Help: HD upgrade on Pismo gone bad - Storage

This is a discussion on Help: HD upgrade on Pismo gone bad - Storage ; I upgraded my 500MHz Pismo (PowerBook G3 Firewire/2000) today. I installed two Crucial 512MB DIMM chips and a brand new 60GB MobilStor 5400RPM drive. After putting the PB back together, I booted from an external FW drive running the OS ...

  1. Help: HD upgrade on Pismo gone bad

    I upgraded my 500MHz Pismo (PowerBook G3 Firewire/2000) today. I
    installed two Crucial 512MB DIMM chips and a brand new 60GB MobilStor
    5400RPM drive. After putting the PB back together, I booted from
    an external FW drive running the OS 9.0.4 system I had transferred
    from my old 6GB hard drive. Everything seemed fine. 1 GB of RAM showed
    up in "About This Computer" and the new internal hard drive was mounted on
    the desktop. I used Drive Setup to create three partitions on the new
    drive. The plan was to install Panther (10.3) on one of the partitions
    because it seemed like the best way to make sure the RAM chips weren't
    faulty.

    I booted from Panther Install Disk #1. After completing the preliminary
    checks, the install process got to 3% before hanging. I waited 10-15
    minutes to make sure the freeze wasn't temporary and then rebooted the PB.

    The problem is that after the reboot, the internal HD no longer appeared.
    Not on the desktop, not in Apple System Profiler, not in Drive Setup, not
    in Disk Utility on the Panther Install disk, and not in the list of
    eligible drives during my second attempt to install Panther. I opened up
    the PB again to double-check that both ends of the HD ribbon cable were
    seated properly (one end to the logic board, the other to the HD). I
    zapped the PRAM. I reset the Power Manager. Nothing has helped so far.

    What else can I try? And what is the likely source of the problem? Was
    the aborted Panther install the cause? Except for the fact that I'm
    forced to boot from an external drive, everything else about the PB seems
    to be fine (display/RAM/ports/battery/CD-RW drive/keyboard).

    Thanks for any insight.

    Mark

  2. Re: Help: HD upgrade on Pismo gone bad

    Mark wrote:

    > What else can I try? And what is the likely source of the problem? Was

    Maybee the one and only idea i have, replace the ram modules, try your
    old ones. Check pismo firmware. Make sure you had the latest release.

    My pismo shows 4.18f5 as firmware. Panther works fine on a internal 40GB
    Fuidj hard drive. Size of panther partition is 15Gb.

    Regards, Robert

    --
    -= Home of DOIT-Archive =-
    ___________________________________

  3. Re: Help: HD upgrade on Pismo gone bad

    Mark a écrit:
    > I upgraded my 500MHz Pismo (PowerBook G3 Firewire/2000) today.

    > The problem is that after the reboot, the internal HD no longer appeared.
    > Not on the desktop, not in Apple System Profiler, not in Drive Setup, not
    > in Disk Utility on the Panther Install disk, and not in the list of
    > eligible drives during my second attempt to install Panther. I opened up
    > the PB again to double-check that both ends of the HD ribbon cable were
    > seated properly (one end to the logic board, the other to the HD). I
    > zapped the PRAM. I reset the Power Manager. Nothing has helped so far.
    >
    > What else can I try? And what is the likely source of the problem? Was
    > the aborted Panther install the cause? Except for the fact that I'm
    > forced to boot from an external drive, everything else about the PB seems
    > to be fine (display/RAM/ports/battery/CD-RW drive/keyboard).

    I suggest you rather booted directly from the Panther installation CD,
    and when the first dialog appears, go to the menu bar and run the Disk
    Utility and then (only then) prepare your brand new disk with three
    partitions ...then leave the disk utility and continue the installation
    .... it's the way I used for my 1Gb ram 60Gb hd pismo ....
    Just try .... this is perfectly costless

    If you don't succeed this way, let's try the good old Silverlining from
    os 9.

