I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED! - Storage

This is a discussion on I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED! - Storage ; Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther! I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

  1. I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!

    I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)

    None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.

    After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    found out about this incompatibility problem.

    I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    mount there!

    So it appears now all three of my External Firewire drives are
    completely HOSED!

    One is only a just a few months old!!!

    Does anyone know if after experiencing this Panther problem if the
    drives can even be repaired???

  2. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article , LuvMacs
    wrote:

    > Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    > problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    >
    > I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    > are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)
    >
    > None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.
    >
    > After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    > found out about this incompatibility problem.
    >
    > I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    > mount there!
    >
    > So it appears now all three of my External Firewire drives are
    > completely HOSED!
    >
    > One is only a just a few months old!!!
    >
    > Does anyone know if after experiencing this Panther problem if the
    > drives can even be repaired???


    Have you tried to see if the computer can see them using System
    Profiler?

    Rob.

  3. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article ,
    LuvMacs wrote:

    :> Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    :> problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    :>
    :> I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    :> are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)
    :>
    :> None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.
    :>
    :> After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    :> found out about this incompatibility problem.
    :>
    :> I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    :> mount there!
    :>
    :> So it appears now all three of my External Firewire drives are
    :> completely HOSED!
    :>
    :> One is only a just a few months old!!!
    :>
    :> Does anyone know if after experiencing this Panther problem if the
    :> drives can even be repaired???

    There is no "pre-Firewire 400". The original FireWire standard was 400
    and just not called that. It's now become common practice to
    distinguish between them by putting 400 or 800 after the name.

    I haven't, to my recollection, seen ANY reports of this problem
    occurring with anything except FireWire 800 drives. And even then, the
    problem can supposedly be prevented by not restarting your Mac with one
    of them connected -- always connect after restart. In addition, all
    reports I've heard seem to indicate that the disk itself is not in any
    damaged, only that the data is corrupted. That's why it won't mount on
    your older system -- until you reinitialize it. In fact, Panther can
    reinitialize them just fine. Just be sure, if you really think it's
    behind the problems, to unmount and disconnect them before you shut down.

    You might want to visit macintouch.com and search their Panther reports
    for information. It seems to have a lot of helpful information.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  4. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:45:35 -0500, LuvMacs wrote
    (in message ):

    > Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    > problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    >
    > I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    > are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)


    no such animal.

    >
    > None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.


    LaCie has firmware for both 400 and 800.


    OWC, ditto. < http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/index.cfm?load=firewire.html>

    I'm sure that most others have done the same.

    >
    > After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    > found out about this incompatibility problem.


    which effectively does not exist for FW400s. I have, running right now, on my
    personal system:

    1 a 120 GB Seagate drive in a no-name Chinese made FW400 case

    2 a 80 GB Western Digital FW400 unit

    3 a 120 GB Maxtor drive in a no-name Taiwanese made FW400 case

    The Seagate is my boot drive for this machine. The other two are,
    respectively, the fixit drive I haul around to attend to home and office
    machines which need fixing, and backup for the boot drive. I have multiple
    FW400 units attached to machines at the office, mostly LaCie 200s. I have OS
    X 10.3.2 installed on all three FW drives, and on the internal drive in the
    Mac. Most of the office machines have 10.3.2 as well. (Some still have 10.2.8
    or 10.2.6 for sheer laziness reasons.) We have _never_ lost _even one_ drive
    to this alleged bug. We _have_ had drives go south for other reasons, dating
    back to OS X 10.0.x.

    >
    > I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    > mount there!


    That's because the directory is history.

    >
    > So it appears now all three of my External Firewire drives are
    > completely HOSED!


    You can recover the data using Data Rescue, so long as you don't screw things
    up by poking around first.

    >
    > One is only a just a few months old!!!


    Age matters not.

    >
    > Does anyone know if after experiencing this Panther problem if the
    > drives can even be repaired???


    Recover the data and reformat. Or just reformat.



    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to
    our own. Bend over right now. Resistance is futile.


  5. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article ,
    LuvMacs wrote:

    > Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    > problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    >


    I feel bad that you lost your data. But this problem is so well
    documented that you have only yourself to blame.

