CD-RW drive no longer recognized by MAC OS - Storage

This is a discussion on CD-RW drive no longer recognized by MAC OS - Storage ; I need some pointers on troubleshooting a problem with my mother-in-law's G4. I'm a PC guy with limited experience working with Macintosh computers. All of the sudden (she says), the Mac OS (version 10, I believe) would no longer mount ...

  1. CD-RW drive no longer recognized by MAC OS

    I need some pointers on troubleshooting a problem with my mother-in-law's
    G4. I'm a PC guy with limited experience working with Macintosh computers.

    All of the sudden (she says), the Mac OS (version 10, I believe) would no
    longer mount her external firewire CD-RW drive.

    Also, her burning software Toast (version 4.1.2.) gives this message: "no cd
    recorder...please check cables & power".

    This is what I know so far:

    1. System Profiler recognizes the firewire bus, but fails to detect any
    attached devices.
    2. The CD-RW drive (Que! Fire Model QPS 525, external) has power to it and
    seems fully functional.
    3. Just to eliminate it as a possibility, I have replaced the firewire
    cable.
    4. No obvious major changes were made to the system recently
    (software/hardware installs, etc). It was business as usual and then the
    problem showed up.

    I'm confident this is a software issue, but I don't know where to get
    started. Your tips, insight and advice are very welcome to me. Thanks for
    your time.

  2. Re: CD-RW drive no longer recognized by MAC OS

    In article ,
    "SmarSquid" wrote:

    > 1. System Profiler recognizes the firewire bus,

    Good.

    > but fails to detect any attached devices.

    Bad.

    > 2. The CD-RW drive (Que! Fire Model QPS 525, external) has power to it and
    > seems fully functional.

    I would connect that drive to another computer and see if it really is
    functioning correctly.

    The 4.1.2 version of Toast might be the problem but I don't know why it
    would just show up one day. Go to System Preferences -> Classic and make
    sure Classic is not starting up with extensions off. Toast needs
    extensions with OS 9.

    You really would be happier with Toast 5x or higher for OS X. A new
    Yamaha drive would be nice too

  3. Re: CD-RW drive no longer recognized by MAC OS

    << 1. System Profiler recognizes the firewire bus, but fails to detect any
    attached devices. >>

    This indicates that the drive is bad, the cable is bad, or the firewire port on
    the computer's board has a problem. Generally, on the Mac, if the drive isn't
    seen in the profile, it means the hardware has gone bad. Even if the drivers
    have been dinked with, there's usually some sign of it in the profiler, even if
    it isn't specifically identified.

    Try the drive with another computer and see if it works.

    Try a known good drive with the G4.

    That should narrow it down.

    The other mac trick is to hold down command-option-p-r while you power on the
    machine. It will chime a second time, indicating that the PRAM has been
    cleared.

    But it sounds like the drive has gone down for some reason or another.

    If is the drive, you might be able to simply change the mechanism inside the FW
    case.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.