SCSI card for g/4 - Storage

This is a discussion on SCSI card for g/4 - Storage ; Hello everyone... I will soon be picking up a g4 1.25 "dualie" (need the OS 9 boot capabilities). I'm looking for a PCI/SCSI card to hook up some older peripherals, such as a ZIP 100 drive, magneto-optical drive, scanner, old ...

  1. SCSI card for g/4

    Hello everyone...

    I will soon be picking up a g4 1.25 "dualie" (need the OS 9 boot capabilities).

    I'm looking for a PCI/SCSI card to hook up some older peripherals, such as a
    ZIP 100 drive, magneto-optical drive, scanner, old hard drives, etc.

    Having said that, "speed" isn't my criteria, but I would like "bootability"
    and also a card that allows "deep sleep".

    Can anyone recommend specific Adaptec (or other) cards that I should look for?
    Again, speed isn't needed, just bootability and sleep.

    Thanks,
    - John

  2. Re: SCSI card for g/4

    In article <40377874.1C55DD68@snet.net>, j.albert@snet.net wrote:

    > Hello everyone...
    >
    > I will soon be picking up a g4 1.25 "dualie" (need the OS 9 boot

    capabilities).

    > I'm looking for a PCI/SCSI card to hook up some older peripherals, such as a
    > ZIP 100 drive, magneto-optical drive, scanner, old hard drives, etc.
    >
    > Having said that, "speed" isn't my criteria, but I would like "bootability"
    > and also a card that allows "deep sleep".
    >
    > Can anyone recommend specific Adaptec (or other) cards that I should look for?
    > Again, speed isn't needed, just bootability and sleep.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > - John

    in OS9 Adaptec 2906 and 2930(rom version 4.2 or 4.3 supports deep sleep)

  3. Re: SCSI card for g/4

    I've a G4(AGP) w/Adaptec 29160N. It seems okay. IIRC it was ATTO SCSI
    cards that were recommended as being the most trouble free. No personal
    experience with them, however.

    Some problems getting it to wake from sleep, and the internal SCSI drive
    recognized, but I attributed it to SCSI voodoo (I'm no expert) and some,
    umm, experiemting on my part (thought it'd be a good idea to put the swap
    partition on that drive. "Should work", but caused problems.) My external
    SCSI CD-RW never had a problem.

    HTH

    I guess everyone goes through somthing like this trying to maximize their
    legacy investment... Good luck ;-)

    --
    Non Illegitimi Carborundum

+ Reply to Thread