Linux drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!! - Storage

This is a discussion on Linux drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!! - Storage ; I have a WD120 gig drive that Imade invisuble to my mac. I have it in an external FireWire 400 (older Oxford chipset, not the newer FW/USB chipset). I was able to fomat it as a normal HFS+ drive. But, ...

  1. Linux drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    I have a WD120 gig drive that Imade invisuble to my mac. I have it in
    an external FireWire 400 (older Oxford chipset, not the newer FW/USB
    chipset). I was able to fomat it as a normal HFS+ drive. But, then I
    used DiskUtitlty under Jagaur 10.2.8 to make it a Linux drive. Now I
    can now see it, mount it ro do anything with it. it is totally
    invisible.

    I have tried mounting it under Mac OS 9.2.2. None of my 9.2.2. programs
    will see it.

    I have tried to mount it under Panther 10.3.,2, but it is totally
    invisble under it as well.

    I wanted to use the drive as an external FW drive for my powerbook.

    I have an older 40 gig maxstor drive in the external fw cabinet which
    works fine. But even if I replace the 40 gig drive with the new 120 gig
    drive in the same cabinet I can not see or mount the drive.

    POsting requests on apple.com has not yielded any help.\

    any ideas??

    As I said, the drive worked fine until I used to Disk Utility under
    Jaguar to make ita Linux drive. Now it is invisible!!

    HELP!!!

  2. Re: Linux drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    Define "make it a Linux drive." What did you do?

    Richard Covert wrote:

    > I have a WD120 gig drive that Imade invisuble to my mac. I have it in
    > an external FireWire 400 (older Oxford chipset, not the newer FW/USB
    > chipset). I was able to fomat it as a normal HFS+ drive. But, then I
    > used DiskUtitlty under Jagaur 10.2.8 to make it a Linux drive. Now I
    > can now see it, mount it ro do anything with it. it is totally
    > invisible.
    >
    > I have tried mounting it under Mac OS 9.2.2. None of my 9.2.2. programs
    > will see it.
    >
    > I have tried to mount it under Panther 10.3.,2, but it is totally
    > invisble under it as well.
    >
    > I wanted to use the drive as an external FW drive for my powerbook.
    >
    > I have an older 40 gig maxstor drive in the external fw cabinet which
    > works fine. But even if I replace the 40 gig drive with the new 120 gig
    > drive in the same cabinet I can not see or mount the drive.
    >
    > POsting requests on apple.com has not yielded any help.\
    >
    > any ideas??
    >
    > As I said, the drive worked fine until I used to Disk Utility under
    > Jaguar to make ita Linux drive. Now it is invisible!!
    >
    > HELP!!!

  3. Re: Linux drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    I formatted the drive as a UFS drive using Disk Utility under Jaguar.
    Ever since formatting it as UFS I can not mount it, or even see it as a
    device under any version of Mac OS. Neither OS9 or OS X can see the
    device.

    So I can not reformat the drive back to HFS+ to use it.

    I believe that the drive is jumpered properly (Master is jumperd, SLAVE
    is empty).

    As it is now the drive is just totally inviisible to my Mac.

    Weird!!!

    In article <1g8ixo8.1qhwz6i1liekioN%usenet@eloquentapathy.c0m>, Adam
    Knight wrote:

