I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED! - Storage

This is a discussion on I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED! - Storage ; In article , stan@temple.edu wrote: > In comp.sys.mac.system Chris Moore wrote: > > > I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said > > they were great drives. Got it home then ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

  1. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article , stan@temple.edu wrote:

    > In comp.sys.mac.system Chris Moore wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    > > they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on Usenet
    > > that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this too was
    > > pre-Panther.

    >
    > Strange. I have several Maxtor drives that are around four years old
    > and they all work fine.


    My Maxtor is still chugging away after 2 + years and many hours. I also
    have that IBM drive that was suppose to be failure prone almost as long,
    still going. Having said that I'll be doomed to multiple hard drive
    failure now....well everything is backed up that needs to be....I think.

    Dale
    --


  2. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    From Chris Moore:
    }
    } I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    } they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on
    } Usenet that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this
    } too was pre-Panther.
    }
    I do get confused. Maxtor uses the Quantum mechanism, as does La Cie,
    correct? The common alternative mechanism is Seagate. It seems to me
    that comparing Maxtor to Seagate is similar to comparing Apple to Intel,
    in that Seagate uses their own mechanism whereas Maxtor uses a Quantum
    mechanism with a Maxtor controller, am I right?

    As I recall, when I bought my Cube and replaced the OEM HD with a
    quieter, slightly larger Maxtor, the Apple drive I removed had the
    Maxtor name on it.

  3. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    Maxtor bought Quantum -
    so Maxtor uses Maxtor bits.

    WD - i do not knw what they use --
    BUT

    Seagate's equipment is (in my experience) far suppior to either maxtor WD.
    I just wish they made a drive larger than 200g



    Luddite Wacko wrote:
    > From Chris Moore:
    > }
    > } I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    > } they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on
    > } Usenet that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this
    > } too was pre-Panther.
    > }
    > I do get confused. Maxtor uses the Quantum mechanism, as does La Cie,
    > correct? The common alternative mechanism is Seagate. It seems to me
    > that comparing Maxtor to Seagate is similar to comparing Apple to Intel,
    > in that Seagate uses their own mechanism whereas Maxtor uses a Quantum
    > mechanism with a Maxtor controller, am I right?
    >
    > As I recall, when I bought my Cube and replaced the OEM HD with a
    > quieter, slightly larger Maxtor, the Apple drive I removed had the
    > Maxtor name on it.


  4. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In article ,
    "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:

    > Maxtor bought Quantum -
    > so Maxtor uses Maxtor bits.
    >
    > WD - i do not knw what they use --
    > BUT
    >
    > Seagate's equipment is (in my experience) far suppior to either maxtor WD.
    > I just wish they made a drive larger than 200g
    >
    >
    >

    Times change and Technology marches on. I guess all hard disk
    manufacturers products are okay. Some better than others. Some lemons
    produced by all at times, and sometimes quality assurance slips. Luck of
    the draw or pot luck when you buy a drive.

    I did notice some (Maxtor) going to 1 year warranty on all but their
    highest price drives, where everybody had 3 year warranty before.

    I have had WD, Maxtor, and Seagate drives. The least reliable was the
    one Maxtor drive I have owned. Maxtor did replace it under warranty, but
    only with 3 duds (one refurb) they foisted on me over two months
    downtime. WD replaced two of their drive I had under warranty promptly.
    Never had problems with the two Seagate drives I have owned.

    My little sample population is certainly not statistically valid to
    determine what manufacturers are lacking in quality.

    I just bought a 200GB Seagate 7200 8MB buffer and very happy with it.

    Generally, I have had poorer luck with IDE drives than my SCSI drives on
    older Macs. That could be a fluke too.

    Not too sure any of the MTBF (mean time before failure) ratings for
    consumer drives are really based on 24/7 (always on ) computer.

