External Firewire question - Storage

This is a discussion on External Firewire question - Storage ; Can the electronics in an external FW case control 2 devices, like most IDE interfaces? So if you had a spare hard drive and some duct tape and the proper power and ribbon cables and jumpers, and you didn't care ...

  1. External Firewire question

    Can the electronics in an external FW case control 2 devices, like most
    IDE interfaces? So if you had a spare hard drive and some duct tape and
    the proper power and ribbon cables and jumpers, and you didn't care
    about esthetics, could you stick the hard drive on top of your, say,
    external DVD burner, and have some really ugly external FW device?

  2. Re: External Firewire question

    In article , Rob wrote:

    > Can the electronics in an external FW case control 2 devices, like most
    > IDE interfaces? So if you had a spare hard drive and some duct tape and
    > the proper power and ribbon cables and jumpers, and you didn't care
    > about esthetics, could you stick the hard drive on top of your, say,
    > external DVD burner, and have some really ugly external FW device?

    I've got an external case that was built to support two drives from a
    single firewire bridge. The Oxford-911-chip based circuit board looks
    *very* similar to the ones in my single-drive cases, and I was able
    to use the same firmware upgrader on both.

    I strongly suspect that your duct tape assemblage would work.

    I think this is probably safe to try, as long as the drives involved
    don't have any critical data on them and the drives are properly
    jumpered for master & slave.

    YMMV.

    --
    Jim Glidewell