    > Define "make it a Linux drive." What did you do?
    >
    > Richard Covert wrote:
    >
    > > I have a WD120 gig drive that Imade invisuble to my mac. I have it in
    > > an external FireWire 400 (older Oxford chipset, not the newer FW/USB
    > > chipset). I was able to fomat it as a normal HFS+ drive. But, then I
    > > used DiskUtitlty under Jagaur 10.2.8 to make it a Linux drive. Now I
    > > can now see it, mount it ro do anything with it. it is totally
    > > invisible.
    > >
    > > I have tried mounting it under Mac OS 9.2.2. None of my 9.2.2. programs
    > > will see it.
    > >
    > > I have tried to mount it under Panther 10.3.,2, but it is totally
    > > invisble under it as well.
    > >
    > > I wanted to use the drive as an external FW drive for my powerbook.
    > >
    > > I have an older 40 gig maxstor drive in the external fw cabinet which
    > > works fine. But even if I replace the 40 gig drive with the new 120 gig
    > > drive in the same cabinet I can not see or mount the drive.
    > >
    > > POsting requests on apple.com has not yielded any help.\
    > >
    > > any ideas??
    > >
    > > As I said, the drive worked fine until I used to Disk Utility under
    > > Jaguar to make ita Linux drive. Now it is invisible!!
    > >
    > > HELP!!!

  4. Re: Linux drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:15:29 GMT,
    Richard Covert (cppcoder@insightbb.com) wrote:
    > I formatted the drive as a UFS drive using Disk Utility under Jaguar.
    > Ever since formatting it as UFS I can not mount it, or even see it as a
    > device under any version of Mac OS. Neither OS9 or OS X can see the
    > device.

    OS 9 will not be able to see it. OS X should be able to see UFS formatted
    devices -- I've used them. However, it is possible that you inadvertently
    didn't format the drive correctly.

    You should still be able see the drive in OS X's Disk Utility, or OS 9's
    Disk Utility -- where it might show up as unformatted device. Try
    reformatting it as an HFS+ device with a name.

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Tintin turns 75

  5. Re: UFS drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    The problem is that the drive does not appear as a device in Disk
    Utility under Jaguar or Panther. And it does not appear as a device
    under Disk Setup under OS 9.

    So I can not reformat the drive since none of the disk utils recognise
    it as a device.

    I might be able to use a BSD UNIX command in the Terminal if I knew the
    low level unix device name, and if it showed up in the /dev/XXXX
    folder.

    weird!!!

    In article , Bev A. Kupf
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:15:29 GMT,
    > Richard Covert (cppcoder@insightbb.com) wrote:
    > > I formatted the drive as a UFS drive using Disk Utility under Jaguar.
    > > Ever since formatting it as UFS I can not mount it, or even see it as a
    > > device under any version of Mac OS. Neither OS9 or OS X can see the
    > > device.

    > OS 9 will not be able to see it. OS X should be able to see UFS formatted
    > devices -- I've used them. However, it is possible that you inadvertently
    > didn't format the drive correctly.
    >
    > You should still be able see the drive in OS X's Disk Utility, or OS 9's
    > Disk Utility -- where it might show up as unformatted device. Try
    > reformatting it as an HFS+ device with a name.

  6. Re: UFS drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    << The problem is that the drive does not appear as a device in Disk
    Utility under Jaguar or Panther. And it does not appear as a device
    under Disk Setup under OS 9.

    So I can not reformat the drive since none of the disk utils recognise
    it as a device.

    I might be able to use a BSD UNIX command in the Terminal if I knew the
    low level unix device name, and if it showed up in the /dev/XXXX
    folder.

    weird!!! >>

    Type the following at a command shell:

    ioreg -c IOMedia

    The disk should appear in the output like this:

    {"CFBundleIdentifier"="com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily","IOBundleResourceF
    ile"="Internal.icns"}

    Which will indicate the model number of the drive and the BSD node under /dev
    (disk0) in this case.

    If it doesn't show up in system profiler or in the registry of devices, then
    you need to check the connection to the disk drive or it may have simply died
    on you.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.

  7. Re: UFS drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    thanks for the help. I will try your suggestion this morning!!!

