    extract data from 3 old SCSI drives I have attached to it.

    -I installed a 2 port USB-PCI card-eventually got new extensions
    installed, so it see sit,but now the from 3 old SCSI drives I have
    attached to it have disappeared?

    I assume conflict of resources, IRQs how do you adjust this on Mac OS
    9,on a old PPC 8500/120.

    I know how to reassign on a PC ,but not a MAC?

    I should add ,the internal drive seems to come and go, (Bad disc error
    #10)sometimes it works,other times you must boot from external SCSI
    drives

    My goal is just to to extract data from 3 old SCSI drives, which is
    becoming a nightmare(have been unable connect to new eMac via
    ethernet,so is there some kind of adaptor SCSI-to USB or firewire to
    dump this data to eMac?? running panther?

  2. Re: save data from 8500,SCSI drives ,USB?

    Joe wrote:

    > I have an old PPC 8500,im trying to resurrect, not to use ,but to
    > extract data from 3 old SCSI drives I have attached to it.
    >
    > I installed a 2 port USB-PCI card-eventually got new extensions
    > installed, so it see sit, but now the 3 old SCSI drives I have
    > attached to it have disappeared?
    >
    > I assume conflict of resources, IRQs how do you adjust this on Mac OS
    > 9,on a old PPC 8500/120.

    You don't. Macs have never had user-configurable interrupts.

    > I should add ,the internal drive seems to come and go, (Bad disc error
    > #10)sometimes it works,other times you must boot from external SCSI
    > drives

    There could be a problem with either the 8500's onboard SCSI controller,
    or the cable is dicky, or it could well be that the drives themselves
    are very old and are having powering up.

    > My goal is just to to extract data from 3 old SCSI drives, which is
    > becoming a nightmare(have been unable connect to new eMac via
    > ethernet,so is there some kind of adaptor SCSI-to USB or firewire to
    > dump this data to eMac?? running panther?

    If you look on the back you will see a small Centronics-style connector
    with the logo <...> above it. This is the 8500's on-board 10-base-T
    ethernet, but to use it you will need to find an Apple AUI transceiver
    pod (AAUI). Any Mac shop will have one of these they can sell you
    cheaply.

    Once you get connected via ethernet, and you manage to get the drives
    alive in the 8500, turn on File Sharing on the 8500, share each drive,
    make Guest access available, then you can read them from the Network
    Browser on the eMac.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,

  3. Re: save data from 8500,SCSI drives ,USB?

    In article <1g9ocru.1pe6zl4jcx7ucN@[192.168.0.170]>,
    goaEXCESSBAGGAGEbrains@hotmail.com (Geoffrey) wrote:

    > If you look on the back you will see a small Centronics-style connector
    > with the logo <...> above it. This is the 8500's on-board 10-base-T
    > ethernet, but to use it you will need to find an Apple AUI transceiver
    > pod (AAUI). Any Mac shop will have one of these they can sell you
    > cheaply.

    My 8500 has a RJ-45 jack right below the AAUI port. Pretty sure they all
    do. The RJ-45 jack takes precedence if you connect to both at the same
    time.

    To the OP:
    My first guess would be you have a bad internal startup HD. Disconnect
    it, start up from an OS 9 CD and see how that goes.

    True, the 8500 is a bit dated but I have been using mine almost daily
    for about a decade. It can run OSs 7 thru X (with a processor upgrade),
    various Unices and Virtual PC, has built-in A/V support, SCSI, PCI slots
    and best of all it has never once needed a major repair or part
    replacement. One of the best models Apple ever made, IMO if you don't
    count the case design. I even temporairly installed a SATA card and
    drive to see if it would work and it started right up. I wish my newer
    machines were so versatile and reliable.

    I have a spare in the closet. I keep 8500s when I find them.

+ Reply to Thread