MP3 "downsampler"? - Storage

This is a discussion on MP3 "downsampler"? - Storage ; I've been recording a stereo 40kbps netcast for years and have been happy with it. Now the station has revamped its netcast and now only offers a mono 'cast at 30kpbs (unacceptable to me), and a stereo one at 128kbps ...

  1. MP3 "downsampler"?

    I've been recording a stereo 40kbps netcast for years and have been happy
    with it. Now the station has revamped its netcast and now only offers a mono
    'cast at 30kpbs (unacceptable to me), and a stereo one at 128kbps which
    sounds fabulous, but takes up way too much room on my HD (I archive many of
    these recordings and can't spare the storage space for such large files).

    Is there an MP3 editor that -- after I've recorded the 128kbps netcast --
    will allow me to save the file at a lower bit rate, say 40kbps? I know it
    will lose a bit of quality in the process, but the original 128kbps file is
    good enough that I can stand to lose a little in the conversion.

    Using OS X 10.3.2

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net

  2. Re: MP3 "downsampler"?

    I looked at QuickTime Pro. I tried opening an MP3 tune and choosing Export.
    MP3 isn't one of the choices there. I was hoping to find choices of kbps,
    etc. but MP3 isn't even listed.

    How does one save a file (any file) as an MP3 in QT?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  3. Re: MP3 "downsampler"?

    In article <0001HW.BC565AFD0004D695F03055B0@news.individual.ne t>,
    DaveC wrote:
    > Is there an MP3 editor that -- after I've recorded the 128kbps netcast --
    > will allow me to save the file at a lower bit rate, say 40kbps? I know it
    > will lose a bit of quality in the process, but the original 128kbps file is
    > good enough that I can stand to lose a little in the conversion.
    >
    > Using OS X 10.3.2

    Amadeus will do that - www.hairersoft.ch (shareware)

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser
    (remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)

  4. Re: MP3 "downsampler"?

    DaveC wrote:

    > I've been recording a stereo 40kbps netcast for years and have been happy
    > with it. Now the station has revamped its netcast and now only offers a mono
    > 'cast at 30kpbs (unacceptable to me), and a stereo one at 128kbps which
    > sounds fabulous, but takes up way too much room on my HD (I archive many of
    > these recordings and can't spare the storage space for such large files).
    >
    > Is there an MP3 editor that -- after I've recorded the 128kbps netcast --
    > will allow me to save the file at a lower bit rate, say 40kbps? I know it
    > will lose a bit of quality in the process, but the original 128kbps file is
    > good enough that I can stand to lose a little in the conversion.

    You can set the parameters for iTunes to whatever you want
    (iTunes>Preferences>Importing>Custom) and then convert your selection
    (Special>Convert Selection to MP3).

    Bill

    --
    Bill Jefferys/Department of Astronomy/University of Texas/Austin, TX 78712
    Email: replace 'warthog' with 'clyde' | Homepage: http://quasar.as.utexas.edu

  5. Re: MP3 "downsampler"?

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:36:19 -0800, Bill Jefferys wrote
    (in article ):

    > You can set the parameters for iTunes to whatever you want
    > (iTunes>Preferences>Importing>Custom) and then convert your selection
    > (Special>Convert Selection to MP3).

    I looked under iTunes Preferences > Importing, and the least-quality
    conversion is 128k. So, for this 128kbps file, I presume iTunes will do
    nothing but reduce the quality (because it puts the file through one cycle of
    decompress / compress) without reducing the size at all.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  6. Re: MP3 "downsampler"?

    Bill Jefferys wrote:
    > > You can set the parameters for iTunes to whatever you want
    > > (iTunes>Preferences>Importing>Custom) and then convert your selection
    > > (Special>Convert Selection to MP3).

    to which DaveC replied:
    > I looked under iTunes Preferences > Importing, and the least-quality
    > conversion is 128k. So, for this 128kbps file, I presume iTunes will do
    > nothing but reduce the quality (because it puts the file through one cycle of
    > decompress / compress) without reducing the size at all.

    Which version of iTunes are you using? On my v2.04 I can select (as
    Bill points out above) a custom import setting down to 8kbs. I assume
    later versions have at least that much control if not more.

    Dan K

  7. Re: MP3 "downsampler"?

    In article <0001HW.BC56873A000F351BF03055B0@news.individual.ne t>,
    DaveC wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:36:19 -0800, Bill Jefferys wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    > > You can set the parameters for iTunes to whatever you want
    > > (iTunes>Preferences>Importing>Custom) and then convert your selection
    > > (Special>Convert Selection to MP3).

    > I looked under iTunes Preferences > Importing, and the least-quality
    > conversion is 128k. So, for this 128kbps file, I presume iTunes will do
    > nothing but reduce the quality (because it puts the file through one cycle of
    > decompress / compress) without reducing the size at all.

    You have to click on the "custom" box. The standard minimum is 128K but the
    custom box allows you to go down to at least 40.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Jefferys/Department of Astronomy/University of Texas/Austin, TX 78712
    Email: replace 'warthog' with 'clyde' | Homepage: http://quasar.as.utexas.edu
    I report spammers to fraudinfo@psinet.com
    Finger for PGP Key: F7 11 FB 82 C6 21 D8 95 2E BD F7 6E 99 89 E1 82
    Unlawful to use this email address for unsolicited ads: USC Title 47 Sec 227

  8. Re: MP3 "downsampler"?

    > How does one save a file (any file) as an MP3 in QT?

    Buy the codec.
    I suspect it was a tradeoff Apple made with Fraunhofer:
    'We'll give mp4 away for free, and you can collect fees for mp3.'
    Might also be a way to "persuade" people that mp4 is better...

+ Reply to Thread