    Morenuf
    --
    morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid

  5. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    something I have noticed -
    WD Offers a 1 year warrentee on the 250g 2mb cache drive (available for
    about $170

    BUT

    WD offers 3 yr warrentee on the 250g 8mb cache drive available for about
    $175

    (my opinion) me thinks that there is some drive testing going on, and
    the drives that do not do well get 2mb cache and 1yr warrentee

    morenuf wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Maxtor bought Quantum -
    >>so Maxtor uses Maxtor bits.
    >>
    >>WD - i do not knw what they use --
    >>BUT
    >>
    >>Seagate's equipment is (in my experience) far suppior to either maxtor WD.
    >>I just wish they made a drive larger than 200g
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Times change and Technology marches on. I guess all hard disk
    > manufacturers products are okay. Some better than others. Some lemons
    > produced by all at times, and sometimes quality assurance slips. Luck of
    > the draw or pot luck when you buy a drive.
    >
    > I did notice some (Maxtor) going to 1 year warranty on all but their
    > highest price drives, where everybody had 3 year warranty before.
    >
    > I have had WD, Maxtor, and Seagate drives. The least reliable was the
    > one Maxtor drive I have owned. Maxtor did replace it under warranty, but
    > only with 3 duds (one refurb) they foisted on me over two months
    > downtime. WD replaced two of their drive I had under warranty promptly.
    > Never had problems with the two Seagate drives I have owned.
    >
    > My little sample population is certainly not statistically valid to
    > determine what manufacturers are lacking in quality.
    >
    > I just bought a 200GB Seagate 7200 8MB buffer and very happy with it.
    >
    > Generally, I have had poorer luck with IDE drives than my SCSI drives on
    > older Macs. That could be a fluke too.
    >
    > Not too sure any of the MTBF (mean time before failure) ratings for
    > consumer drives are really based on 24/7 (always on ) computer.
    >
    > Morenuf


  6. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    Luddite Wacko wrote:
    > From Chris Moore:
    > }
    > } I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    > } they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on
    > } Usenet that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this
    > } too was pre-Panther.
    > }
    > I do get confused. Maxtor uses the Quantum mechanism, as does La Cie,
    > correct? The common alternative mechanism is Seagate. It seems to me
    > that comparing Maxtor to Seagate is similar to comparing Apple to Intel,
    > in that Seagate uses their own mechanism whereas Maxtor uses a Quantum
    > mechanism with a Maxtor controller, am I right?
    >
    > As I recall, when I bought my Cube and replaced the OEM HD with a
    > quieter, slightly larger Maxtor, the Apple drive I removed had the
    > Maxtor name on it.


    Doesn't stop Apple from installing lemons....
    I've just replaced 2 IBM "Deathstar" drives in an X-Serve
    (one failed, but as a mirror raid, I chose to replace both)
    with the Apple logo + "Apple HDD Firmware 2002"

    So whose mechanism does IBM use?
    These were made in Hungary, but I've seen Deathstars from
    Thailand, China and Mexico. I'm not against outsourcing,
    I am aginst poor QA

  7. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!



    Peter KERR wrote:

    > Luddite Wacko wrote:
    >
    >>From Chris Moore:

    > Doesn't stop Apple from installing lemons....
    > I've just replaced 2 IBM "Deathstar" drives in an X-Serve
    > (one failed, but as a mirror raid, I chose to replace both)
    > with the Apple logo + "Apple HDD Firmware 2002"
    >
    > So whose mechanism does IBM use?
    > These were made in Hungary, but I've seen Deathstars from
    > Thailand, China and Mexico. I'm not against outsourcing,
    > I am aginst poor QA


    IBM made their own drives.
    they had a *really* bad run with the (as I recall) 60 - 75g Deskstar
    line. I do not know exactly how bad (what % failed) but from anecdotal
    evidence is seems that maybe 25% failed.

    At the same time - the only portable drive (of the same manufacture
    time) other than Toshiba that had/has any durability was/are the IBM
    Travelstars.