    Rule number 1 for doing any OS upgrade is to read the newsgroup archives
    to see if there are any known problems. Blindly installing anything is
    always dangerous.

    Allowing an OS upgrade to corrupt data is a bad mark for Apple. But you
    have the final responsibility for the machines under your management.

  6. FW Drives

    LuvMacs wrote:

    > Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    > problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    >
    > I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    > are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)
    >
    > None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.
    >
    > After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    > found out about this incompatibility problem.
    >
    > I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    > mount there!


    It's extremely unlikely that your Panther upgrade caused this. Check the
    connections. Try them on another machine. Leave out the caps.

    John McWilliams

  7. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    I had a problem but was able to trace it to a conflict with my iDisk
    being set up to have a local copy. Once I disable that and trashed the
    copy problems went away. To fix the drive, I had to boot into OS 9,
    then I was able to use DiskWarrior to repair the drive. I didn't lose
    any data.


    In article , LuvMacs
    wrote:

    > Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    > problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    >
    > I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    > are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)
    >
    > None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.
    >
    > After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    > found out about this incompatibility problem.
    >
    > I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    > mount there!
    >
    > So it appears now all three of my External Firewire drives are
    > completely HOSED!
    >
    > One is only a just a few months old!!!
    >
    > Does anyone know if after experiencing this Panther problem if the
    > drives can even be repaired???


  8. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article ,
    LuvMacs wrote:

    > Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    > problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    >
    > I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    > are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)
    >
    > None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.
    >
    > After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    > found out about this incompatibility problem.
    >
    > I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    > mount there!
    >
    > So it appears now all three of my External Firewire drives are
    > completely HOSED!
    >
    > One is only a just a few months old!!!
    >
    > Does anyone know if after experiencing this Panther problem if the
    > drives can even be repaired???


    If you were stupid enough to not do you homework BEFORE you upgraded,
    then you got what you deserved. No one is to blame but YOU. This has
    been a known issue since Panther shipped.

  9. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    To update what progress I've made with my firewire drives...the drives
    apparently are not hosed after all.

    When I hook them up individually to Powerbook (running Panther) they
    mount and I do not get any error msgs saying they had been improperly
    put away and they no longer seem to be behaving oddly.

    I've always run the three of them chained to one another and up until
    Sunday, I had not seen this problem occur.

    I suspect perhaps there may be a bad firewire cable involved and by
    process of elimination, I hope to determine which one it might be...IF
    that is/was the problem.

    Needless to say, I was quite relieved when I was able to get to all the
    drives individually. Let them run for hours and the problem I previously
    saw never occurred again.

    I sincerely appreciate all those who responded in a considerate, helpful
    manner and hope you have a great day!

  10. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article , LuvMacs
    wrote:

    > To update what progress I've made with my firewire drives...the drives
    > apparently are not hosed after all.
    >
    > When I hook them up individually to Powerbook (running Panther) they
    > mount and I do not get any error msgs saying they had been improperly
    > put away and they no longer seem to be behaving oddly.
    >
    > I've always run the three of them chained to one another and up until
    > Sunday, I had not seen this problem occur.
    >
    > I suspect perhaps there may be a bad firewire cable involved and by
    > process of elimination, I hope to determine which one it might be...IF
    > that is/was the problem.
    >
    > Needless to say, I was quite relieved when I was able to get to all the
    > drives individually. Let them run for hours and the problem I previously
    > saw never occurred again.
    >
    > I sincerely appreciate all those who responded in a considerate, helpful
    > manner and hope you have a great day!


    Just a helpful suggestion ... remember how fearful you were of losing
    all that data and then plan a good backup system so that you will not
    be in danger of losing the data completely again. Consider another,
    much larger firewire drive -- not kept in use -- for backups only, or
    writeable CDs or DVDs, or a DAT drive.

  11. Grateful that Firewire Drives are not hosed

    LuvMacs wrote:
    > To update what progress I've made with my firewire drives...the drives
    > apparently are not hosed after all.
    >
    > When I hook them up individually to Powerbook (running Panther) they
    > mount and I do not get any error msgs saying they had been improperly
    > put away and they no longer seem to be behaving oddly.
    >

    You are most welcome.

