Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question - Storage

This is a discussion on Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question - Storage ; I've just replaced the original 6GB hard drive in my 266MHz Beige G3 (MacOS 9.2) with a brand new 120GB drive. The System Profiler says it's 120GB, but Drive Setup insists on only formatting it to a total of 31.5GB, ...

  1. Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    I've just replaced the original 6GB hard drive in my 266MHz Beige G3
    (MacOS 9.2) with a brand new 120GB drive. The System Profiler says it's
    120GB, but Drive Setup insists on only formatting it to a total of
    31.5GB, no matter how many partitions I choose.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?? Or is this a
    limitation of the older ATA BUS? (

    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

  2. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    In article <210220041903277207%anony-mouse@hole.in.the.wall.com>,
    Anony-mouse wrote:

    > I've just replaced the original 6GB hard drive in my 266MHz Beige G3
    > (MacOS 9.2) with a brand new 120GB drive. The System Profiler says it's
    > 120GB, but Drive Setup insists on only formatting it to a total of
    > 31.5GB, no matter how many partitions I choose.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?? Or is this a
    > limitation of the older ATA BUS? (

    D'OH!!

    To answer my own question, I forgot to change the silly default jumper
    from "Cable" to "Master". Move that tiny white piece and the drive
    formats properly as 115GB.

    "You fool Stimpy". )
    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

  3. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    Anony-mouse wrote:

    > I've just replaced the original 6GB hard drive in my 266MHz Beige G3
    > (MacOS 9.2) with a brand new 120GB drive. The System Profiler says it's
    > 120GB, but Drive Setup insists on only formatting it to a total of
    > 31.5GB, no matter how many partitions I choose.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?? Or is this a
    > limitation of the older ATA BUS?

    The latter, I'm afraid -- you're bumping your head against the 32 GB
    addressable-range ceiling the older machines have.

    My advice: put the 6 GB drive back in (or try and find something larger
    but still less than 32 GB), and either get an ATA controller card for a
    PCI slot (which is what I did) or get an external Firewire drive
    enclosure and a Firewire card.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,

  4. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 1:34:11 -0500, Geoffrey wrote
    (in message <1g9kj3p.11w6wsdh92vo2N@[192.168.0.170]>):

    > Anony-mouse wrote:
    >
    >> I've just replaced the original 6GB hard drive in my 266MHz Beige G3
    >> (MacOS 9.2) with a brand new 120GB drive. The System Profiler says it's
    >> 120GB, but Drive Setup insists on only formatting it to a total of
    >> 31.5GB, no matter how many partitions I choose.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?? Or is this a
    >> limitation of the older ATA BUS?

    > The latter, I'm afraid -- you're bumping your head against the 32 GB
    > addressable-range ceiling the older machines have.

    There ain't no such thing. I've got a whole bunch of beiges which have 40 and
    60 GB drives in 'em. The ATA/33 interface in beiges can handle up to 128 GB.
    After that you have to get an ATA/133 card.

    > My advice: put the 6 GB drive back in (or try and find something larger
    > but still less than 32 GB), and either get an ATA controller card for a
    > PCI slot (which is what I did) or get an external Firewire drive
    > enclosure and a Firewire card.
    >

    > Geoffrey
    >
    > (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

  5. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    In article <0001HW.BC5E695A00D358A6F02845B0@enews.newsguy.com>, Charles
    Dyer wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 1:34:11 -0500, Geoffrey wrote
    > (in message <1g9kj3p.11w6wsdh92vo2N@[192.168.0.170]>):
    >
    > > Anony-mouse wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've just replaced the original 6GB hard drive in my 266MHz Beige G3
    > >> (MacOS 9.2) with a brand new 120GB drive. The System Profiler says it's
    > >> 120GB, but Drive Setup insists on only formatting it to a total of
    > >> 31.5GB, no matter how many partitions I choose.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?? Or is this a
    > >> limitation of the older ATA BUS?

    > > The latter, I'm afraid -- you're bumping your head against the 32 GB
    > > addressable-range ceiling the older machines have.

