DLT drive?? - Storage

This is a discussion on DLT drive?? - Storage ; Greetings everyone, bought a Compaq DLT 15/30 2000XLT tape drive on ebay. good price, looked good.. Also, got me a Adaptech SCSI 2930 mac PCI card.. and a cable, and terminator. Plugged it all in.. drive has "Operate Handle" light ...

  1. DLT drive??

    Greetings everyone,

    bought a Compaq DLT 15/30 2000XLT tape drive on ebay. good price,
    looked good..

    Also, got me a Adaptech SCSI 2930 mac PCI card.. and a cable, and
    terminator.

    Plugged it all in.. drive has "Operate Handle" light on, heard it..
    looks like it works..

    Unfortunately, no manual.. was hoping I didn't need it.

    Computer is a G4 quicksilver, with OSX 10.3 "panther". I click over to
    system profile.. I see SCSI bus on SCIS Device Tree, but I don't see
    that it looks like the Mac is seeing any DLT tape drives..

    Now what?

    Thanks to all that help..

    -Richard

  2. Re: DLT drive??

    In article , Richard
    Ragon wrote:

    > Greetings everyone,
    >
    > bought a Compaq DLT 15/30 2000XLT tape drive on ebay. good price,
    > looked good..
    >
    > Also, got me a Adaptech SCSI 2930 mac PCI card.. and a cable, and
    > terminator.
    >
    > Plugged it all in.. drive has "Operate Handle" light on, heard it..
    > looks like it works..
    >
    > Unfortunately, no manual.. was hoping I didn't need it.
    >
    > Computer is a G4 quicksilver, with OSX 10.3 "panther". I click over to
    > system profile.. I see SCSI bus on SCIS Device Tree, but I don't see
    > that it looks like the Mac is seeing any DLT tape drives..
    >
    > Now what?
    >
    > Thanks to all that help..
    >
    > -Richard

    Tape drives don't show up on the desktop like disk drives.
    They can only be accessed with backup software like Dantz Retrospect.
    Other than Retrospect you shouldn't need anything else.
    I used 5 GB Exabyte tape drives for years to do regular backups on my
    Macs.
    Now I just burn multiple CDRs.

  3. Re: DLT drive??

    Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

    > In article , Richard
    > Ragon wrote:
    >

    >>Greetings everyone,
    >>
    >>bought a Compaq DLT 15/30 2000XLT tape drive on ebay. good price,
    >>looked good..
    >>
    >>Also, got me a Adaptech SCSI 2930 mac PCI card.. and a cable, and
    >>terminator.
    >>
    >>Plugged it all in.. drive has "Operate Handle" light on, heard it..
    >>looks like it works..
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, no manual.. was hoping I didn't need it.
    >>
    >>Computer is a G4 quicksilver, with OSX 10.3 "panther". I click over to
    >>system profile.. I see SCSI bus on SCIS Device Tree, but I don't see
    >>that it looks like the Mac is seeing any DLT tape drives..
    >>
    >>Now what?
    >>
    >>Thanks to all that help..
    >>
    >>-Richard
    >>

    > Tape drives don't show up on the desktop like disk drives.
    > They can only be accessed with backup software like Dantz Retrospect.
    > Other than Retrospect you shouldn't need anything else.
    > I used 5 GB Exabyte tape drives for years to do regular backups on my
    > Macs.
    > Now I just burn multiple CDRs.

    I have DVD Studio Pro 2.0, which supports writting to DLT, and it
    doesn't show up on the list on DVDSP.

    Possibly a bad DLT drive? or bad SCSI card maybe even? What else can I
    try.

    Thanks
    -Richard

  4. Re: DLT drive??

    Richard Ragon wrote:

    > Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
    >
    >> Tape drives don't show up on the desktop like disk drives.
    >> They can only be accessed with backup software like Dantz Retrospect.
    >> Other than Retrospect you shouldn't need anything else.
    >> I used 5 GB Exabyte tape drives for years to do regular backups on my
    >> Macs.
    >> Now I just burn multiple CDRs.

    > I have DVD Studio Pro 2.0, which supports writting to DLT, and it
    > doesn't show up on the list on DVDSP.
    >
    > Possibly a bad DLT drive? or bad SCSI card maybe even? What else can I
    > try.

    As Ernie mentioned...Retrospect. Download a trial version of 6.0 from
    the Dantz web-site.

    Simon.

  5. Re: DLT drive??

    Simon Higgs wrote:

    > Richard Ragon wrote:
    >
    >> Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tape drives don't show up on the desktop like disk drives.
    >>> They can only be accessed with backup software like Dantz Retrospect.
    >>> Other than Retrospect you shouldn't need anything else.
    >>> I used 5 GB Exabyte tape drives for years to do regular backups on my
    >>> Macs.
    >>> Now I just burn multiple CDRs.

    >> I have DVD Studio Pro 2.0, which supports writting to DLT, and it
    >> doesn't show up on the list on DVDSP.
    >>
    >> Possibly a bad DLT drive? or bad SCSI card maybe even? What else can
    >> I try.

    > As Ernie mentioned...Retrospect. Download a trial version of 6.0 from
    > the Dantz web-site.

    Ok, did that.. Retrospect doesn't see it either. Does this look like
    bad hardware?

    Thanks everyone!

    -Richard

+ Reply to Thread