    John McWilliams

    --
    When asked why he still lives in the UK despite working so much in the
    US, John Cleese had this to say:
    Number one, we speak English and you don't.
    Number two, when we hold a world championship for a particular
    sport, we invite teams from other countries.
    Number three, when one meets the Head of State in England, one has
    to go down on one knee only.

  12. Re: FW Drives

    In article , jpmcwilliams
    wrote:

    > LuvMacs wrote:
    >
    > > Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    > > problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    > >
    > > I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    > > are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)
    > >
    > > None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.
    > >
    > > After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    > > found out about this incompatibility problem.
    > >
    > > I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    > > mount there!

    >
    > It's extremely unlikely that your Panther upgrade caused this. Check the
    > connections. Try them on another machine. Leave out the caps.
    >
    > John McWilliams




    I think that unsubstantiated with fact that yes they are hosed. I lost
    three drives. All three had one common element, they were older firewire
    drives. Since then I've bought new drives and have not had one firewire
    problem with Panther 10.3.2

  13. Re: FW Drives

    Smokerz wrote:
    > In article , jpmcwilliams
    > wrote:
    >
    >>LuvMacs wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just upgraded to Panther this weekend and had absolutely NO idea about
    >>>problems with some external Firewire drives and Panther!
    >>>
    >>>I have 3 external Firewire drives. One is Firewire 400 drive and other
    >>>are pre-Firewire 400 (not sure what they're considered)
    >>>
    >>>None are the 800 drives that firmware is available for.
    >>>
    >>>After problem began and I went online to investigate, and only then
    >>>found out about this incompatibility problem.
    >>>
    >>>I tried mounting the drives on my old Powerbook and none of them will
    >>>mount there!

    >>
    >>It's extremely unlikely that your Panther upgrade caused this. Check the
    >>connections. Try them on another machine. Leave out the caps.
    >>

    >
    > I think that unsubstantiated with fact that yes they are hosed. I lost
    > three drives. All three had one common element, they were older firewire
    > drives. Since then I've bought new drives and have not had one firewire
    > problem with Panther 10.3.2


    Happily, the OP tells us in another branch that the drives were not in
    fact damaged.
    My point was that his pissed-offedness at Panther was probably
    unwarranted, and his drives were unlikely to have been damaged.

    The LaCie guys told me at MacWorld that the problem was limited (in
    their company's case at least) to folks who installed Panther with the
    drive(s) mounted, and then only for certain ones. Still, a huge problem
    if you're one of the few.

    John McWilliams

    --
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    - Albert Einstein

  14. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In comp.sys.mac.system fishfry wrote:
    > Rule number 1 for doing any OS upgrade is to read the newsgroup
    > archives to see if there are any known problems.


    How many mere-mortal users of Macs even know about newsgroups?

    rick jones
    still have to pull the trigger on a Panther upgrade...
    --
    firebug n, the idiot who tosses a lit cigarette out his car window
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  15. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    I once hosed a fw drive by disconnecting the cable before properly
    unmounting the drive. This was OS X pre-Panther days. It never worked
    after that. Not even reformatting fixes it.

    Don't make the same mistake--

    David

  16. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article ,
    David Coleman wrote:

    > I once hosed a fw drive by disconnecting the cable before properly
    > unmounting the drive. This was OS X pre-Panther days. It never worked
    > after that. Not even reformatting fixes it.


    I do that all the time (by accident of course). Never hosed a drive,
    always works on reboot. This is with an OWC drive, it's been very
    reliable. I have a Maxtor drive that's been a piece of junk since day
    one, I finally took the enclosure apart and turned it into a very
    expensive internal IDE.

  17. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article
    , fishfry
    wrote:

    > In article ,
    > David Coleman wrote:
    >
    > > I once hosed a fw drive by disconnecting the cable before properly
    > > unmounting the drive. This was OS X pre-Panther days. It never worked
    > > after that. Not even reformatting fixes it.

