Importing AIFF files into iTunes? - Storage

This is a discussion on Importing AIFF files into iTunes? - Storage ; Several years ago, I burned some CD-r Audio-format CD's with AIFF files. They worked fine in my CD players. Now that the world has iTunes, I want to change these files into MP3's. The AIFF files on one of the ...

  1. Importing AIFF files into iTunes?

    Several years ago, I burned some CD-r Audio-format CD's with AIFF files. They
    worked fine in my CD players.

    Now that the world has iTunes, I want to change these files into MP3's.

    The AIFF files on one of the CD-R's can be imported by dragging the files
    onto a new Play List.

    None of the other CD-R's will allow this. When I drag the files, they just
    "boing" back (don't stick in iTunes).

    Why will iTunes import (and resample at the rate specified in the
    Preferences) files on one disc, but not others?

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net

  2. Re: Importing AIFF files into iTunes?

    In article <0001HW.BC62C5720004EFDDF03055B0@news.individual.ne t>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > Several years ago, I burned some CD-r Audio-format CD's with AIFF files. They
    > worked fine in my CD players.
    >
    > Now that the world has iTunes, I want to change these files into MP3's.
    >
    > The AIFF files on one of the CD-R's can be imported by dragging the files
    > onto a new Play List.
    >
    > None of the other CD-R's will allow this. When I drag the files, they just
    > "boing" back (don't stick in iTunes).
    >
    > Why will iTunes import (and resample at the rate specified in the
    > Preferences) files on one disc, but not others?
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I just did essentiallythe same thing, but not by dragging files. I told
    iTunes to automatically import (as MP3s), the tracks on any disc that I
    stuck in the drive. It worked perfectly with every CD-R I stuck into it,
    even finding correct track names on one or two of them, even though they
    had been digitized (by me) from vinyl records!

    Beige G3, OS 9.0.4.

    Isaac

  3. Re: Importing AIFF files into iTunes?

    wrote:

    > Several years ago, I burned some CD-r Audio-format CD's with AIFF files. They
    > worked fine in my CD players.
    >
    > Now that the world has iTunes, I want to change these files into MP3's.
    >
    > The AIFF files on one of the CD-R's can be imported by dragging the files
    > onto a new Play List.
    >
    > None of the other CD-R's will allow this. When I drag the files, they just
    > "boing" back (don't stick in iTunes).
    >
    > Why will iTunes import (and resample at the rate specified in the
    > Preferences) files on one disc, but not others?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,

    If the disc is a CD-DA (Compact Disc-Digital Audio), i.e. one that
    plays in a standard CD player, you don't drag the files into iTunes.
    You just insert it and the audio CD appears in the iTunes playlist. At
    that point, you just select the disc, check the tracks you want
    imported, and click the Import button at the upper right of the iTunes
    window. Of course, you need your Import Preferences set to MP3 if you
    want MP3s.

    --
    Spenser

  4. Re: Importing AIFF files into iTunes?

    > > Why will iTunes import (and resample at the rate specified in the
    > > Preferences) files on one disc, but not others?
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    > I just did essentiallythe same thing, but not by dragging files. I told
    > iTunes to automatically import (as MP3s), the tracks on any disc that I
    > stuck in the drive. It worked perfectly with every CD-R I stuck into it,
    > even finding correct track names on one or two of them, even though they
    > had been digitized (by me) from vinyl records!

    The OSX Finder at last recognises tracks on CDs as files.aif
    If you drag a track off a CD onto the desktop it is copied as the
    complete aiff now, not just the index entry as in OS9

    But even if you manually put that file into a "proper" nested folder in
    iTunes Library, iTunes will not see it. iTunes' tidy mind needs to
    "import" every single file so it can be indexed and playlisted. This
    means existing aiff files on disk will be copied (duplicated) into the
    iTunes library...

  5. Re: Importing AIFF files into iTunes?

    In article ,
    Peter KERR wrote:

    > But even if you manually put that file into a "proper" nested folder in
    > iTunes Library, iTunes will not see it. iTunes' tidy mind needs to
    > "import" every single file so it can be indexed and playlisted. This
    > means existing aiff files on disk will be copied (duplicated) into the
    > iTunes library...

    No, this is incorrect.

    While you must drag files (or folders of files) into the iTunes
    library/window in order for iTunes to place entries to them in the
    database (also called the "Library"), you do *not* need to have iTunes
    make copies of them.

    If you have the Preference set in iTunes to copy music into the iTunes
    music folder, it will be copied. However, if you have this option off,
    then the files and folders stay exactly where they are.

  6. Re: Importing AIFF files into iTunes?

    Tom Dowdy wrote:

    > While you must drag files (or folders of files) into the iTunes
    > library/window in order for iTunes to place entries to them in the
    > database (also called the "Library"), you do *not* need to have iTunes
    > make copies of them.
    >
    > If you have the Preference set in iTunes to copy music into the iTunes
    > music folder, it will be copied. However, if you have this option off,
    > then the files and folders stay exactly where they are.

    mea culpa :-(

    You are right, however in my defence I will claim that the default
    behaviour of iTunes is to copy, and the user must change the Prefs to
    stop that. I don't have a Panther within reach to see if they've fixed
    this...

+ Reply to Thread