full - mostly with iTunes, of
    course!

    Questions:

    1) Do FLAC, ACC, or Apple Lossless actually result in a perceptible
    reduction in sound quality, when reproduced through a good audio system
    (Denon AVR 3803 receiver, Vienna Acoustics speakers), or am I just
    wasting disk space by using the AIFF format?

    2) Can an iTunes file be split across hard drives? (No, I don't have a
    RAID set-up.) My guess is no, since iTunes seems to open by default the
    iTunes file on the system disk, and there's no apparent way to open an
    iTunes file on another disk, unless I boot from another disk.

    3) If I decide to stay with the AIFF format, can I put my System Folder,
    iTunes, and the iTunes files on an *external* 500 GB HD and designate
    the external HD as my start-up disk? I believe I've used an external
    disk for start-up with my PowerPC 7200/90, but have not tried it under
    OX 10.x on my G5.

    Thanks for any help with these questions.
    Bob

    DaveC wrote:
    > If I have a complete backup (OS and data files) of my main hard drive made
    > using CCC, how can I restore the data only, after I install a new OS onto my
    > hard drive?
    >
    > It doesn't look intuitively obvious, nor can I find specifics on this
    > procedure in the on-line docs.
    >
    > Thanks,

  3. iTunes and digital jukebox on Mac G5

    A few questions about using iTunes to create a digital jukebox on my Mac
    G5. The Mac has dual 2 GHz processors, 1 GB of SDRAM, and two 250 GB
    internal hard drives.

    I have been ripping all of my 500+ CDs into iTunes, using AIFF because I
    (mistakenly?) believed that any file compression (e.g., FLAC, AAC, or
    Apple Lossless) would cause *some* decrease in sound quality compared to
    AIFF.

    I have had to stop ripping at about 400 CDs, because the 250 GB drive on
    which the iTunes file resides is nearly full - mostly with iTunes files,
[...]

  4. Re: Restoring data only from backup using CCC?

    DaveC wrote:

    > If I have a complete backup (OS and data files) of my main hard drive made
    > using CCC, how can I restore the data only, after I install a new OS onto my
    > hard drive?
    >
    > It doesn't look intuitively obvious, nor can I find specifics on this
    > procedure in the on-line docs.

    Drag your Users folder from the backup to replace the Users folder you
    just created, via the ole' Finder.

    --
    John Mcwilliams

  5. Re: Restoring data only from backup using CCC?

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:49:57 -0700, John McWilliams wrote
    (in article <9F9wc.3361$HG.3127@attbi_s53>):

    > Drag your Users folder from the backup to replace the Users folder you
    > just created, via the ole' Finder.

    If I create new user names (and one of them isn't the old user name), can I
    just rename the old user folder (that has the old user name) to match the new
    user name?
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  6. Re: iTunes and digital jukebox on Mac G5

    Bob Boutwell wrote:

    > 1) Do FLAC, ACC, or Apple Lossless actually result in a perceptible
    > reduction in sound quality, when reproduced through a good audio
    > system (Denon AVR 3803 receiver, Vienna Acoustics speakers), or am I
    > just wasting disk space by using the AIFF format?

    FLAC cannot possibly cause a loss of sound quality, since the original .wav
    file is reconstructed perfeectly when the FLAC file is reconstructed.

    > 2) Can an iTunes file be split across hard drives? (No, I don't have a
    > RAID set-up.) My guess is no, since iTunes seems to open by default
    > the iTunes file on the system disk, and there's no apparent way to
    > open an iTunes file on another disk, unless I boot from another disk.

    Given that high performance RAID controllers cost only a few dozen dollars,
    why not just do RAID?

  7. Re: iTunes and digital jukebox on Mac G5

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 03:22:21 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
    (in article ):

    > Given that high performance RAID controllers cost only a few dozen dollars,
    > why not just do RAID?

    This may be very well and good, but how do I restore data *only* from CCC
    backup after having installed new OS onto the destination drive?

    ; -)
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  8. Re: Restoring data only from backup using CCC?

    DaveC wrote:

    > On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:49:57 -0700, John McWilliams wrote
    > (in article <9F9wc.3361$HG.3127@attbi_s53>):
    >

    >>Drag your Users folder from the backup to replace the Users folder you
    >>just created, via the ole' Finder.

    > If I create new user names (and one of them isn't the old user name), can I
    > just rename the old user folder (that has the old user name) to match the new
    > user name?

    That should do it. You might run into Permissions being a problem, you
    might not. Also, be sure to work with backups at hand.

    followup set to c.s.m.s.

    --
    John McWilliams

  9. Re: iTunes and digital jukebox on Mac G5

    DaveC wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 03:22:21 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
    > (in article ):
    >

    >>Given that high performance RAID controllers cost only a few dozen dollars,
    >>why not just do RAID?

    > This may be very well and good, but how do I restore data *only* from CCC
    > backup after having installed new OS onto the destination drive?

    It appears that the thread got split, and perhaps a new ng added on.

    followup set to rec. audio.tech.

    --
    John McWilliams

  10. Re: Restoring data only from backup using CCC?

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:23:44 -0700, John McWilliams wrote
    (in article ):

    > That should do it. You might run into Permissions being a problem, you
    > might not. Also, be sure to work with backups at hand.

    Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  11. Re: Restoring data only from backup using CCC?

    in article 0001HW.BCE60EBB0000E561F03055B0@news.individual.ne t, DaveC at
    me@privacy.net wrote on 6/4/04 1:34 PM:

    > If I have a complete backup (OS and data files) of my main hard drive made
    > using CCC, how can I restore the data only, after I install a new OS onto my
    > hard drive?

    Use an app called PsyncX. You can select what files or folders you want to
    restore.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/psyncx

    --
    Bmer