    >
    > I do that all the time (by accident of course). Never hosed a drive,
    > always works on reboot. This is with an OWC drive, it's been very
    > reliable. I have a Maxtor drive that's been a piece of junk since day
    > one, I finally took the enclosure apart and turned it into a very
    > expensive internal IDE.


    I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on Usenet
    that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this too was
    pre-Panther.

  18. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article <100420041020323150%reply_to@newsgroup.INVALID>,
    Chris Moore wrote:

    > In article
    > , fishfry
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > David Coleman wrote:
    > >
    > > > I once hosed a fw drive by disconnecting the cable before properly
    > > > unmounting the drive. This was OS X pre-Panther days. It never worked
    > > > after that. Not even reformatting fixes it.

    > >
    > > I do that all the time (by accident of course). Never hosed a drive,
    > > always works on reboot. This is with an OWC drive, it's been very
    > > reliable. I have a Maxtor drive that's been a piece of junk since day
    > > one, I finally took the enclosure apart and turned it into a very
    > > expensive internal IDE.

    >
    > I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    > they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on Usenet
    > that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this too was
    > pre-Panther.


    I had a Maxtor die after 2 years of use with 3 year warranty. They
    replaced it, but the replacement died within a week. Next replacement
    still works.

    I had a brand new Western Digital fail also within a week of purchase
    and install. They replaced it with one which continues to work fine. 3
    year warranty on that one too.

    I have had two Seagates which have always functioned well with no
    problems.

    Several company's have gone to 1 year warranty on cheaper drives. This
    does not sound good based on my experience with ATA IDE drives. It
    likely is worth the effort to get drives with 3 year warranty.

    I am currently in market for a new drive, and looked at a IBM/Hatachi
    drive. Are they a good manufacturer? 3 year warranty on them (160GB
    drive).

    I likely will have to use a firewire enclosure too with older G4 to get
    beyond the 128GB limit on older ATA controlers.

    Morenuf
    --
    morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid

  19. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article
    ,
    morenuf wrote:

    > In article <100420041020323150%reply_to@newsgroup.INVALID>,
    > Chris Moore wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > , fishfry
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article ,
    > > > David Coleman wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > I once hosed a fw drive by disconnecting the cable before properly
    > > > > unmounting the drive. This was OS X pre-Panther days. It never worked
    > > > > after that. Not even reformatting fixes it.
    > > >
    > > > I do that all the time (by accident of course). Never hosed a drive,
    > > > always works on reboot. This is with an OWC drive, it's been very
    > > > reliable. I have a Maxtor drive that's been a piece of junk since day
    > > > one, I finally took the enclosure apart and turned it into a very
    > > > expensive internal IDE.

    > >
    > > I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    > > they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on Usenet
    > > that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this too was
    > > pre-Panther.

    >
    > I had a Maxtor die after 2 years of use with 3 year warranty. They
    > replaced it, but the replacement died within a week. Next replacement
    > still works.
    >
    > I had a brand new Western Digital fail also within a week of purchase
    > and install. They replaced it with one which continues to work fine. 3
    > year warranty on that one too.
    >
    > I have had two Seagates which have always functioned well with no
    > problems.
    >
    > Several company's have gone to 1 year warranty on cheaper drives. This
    > does not sound good based on my experience with ATA IDE drives. It
    > likely is worth the effort to get drives with 3 year warranty.
    >
    > I am currently in market for a new drive, and looked at a IBM/Hatachi
    > drive. Are they a good manufacturer? 3 year warranty on them (160GB
    > drive).
    >
    > I likely will have to use a firewire enclosure too with older G4 to get
    > beyond the 128GB limit on older ATA controlers.


    Besides the Maxtor my only other experiance with a FW drive is a LaCie
    Pocket Drive. They tend to be more expensive for fewer MB's storage but
    it suits my need of moving from one computer to another. Some days I'll
    have it plugged into 50 computers in one day. It's been nothing but
    100% reliable for me.

  20. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In comp.sys.mac.system Chris Moore wrote:

    > I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    > they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on Usenet
    > that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this too was
    > pre-Panther.


    Strange. I have several Maxtor drives that are around four years old
    and they all work fine.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast