Firewire bus power dead: port or drive? - Storage

This is a discussion on Firewire bus power dead: port or drive? - Storage ; I have a brand new (> 1 month old) iBook 15". For backups, I bought a $40 firewire/usb2 enclosure and stuck an old 2.5" hard drive into it. I use it as a bus-powered drive. This worked great. One time, ...

  1. Firewire bus power dead: port or drive?

    I have a brand new (> 1 month old) iBook 15". For backups, I bought a
    $40 firewire/usb2 enclosure and stuck an old 2.5" hard drive into it. I
    use it as a bus-powered drive. This worked great.

    One time, I plugged the drive into the firewire port and it wouldn't
    power up at all. I tried connecting it through usb instead and it
    worked fine, so I thought, uh oh, my firewire port is dead.

    However, the drive has an optional DC 5v in, so the drive can run
    without bus power, and a funky cable that draws DC power from a ps2 port.
    So I powered the drive through this, and then plugged in the firewire
    port, and the drive mounted fine again.

    So, I'm not sure if the problem is that the iBook's firewire bus power
    is dead, or if the enclosure for some reason now refuses to draw power
    from the firewire bus. I don't have another firewire device with which
    to test if it's the port, so is there any way for me to check if the
    firewire port is giving off power?

    I'm desperately hoping that it's the enclosure and not the port, and I
    came across this: http://www.wiebetech.com/pressreleases/
    FireWirePortFailures.htm which seems to suggest that bus-power failures
    without data-line failures are very rare. Also, the enclosure was
    really, really cheap.

    This probably doesn't matter, but the enclosure uses the oxford 911
    chipset for firewire, and is from USModular.
    --
    Francis Avila

  2. Re: Firewire bus power dead: port or drive?

    Francis Avila wrote:

    >So, I'm not sure if the problem is that the iBook's firewire bus power
    >is dead, or if the enclosure for some reason now refuses to draw power
    >from the firewire bus. I don't have another firewire device with which
    >to test if it's the port, so is there any way for me to check if the
    >firewire port is giving off power?

    Do you know anyone else with a computer with FW ports? If so, go plug
    the enclosure into their computer and hope your gig doesn't fry their
    port. ;-)

    Can anyone give any recommendations for good quality bus-powered
    enclosures?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

  3. Re: Firewire bus power dead: port or drive?

    In article <4030e524.3603144@news.newsguy.com>,
    hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

    > Francis Avila wrote:
    >
    > >So, I'm not sure if the problem is that the iBook's firewire bus power
    > >is dead, or if the enclosure for some reason now refuses to draw power
    > >from the firewire bus. I don't have another firewire device with which
    > >to test if it's the port, so is there any way for me to check if the
    > >firewire port is giving off power?

    > Do you know anyone else with a computer with FW ports? If so, go plug
    > the enclosure into their computer and hope your gig doesn't fry their
    > port. ;-)

    If you know which two pins are the power pins, you could apply a meter
    to them and check the Voltage. I don't haver the pinout, but if you have
    a 6-to-4-pin adapter, you should be able to figure it out fairly easily;
    the power pins are the two that aren't carried.

    > Can anyone give any recommendations for good quality bus-powered
    > enclosures?

    I like my WiebeTech MicroGB (since replaced with the MicroGB+) case. A
    friend of mine has a desktop enclosure (not bus powered) frome WiebeTech
    and likes it as well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend WiebeTech
    products. They even give a discount to MUG members!

+ Reply to Thread