max capacity drive w/os 8.6? - Storage

This is a discussion on max capacity drive w/os 8.6? - Storage ; Hello. I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I need to possibly replace a drive in an old AppleShare server that is still running 8.6 (don't ask). I thought I remembered that there was a limit to the ...

  1. max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    Hello.

    I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I need to possibly
    replace a drive in an old AppleShare server that is still running 8.6
    (don't ask). I thought I remembered that there was a limit to the size
    of the drive that can be used with this OS. Does anyone remember what
    that limit is?

    Thanks very much!!!

  2. Re: max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    Gary Polando writes:

    > I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I need to
    > possibly replace a drive in an old AppleShare server that is still
    > running 8.6 (don't ask). I thought I remembered that there was a
    > limit to the size of the drive that can be used with this OS. Does
    > anyone remember what that limit is?

    The drive size limit is a function of your interface, not the system
    software.

    Apple's built-in IDE interfaces (prior to the QuickSilver-2002 G4
    systems) have a limit of 128G (which is 137G the way hard drive
    manufacturers measure capacity.)

    SCSI interfaces have no such limit. If you have an IDE add-in card,
    it may or may not have the 128G limit.

    Where the system software comes into play is the size of disk
    partitions. The HFS format has a limit of 2GB per partition. The
    HFS+ format (available on MacOS version 8.1 and later) has no
    effective limit. (There is a limit, but it's a few orders of
    magntude larger than the biggest drives sold today.)

    -- David

  3. Re: max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    in article m2oeo8xx4a.fsf@qqqq.invalid, David C. at shamino@techie.com wrote
    on 5/28/04 10:47 AM:

    > Gary Polando writes:
    >>
    >> I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I need to
    >> possibly replace a drive in an old AppleShare server that is still
    >> running 8.6 (don't ask). I thought I remembered that there was a
    >> limit to the size of the drive that can be used with this OS. Does
    >> anyone remember what that limit is?

    > The drive size limit is a function of your interface, not the system
    > software.
    >
    > Apple's built-in IDE interfaces (prior to the QuickSilver-2002 G4
    > systems) have a limit of 128G (which is 137G the way hard drive
    > manufacturers measure capacity.)
    >
    > SCSI interfaces have no such limit. If you have an IDE add-in card,
    > it may or may not have the 128G limit.
    >
    > Where the system software comes into play is the size of disk
    > partitions. The HFS format has a limit of 2GB per partition. The
    > HFS+ format (available on MacOS version 8.1 and later) has no
    > effective limit. (There is a limit, but it's a few orders of
    > magntude larger than the biggest drives sold today.)
    >
    > -- David

    the 'limit' for hfs+ formatted drives- yet to be reached of course, is 2Tb
    (Terrabytes), or roughly 2,048Gb.
    One massive drive.

  4. Re: max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    In article ,
    catchmerevisited wrote:

    > in article m2oeo8xx4a.fsf@qqqq.invalid, David C. at shamino@techie.com wrote
    > on 5/28/04 10:47 AM:
    >
    > > Gary Polando writes:
    > >>

    > > Apple's built-in IDE interfaces (prior to the QuickSilver-2002 G4
    > > systems) have a limit of 128G (which is 137G the way hard drive
    > > manufacturers measure capacity.)

    Is that per volume, or per drive, or per bus?

    i.e. what about a 256 GB disk formatted as two 128 GB volumes?
    or two 128 GB drives on the same internal ide cable?
    or does it have to be one internal 128 GB drive and the rest external?

  5. Re: max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    Gabe Ruth writes:

    >> Apple's built-in IDE interfaces (prior to the QuickSilver-2002 G4
    >> systems) have a limit of 128G (which is 137G the way hard drive
    >> manufacturers measure capacity.)

    > Is that per volume, or per drive, or per bus?

    Per drive.

    The limit is the IDE interface, not your system software.

    > i.e. what about a 256 GB disk formatted as two 128 GB volumes?

    The whole drive will be seen as a single 128G drive, unless your IDE
    interface supports LBA-48 mode.

    > or two 128 GB drives on the same internal ide cable?

    This should work OK, as long as your IDE interface supports slave
    drives. (Some early G3 systems don't support slave drives reliably.)

    > or does it have to be one internal 128 GB drive and the rest external?

    It's not a matter of internal vs. external but the IDE interface.

    An external drive might also have this limit if the IDE-FireWire
    bridge chip in its case doesn't support LBA-48 mode.

    -- David

  6. Re: max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    In article , shamino@techie.com (David C.)
    wrote:

    > Gabe Ruth writes:
    >
    > > or two 128 GB drives on the same internal ide cable?

    > This should work OK, as long as your IDE interface supports slave
    > drives. (Some early G3 systems don't support slave drives reliably.)

    The Beige G3 not supporting slave drives is a ROM issue. You can get
    around this by upgrading the ROM. ROM version $77D.40F2 doesn't support
    slave drives, the other two
    do.

    But, OS X doesn't use the built-in ROM once it's up and running so you
    can use slave drives with the $77D.40F2 ROM. I have verified this with
    OS X 10.2.

    Greg B.

    Actual e-mail address is gbuchner and I'm located at mn.rr.com

  7. Re: max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    Greg Buchner writes:

    > The Beige G3 not supporting slave drives is a ROM issue. You can
    > get around this by upgrading the ROM. ROM version $77D.40F2 doesn't
    > support slave drives, the other two
    > do.
    >
    > But, OS X doesn't use the built-in ROM once it's up and running so
    > you can use slave drives with the $77D.40F2 ROM. I have verified
    > this with OS X 10.2.

    Early revisions of the B&W G3 (rev. A motherboards, IIRC) also have
    problems with slave drives. I don't know if a ROM update will fix it.

    -- David

  8. Re: max capacity drive w/os 8.6?

    wrote:

    > Greg Buchner writes:
    > >
    > > The Beige G3 not supporting slave drives is a ROM issue. You can
    > > get around this by upgrading the ROM. ROM version $77D.40F2 doesn't
    > > support slave drives, the other two
    > > do.
    > >
    > > But, OS X doesn't use the built-in ROM once it's up and running so
    > > you can use slave drives with the $77D.40F2 ROM. I have verified
    > > this with OS X 10.2.

    > Early revisions of the B&W G3 (rev. A motherboards, IIRC) also have
    > problems with slave drives. I don't know if a ROM update will fix it.

    AFAIK, it was a motherboard replacement to fix it. The problem in that
    one was in the IDE controller chip. I have a friend who had a rev 1 B&W
    G3 with two drives in it. He did have problems with it set up with a
    12GB as master and a 40GB as a slave. When he swapped them around, he
    never had any further problems.

    Greg B.

    Actual e-mail address is gbuchner and I'm located at mn.rr.com

+ Reply to Thread