    In article <20040203015101.22762.00000807@mb-m19.aol.com>, nuke
    wrote:

    > << The problem is that the drive does not appear as a device in Disk
    > Utility under Jaguar or Panther. And it does not appear as a device
    > under Disk Setup under OS 9.
    >
    > So I can not reformat the drive since none of the disk utils recognise
    > it as a device.
    >
    > I might be able to use a BSD UNIX command in the Terminal if I knew the
    > low level unix device name, and if it showed up in the /dev/XXXX
    > folder.
    >
    > weird!!! >>

    > Type the following at a command shell:
    >
    > ioreg -c IOMedia
    >
    > The disk should appear in the output like this:

    > {"CFBundleIdentifier"="com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily","IOBundleResourceF
    > ile"="Internal.icns"}
    >

    > Which will indicate the model number of the drive and the BSD node under /dev
    > (disk0) in this case.
    >
    > If it doesn't show up in system profiler or in the registry of devices, then
    > you need to check the connection to the disk drive or it may have simply died
    > on you.
    >

    > --
    > Dr. Nuketopia
    > Sorry, no e-Mail.
    > Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

  8. Re: UFS drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    I used the ioreg command to examine my FireWire devices.

    First, I did see the working FW drive in the cabinet with the Oxford
    interface. But when I replaced the Maxstor drive in the FW enclosure
    all I saw was the data for the Oxford interface. The WD120 drive does
    not appear.

    So, it may be that somehow I either detroyed the WD120 drive or I have
    its internal firmware confused.

    I did look on the Western Digital website for a way of upgrading the
    firmware in the WD120 drive but WD does not have any software that runs
    on the Mac. At least not on their website.

    So, about the other thing I can do with this drive is either to send it
    back to WD for repairs or possbily send it to a PC buddy of mine who
    kn]
    works on PCs.

    thanks

    In article <030220040745420967%cppcoder@insightbb.com>, Richard Covert
    wrote:

    > thanks for the help. I will try your suggestion this morning!!!
    >
    > In article <20040203015101.22762.00000807@mb-m19.aol.com>, nuke
    > wrote:
    >
    > > << The problem is that the drive does not appear as a device in Disk
    > > Utility under Jaguar or Panther. And it does not appear as a device
    > > under Disk Setup under OS 9.
    > >
    > > So I can not reformat the drive since none of the disk utils recognise
    > > it as a device.
    > >
    > > I might be able to use a BSD UNIX command in the Terminal if I knew the
    > > low level unix device name, and if it showed up in the /dev/XXXX
    > > folder.
    > >
    > > weird!!! >>

    > > Type the following at a command shell:
    > >
    > > ioreg -c IOMedia
    > >
    > > The disk should appear in the output like this:

    > > {"CFBundleIdentifier"="com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily","IOBundleResourceF
    > > ile"="Internal.icns"}
    > >

    > > Which will indicate the model number of the drive and the BSD node under
    > > /dev
    > > (disk0) in this case.
    > >
    > > If it doesn't show up in system profiler or in the registry of devices, then
    > > you need to check the connection to the disk drive or it may have simply
    > > died
    > > on you.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Dr. Nuketopia
    > > Sorry, no e-Mail.
    > > Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

  9. Re: UFS drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    Formatting a drive will not kill it in this fashion. Period. Rule that
    out.

    Jumpers are the next culprit. Remember that some drives have the
    diagram up-side-down. Pay attention to the key pin (the one that's
    missing) to make sure the diagram is right-way-around.

    Richard Covert wrote:

    > I used the ioreg command to examine my FireWire devices.
    >
    > First, I did see the working FW drive in the cabinet with the Oxford
    > interface. But when I replaced the Maxstor drive in the FW enclosure
    > all I saw was the data for the Oxford interface. The WD120 drive does
    > not appear.
    >
    > So, it may be that somehow I either detroyed the WD120 drive or I have
    > its internal firmware confused.
    >
    > I did look on the Western Digital website for a way of upgrading the
    > firmware in the WD120 drive but WD does not have any software that runs
    > on the Mac. At least not on their website.
    >
    > So, about the other thing I can do with this drive is either to send it
    > back to WD for repairs or possbily send it to a PC buddy of mine who
    > kn]
    > works on PCs.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > In article <030220040745420967%cppcoder@insightbb.com>, Richard Covert
    > wrote:
    >
    > > thanks for the help. I will try your suggestion this morning!!!
    > >
    > > In article <20040203015101.22762.00000807@mb-m19.aol.com>, nuke
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > << The problem is that the drive does not appear as a device in Disk
    > > > Utility under Jaguar or Panther. And it does not appear as a device
    > > > under Disk Setup under OS 9.
    > > >
    > > > So I can not reformat the drive since none of the disk utils recognise
    > > > it as a device.
    > > >
    > > > I might be able to use a BSD UNIX command in the Terminal if I knew the
    > > > low level unix device name, and if it showed up in the /dev/XXXX
    > > > folder.
    > > >
    > > > weird!!! >>