    > There ain't no such thing. I've got a whole bunch of beiges which have 40 and
    > 60 GB drives in 'em. The ATA/33 interface in beiges can handle up to 128 GB.
    > After that you have to get an ATA/133 card.

    Charles is right, there is no limit at 32GB for hard drives. I simply
    forgot to move the silly little jumper that by default is set to Cable,
    which doesn't nothing on a Mac. I moved that, re-formatted the drive
    and it now works perfectly.

    The 32GB limit is on older Windows PCs where you than have to play in
    the BIOS to get it working. Thank God we're intelligent enough to use
    Macs. )

    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

  6. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    If you check the specs you'll find the onboard IDE controller in the beige
    G3 is only 16.6MB/s, not ATA/33 speed. As you might expect, your new 120GB
    drive is really being limited by that clunky interface.

    > > There ain't no such thing. I've got a whole bunch of beiges which have

    40 and
    > > 60 GB drives in 'em. The ATA/33 interface in beiges can handle up to 128

    GB.
    > > After that you have to get an ATA/133 card.

    > Charles is right, there is no limit at 32GB for hard drives. I simply
    > forgot to move the silly little jumper that by default is set to Cable,
    > which doesn't nothing on a Mac. I moved that, re-formatted the drive
    > and it now works perfectly.
    >
    > The 32GB limit is on older Windows PCs where you than have to play in
    > the BIOS to get it working. Thank God we're intelligent enough to use
    > Macs. )
    >

    > _
    > _/ \___
    > Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    > "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

  7. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    In article ,
    "Agent Smith" wrote:

    > If you check the specs you'll find the onboard IDE controller in the beige
    > G3 is only 16.6MB/s, not ATA/33 speed. As you might expect, your new 120GB
    > drive is really being limited by that clunky interface.

    I know, but it wasn't really the speed that I was aiming for, but the
    size. I had completely filled my original 6GB drive and an added 4GB
    drive. The 120GB was on sale and was almost as cheap as some of the
    smaller drives at other places, so I got this one.

    Plus I can simply unplug it and plug it into a G5 if I decided to
    upgrade later this year.
    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

  8. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    Anony-mouse wrote:

    > Charles is right, there is no limit at 32GB for hard drives.

    Odd. I've got a rev A desktop G3 that flatly refuses to recognise
    anything bigger than 32 GB, no matter how I set the jumpers.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,
    (b) quoted material exceeds 75% of total message content, and/or
    (c) HTML is used to format text and/or embed non-ASCII items.

  9. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 4:11:13 -0500, Geoffrey wrote
    (in message <1g9ma2d.193kjan1ardhhaN@[192.168.0.170]>):

    > Anony-mouse wrote:
    >
    >> Charles is right, there is no limit at 32GB for hard drives.

    > Odd. I've got a rev A desktop G3 that flatly refuses to recognise
    > anything bigger than 32 GB, no matter how I set the jumpers.
    >

    > Geoffrey
    >
    > (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)

    Something's wrong with either the Mac or the drive, 'cause there are no less
    than nine rev A G3s at the office with 40 or 60 GB drives. In all cases the
    new drives were installed after the factory drives (WD Caviar 3340s, IIRC)
    went belly-up. All are installed with nice new ribbon cables, and have the
    the jumpers set to 'Master'. All formatted with the then current version of
    Drive Setup.

    In addition, my original (and now deceased) FireWire fixit drive was a Maxtor
    40 GB drive stuck in a 3rd-party FireWire case. I got it before OS X came
    out, and Drive Setup didn't (and doesn't) format FireWire drives, so I used
    the machine most handy to set it up: a beige desktop. I opened it up, pulled
    the CD, put the 40 GB drive in its place, started up, formatted the drive
    (got 38.something GB) and then shut down and replaced the CD. Not only does
    the _hard drive_ ATA connector port support at least 60 GB drives to my
    certain knowledge 'cause I had two such drive running on rev A beiges up to
    yesterday, but the _CD_ port supports at least up to 40 GB. Only two of the
    beiges around here are anything but rev A, so as _all_ the beiges have drives
    of at least 40 GB size... We used to have a lot more beiges. We sold 'em. Got
    good prices for 'em in part because all of them had large (i.e., 40 GB or
    more) drives in them.

    it's easy enough to check. Just get a 40 GB drive, they're cheap, and attach
    to any beige. Format with Drive Setup.

