Need to un-erase an entire volume... - Storage

This is a discussion on Need to un-erase an entire volume... - Storage ; I managed somehow to initalize the back up disk for a drive that's already been reformatted. This back up is a partition on an external firewire disk. Are any of the tools on the market -- Norton, DiskWarrior, Data Rescue ...

  1. Need to un-erase an entire volume...

    I managed somehow to initalize the back up disk for a drive that's
    already been reformatted.
    This back up is a partition on an external firewire disk. Are any of the
    tools on the market -- Norton, DiskWarrior, Data Rescue -- can actually
    recover the data off an initialized disk?

    Nothing like this is clearly stated on their web sites.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Need to un-erase an entire volume...

    In article
    ,
    Charlie wrote:

    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    There are companies which can do this. Expect to pay $$$. Data Rescue
    MAY do it. It's certainly cheaper, but I don't know for sure if it'll
    recover data from a specifically initialized drive.

    --
    You are what you eat, therefore, I'm a vegetable! Cows and chickens
    and Pop Tarts are too.

  3. Re: Need to un-erase an entire volume...

    In article
    , Charlie
    wrote:

    > I managed somehow to initalize the back up disk for a drive that's
    > already been reformatted.
    > This back up is a partition on an external firewire disk. Are any of the
    > tools on the market -- Norton, DiskWarrior, Data Rescue -- can actually
    > recover the data off an initialized disk?

    realistically, its gone.

    norton and techtool claim they can undelete, but its generally not that
    successful.

    diskwarrior will fix directory damage, which there shouldn't be any
    since it was just reformatted.

    data rescue can find files on a drive with a trashed directory, but its
    not really designed to undelete. however, it still might find some
    stuff, but probably not all. if i'm not mistaken, there's a demo
    version that will let you see what it finds..and if it finds what you
    need, then you can buy it. if not, nothing lost but your time.

    a diskrecovery service such as drivesavers more than likely can recover
    it, but they aren't cheap.

  4. Re: Need to un-erase an entire volume...

    In article ,
    Charlie wrote:

    > I managed somehow to initalize the back up disk for a drive that's
    > already been reformatted.
    > This back up is a partition on an external firewire disk. Are any of the
    > tools on the market -- Norton, DiskWarrior, Data Rescue -- can actually
    > recover the data off an initialized disk?
    >
    > Nothing like this is clearly stated on their web sites.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    As Howard stated, you can send it to a service like Drive Savers but it is
    real costly. They can do wonders. If you want to try data rescues as
    others have suggested, make a copy of the HD and work on the copy. Do not
    alter the HD further.

+ Reply to Thread