Disappearing USB flash drive in Jaguar - Storage

This is a discussion on Disappearing USB flash drive in Jaguar - Storage ; I have a generic USB flash drive that works great with OS 9, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. However, if my iBook is booted in OS X (Jaguar) and I insert the USB flash drive, after a few minutes the ...

  1. Disappearing USB flash drive in Jaguar

    I have a generic USB flash drive that works great with OS 9, Windows
    2000 and Windows XP.

    However, if my iBook is booted in OS X (Jaguar) and I insert the USB
    flash drive, after a few minutes the drive disappears and I get the OS
    X version of "the drive has disappeared, use the proper key
    combination to remove/unmount the drive."

    Why does the USB drive disappear in OS X, when it doesn't in OS 9, and
    what can I do to prevent it? Removing and reinserting the flash drive
    remounts it, but I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

  2. Re: Disappearing USB flash drive in Jaguar

    I've never seen this problem on my Pismo running OS 9.x or 10.2.4-8.
    Maybe you have a hardware problem?

    In article <4030e64b.3871249@news.newsguy.com>,
    hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

    > I have a generic USB flash drive that works great with OS 9, Windows
    > 2000 and Windows XP.
    >
    > However, if my iBook is booted in OS X (Jaguar) and I insert the USB
    > flash drive, after a few minutes the drive disappears and I get the OS
    > X version of "the drive has disappeared, use the proper key
    > combination to remove/unmount the drive."
    >
    > Why does the USB drive disappear in OS X, when it doesn't in OS 9, and
    > what can I do to prevent it? Removing and reinserting the flash drive
    > remounts it, but I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle.
    > H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    > http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net
    >
    > "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    > --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt
    >
    > Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!
    >
    > To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...

+ Reply to Thread