    IBM sold their drive manufacturing facilities to Hitachi. Hitachi seems
    to have fixed the QA issues, as I have not been seeing reports of their
    (Hitachi) drives failing.

  8. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    I am pissed too. Here is what happened. I have the new powerbook G4 12inch
    os X.3.4
    Had a new desktar 180 which I fixed into a ME-320X external kit. Ok, so I
    popped in a cd that I uploaded to the externalHD, and I have like 200,
    well during the third one, the external HD disconnected itself and since
    has not been usable. erorr -5, missing trap I think. Same with a 2 year
    old maxtor and ads double firewire casing, the hard drive is trashed. they
    showed up on my desktop from time to time, disconnected and lost for ever.
    I tried to initialise them with an old g3 and nothing..

    What is the best solution for external storage?

    anybody knows?


  9. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!



    morenuf wrote:

    > In article <100420041020323150%reply_to@newsgroup.INVALID>,
    > Chris Moore wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > , fishfry
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article ,
    > > > David Coleman wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > I once hosed a fw drive by disconnecting the cable before properly
    > > > > unmounting the drive. This was OS X pre-Panther days. It never worked
    > > > > after that. Not even reformatting fixes it.
    > > >
    > > > I do that all the time (by accident of course). Never hosed a drive,
    > > > always works on reboot. This is with an OWC drive, it's been very
    > > > reliable. I have a Maxtor drive that's been a piece of junk since day
    > > > one, I finally took the enclosure apart and turned it into a very
    > > > expensive internal IDE.

    > >
    > > I bought a Maxtor based on all the reviews I saw on the Web that said
    > > they were great drives. Got it home then read all the reviews on Usenet
    > > that said they were crap. It lasted a year before dying, this too was
    > > pre-Panther.

    >
    > I had a Maxtor die after 2 years of use with 3 year warranty. They
    > replaced it, but the replacement died within a week. Next replacement
    > still works.
    >
    > I had a brand new Western Digital fail also within a week of purchase
    > and install. They replaced it with one which continues to work fine. 3
    > year warranty on that one too.
    >
    > I have had two Seagates which have always functioned well with no
    > problems.
    >
    > Several company's have gone to 1 year warranty on cheaper drives. This
    > does not sound good based on my experience with ATA IDE drives. It
    > likely is worth the effort to get drives with 3 year warranty.
    >
    > I am currently in market for a new drive, and looked at a IBM/Hatachi
    > drive. Are they a good manufacturer? 3 year warranty on them (160GB
    > drive).
    >
    > I likely will have to use a firewire enclosure too with older G4 to get
    > beyond the 128GB limit on older ATA controlers.
    >
    > Morenuf
    > --
    > morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid


    I just went through an episode of hd failure with my deskstar 180, using
    external kit on my powerbook using firewire or usb. The HD disconnected itself
    and never was reusable. Am going to send it back

    ct


  10. Re: I am SO PISSED! THREE Firewire Drives HOSED!

    In comp.sys.mac.system c wrote:
    > I am pissed too. Here is what happened. I have the new powerbook G4 12inch
    > os X.3.4
    > Had a new desktar 180 which I fixed into a ME-320X external kit. Ok, so I
    > popped in a cd that I uploaded to the externalHD, and I have like 200,
    > well during the third one, the external HD disconnected itself and since
    > has not been usable. erorr -5, missing trap I think. Same with a 2 year
    > old maxtor and ads double firewire casing, the hard drive is trashed. they
    > showed up on my desktop from time to time, disconnected and lost for ever.
    > I tried to initialise them with an old g3 and nothing..


    > What is the best solution for external storage?


    > anybody knows?


    I have two Maxtor firewire drives. One's about three year old 80GB,
    and the other's about half a year 250GB. Both are external. I use
    them both on my Tibook and G4 Cube with Panther on both and I have
    not had a single problem. Perhaps your hard drives are defective
    or need a firmware update. Contact the manufacturer to find out
    if the firmware for your hard drives is current.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2