    Jo

  4. Re: Help: HD upgrade on Pismo gone bad [update]

    gastro@wanadoodead.be wrote:

    >I suggest you rather booted directly from the Panther installation CD,
    >and when the first dialog appears, go to the menu bar and run the Disk
    >Utility

    ....snip...
    >If you don't succeed this way, let's try the good old Silverlining from
    >os 9.

    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I had been using 9.0.4 for so long that
    I forgot Apple had that firmware update for 9.1 and above. I applied the
    update, but unfortunately, it didn't help. I also swapped out the RAM,
    tried booting from the Panther disk, tried Silverlining. I even put the
    old drive back in to rule out the possibility that the ribbon cable for
    the hard drive had been damaged. But my old drive mounted just fine, so
    it looks like the problem is with the new drive.

    I put the new drive into an empty 2.5" case with a firewire bridge and
    tried mounting it that way, first through the Finder, and then using
    that "Mount Me!" applescript, but still nothing. When I first connect the
    Firewire cable to the Mac, the drive starts to whir (quietly) like an
    engine that refuses to turn over before eventually going silent.

    So I guess the new question is: what other ways are there to force a
    troublesome drive to mount? It's a brand new drive. I can't believe that
    there is already some sort of physical internal damage causing these
    problems.

    I'm resigned to calling the retailer on Monday for an exchange, but I'm
    still open to any more suggestions in the meantime.

    Mark

    Previously, I wrote:
    >I upgraded my 500MHz Pismo (PowerBook G3 Firewire/2000) today. I
    >installed two Crucial 512MB DIMM chips and a brand new 60GB MobilStor
    >5400RPM drive. After putting the PB back together, I booted from
    >an external FW drive running the OS 9.0.4 system I had transferred
    >from my old 6GB hard drive. Everything seemed fine. 1 GB of RAM showed
    >up in "About This Computer" and the new internal hard drive was mounted
    >on the desktop. I used Drive Setup to create three partitions on the new
    >drive. The plan was to install Panther (10.3) on one of the partitions
    >because it seemed like the best way to make sure the RAM chips weren't
    >faulty.
    >
    >I booted from Panther Install Disk #1. After completing the preliminary
    >checks, the install process got to 3% before hanging. I waited 10-15
    >minutes to make sure the freeze wasn't temporary and then rebooted the
    >PB.
    >
    >The problem is that after the reboot, the internal HD no longer appeared.
    >Not on the desktop, not in Apple System Profiler, not in Drive Setup, not
    >in Disk Utility on the Panther Install disk, and not in the list of
    >eligible drives during my second attempt to install Panther. I opened up
    >the PB again to double-check that both ends of the HD ribbon cable were
    >seated properly (one end to the logic board, the other to the HD). I
    >zapped the PRAM. I reset the Power Manager. Nothing has helped so far.
    >
    >What else can I try? And what is the likely source of the problem? Was
    >the aborted Panther install the cause? Except for the fact that I'm
    >forced to boot from an external drive, everything else about the PB seems
    >to be fine (display/RAM/ports/battery/CD-RW drive/keyboard).

  5. Re: Help: HD upgrade on Pismo gone bad [update]

    Mark wrote:

    > So I guess the new question is: what other ways are there to force a
    > troublesome drive to mount? It's a brand new drive. I can't believe that
    > there is already some sort of physical internal damage causing these
    > problems.

    Grazy..
    Normaly you take a brand new drive, connect it, start the pismo, boot
    from X or 9.x CD an install the OS to the new drive. Hardware should
    detect the new drive automatically. Also you had the chance to make
    partions before installing mac os. Format is not needed.

    Same as on an external firewire case. (Easy to copy all with
    CarbonCopyCloner from the old to the new drive)

    > I'm resigned to calling the retailer on Monday for an exchange, but I'm
    > still open to any more suggestions in the meantime.

    Jep, that´s the best way.

    Regards, Robert
    --
    -= Home of DOIT-Archive =-