    The only machines around here which still have drives smaller than 40 GB are
    older iMacs and pre-G3 Macs, and the reason for the iMacs not having larger
    drives is that it's too damn much work to replace the drive unless I have to.
    We no longer have very many pre-G3 Macs. We used to have swarms.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to
    our own. Bend over right now. Resistance is futile.

  10. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    In article <0001HW.BC5F501600FA8DB5F04075B0@enews.newsguy.com>, Charles
    Dyer wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 4:11:13 -0500, Geoffrey wrote
    > (in message <1g9ma2d.193kjan1ardhhaN@[192.168.0.170]>):
    >
    > > Anony-mouse wrote:
    > >
    > >> Charles is right, there is no limit at 32GB for hard drives.

    > > Odd. I've got a rev A desktop G3 that flatly refuses to recognise
    > > anything bigger than 32 GB, no matter how I set the jumpers.
    > >

    > > Geoffrey
    > >
    > > (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    > >

    > Something's wrong with either the Mac or the drive, 'cause there are no less
    > than nine rev A G3s at the office with 40 or 60 GB drives. In all cases the
    > new drives were installed after the factory drives (WD Caviar 3340s, IIRC)
    > went belly-up. All are installed with nice new ribbon cables, and have the
    > the jumpers set to 'Master'. All formatted with the then current version of
    > Drive Setup.
    >
    > In addition, my original (and now deceased) FireWire fixit drive was a Maxtor
    > 40 GB drive stuck in a 3rd-party FireWire case. I got it before OS X came
    > out, and Drive Setup didn't (and doesn't) format FireWire drives, so I used
    > the machine most handy to set it up: a beige desktop. I opened it up, pulled
    > the CD, put the 40 GB drive in its place, started up, formatted the drive
    > (got 38.something GB) and then shut down and replaced the CD. Not only does
    > the _hard drive_ ATA connector port support at least 60 GB drives to my
    > certain knowledge 'cause I had two such drive running on rev A beiges up to
    > yesterday, but the _CD_ port supports at least up to 40 GB. Only two of the
    > beiges around here are anything but rev A, so as _all_ the beiges have drives
    > of at least 40 GB size... We used to have a lot more beiges. We sold 'em. Got
    > good prices for 'em in part because all of them had large (i.e., 40 GB or
    > more) drives in them.
    >
    > it's easy enough to check. Just get a 40 GB drive, they're cheap, and attach
    > to any beige. Format with Drive Setup.
    >
    > The only machines around here which still have drives smaller than 40 GB are
    > older iMacs and pre-G3 Macs, and the reason for the iMacs not having larger
    > drives is that it's too damn much work to replace the drive unless I have to.
    > We no longer have very many pre-G3 Macs. We used to have swarms.

    Perhaps older versions of the Mac OS and Drive Setup have problems with
    bigger drives. I'm using Mac OS 9.2.2 now, but never tried a new hard
    drive with the machine's original Mac OS 8.x.
    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

  11. Re: Beige G3 hard drive upgrade question

    check your jumpers, you must have installed them for the 32gb position
    master.

    Anony-mouse wrote:

    > I've just replaced the original 6GB hard drive in my 266MHz Beige G3
    > (MacOS 9.2) with a brand new 120GB drive. The System Profiler says it's
    > 120GB, but Drive Setup insists on only formatting it to a total of
    > 31.5GB, no matter how many partitions I choose.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?? Or is this a
    > limitation of the older ATA BUS? (
    >
    > _
    > _/ \___
    > Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \