external firewire drive woes... :( could this be the end?? - Storage

This is a discussion on external firewire drive woes... :( could this be the end?? - Storage ; Howdy y'all. So, my external firewire drive (a smaller, laptop sized drive) is possibly at the end of it's road... symptoms: - doesn't mount on the desktop (go figure) - machine won't complete booting up while it's plugged in, it ...

  1. external firewire drive woes... :( could this be the end??

    Howdy y'all.

    So, my external firewire drive (a smaller, laptop sized drive) is
    possibly at the end of it's road...

    symptoms:

    - doesn't mount on the desktop (go figure)

    - machine won't complete booting up while it's plugged in, it holds at
    'waiting for disk' before giving the login window.

    - if I plug it in later, then kick off Disk Warrior -D.W. will hang on
    the 'scanning' part of its startup

    I attempted to move the drive into another external firewire
    enclosure, thinking it might be the enclosure... no luck, same
    problems.

    Only thing I haven't tried yet, is to put the drive in a full-size IDE
    adapter so that it can be plugged into, say, the secondary IDE bus on
    a desktop Mac (the one the CD connects to).

    Anyone ever see a drive behave like this???

    Crossing my fingers...

    Joe

    joetekk@yahoo.com

  2. Re: external firewire drive woes... :( could this be the end??

    In article <515928a4.0405141059.574ba2@posting.google.com>,
    joetekk@yahoo.com (JoeTekk) wrote:

    > Howdy y'all.
    >
    > So, my external firewire drive (a smaller, laptop sized drive) is
    > possibly at the end of it's road...
    >
    > symptoms:
    >
    > - doesn't mount on the desktop (go figure)
    >
    > - machine won't complete booting up while it's plugged in, it holds at
    > 'waiting for disk' before giving the login window.
    >
    > - if I plug it in later, then kick off Disk Warrior -D.W. will hang on
    > the 'scanning' part of its startup
    >

    > I attempted to move the drive into another external firewire
    > enclosure, thinking it might be the enclosure... no luck, same
    > problems.
    >
    > Only thing I haven't tried yet, is to put the drive in a full-size IDE
    > adapter so that it can be plugged into, say, the secondary IDE bus on
    > a desktop Mac (the one the CD connects to).
    >

    > Anyone ever see a drive behave like this???
    >
    > Crossing my fingers...

    I seem to recall a similar problem. The "waiting for disk" in in OSX is
    shown while a disk repair is being run, if memory serves.

    My drive was fixed by Disk Warrior, but it took a long, long time to do
    it. (I left it overnight.)

    I was very relieved as I hadn't backed up that disk.
    --
    Walt Sellers
    Computer Engineer For Hire