    > > > Type the following at a command shell:
    > > >
    > > > ioreg -c IOMedia
    > > >
    > > > The disk should appear in the output like this:

    > > > {"CFBundleIdentifier"="com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily","IOBundleResourceF
    > > > ile"="Internal.icns"}
    > > >

    > > > Which will indicate the model number of the drive and the BSD node under
    > > > /dev
    > > > (disk0) in this case.
    > > >
    > > > If it doesn't show up in system profiler or in the registry of
    > > > devices, then you need to check the connection to the disk drive or it
    > > > may have simply died on you.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Dr. Nuketopia
    > > > Sorry, no e-Mail.
    > > > Spam forgeries have resulted in thousands of faked bounces to my address.

  10. Re: UFS drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    the drive is still under replacement warranty with Western Digital, so
    I got an RMA for it yesterday. I am going to mail it back for
    replacment.
    I may have destroyed the drive by mishandling it.

    In article <1g8mj9z.h0vj51pjxubmN%usenet@eloquentapathy.c0m>, Adam
    Knight wrote:

    > Formatting a drive will not kill it in this fashion. Period. Rule that
    > out.
    >
    > Jumpers are the next culprit. Remember that some drives have the
    > diagram up-side-down. Pay attention to the key pin (the one that's
    > missing) to make sure the diagram is right-way-around.
    >
    > Richard Covert wrote:
    >
    > > I used the ioreg command to examine my FireWire devices.
    > >
    > > First, I did see the working FW drive in the cabinet with the Oxford
    > > interface. But when I replaced the Maxstor drive in the FW enclosure
    > > all I saw was the data for the Oxford interface. The WD120 drive does
    > > not appear.
    > >
    > > So, it may be that somehow I either detroyed the WD120 drive or I have
    > > its internal firmware confused.
    > >
    > > I did look on the Western Digital website for a way of upgrading the
    > > firmware in the WD120 drive but WD does not have any software that runs
    > > on the Mac. At least not on their website.
    > >
    > > So, about the other thing I can do with this drive is either to send it
    > > back to WD for repairs or possbily send it to a PC buddy of mine who
    > > kn]
    > > works on PCs.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > In article <030220040745420967%cppcoder@insightbb.com>, Richard Covert
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > thanks for the help. I will try your suggestion this morning!!!

  11. Re: UFS drive is now invisible.HELP!!!!!!!

    In article <030220041243158631%cppcoder@insightbb.com>, cppcoder@insightbb.com wrote:

    > I used the ioreg command to examine my FireWire devices.
    >
    > First, I did see the working FW drive in the cabinet with the Oxford
    > interface. But when I replaced the Maxstor drive in the FW enclosure
    > all I saw was the data for the Oxford interface. The WD120 drive does
    > not appear.
    >
    > So, it may be that somehow I either detroyed the WD120 drive or I have
    > its internal firmware confused.
    >
    > I did look on the Western Digital website for a way of upgrading the
    > firmware in the WD120 drive but WD does not have any software that runs
    > on the Mac. At least not on their website.

    Note that many/most/all? WD drives are such that when you use it as a
    single drive on an IDE chain, you MUST NOT have a jumper in the "Master"
    position.

    The WD definition of the "master" jumper is that it should be used _only_
    when the drive is to serve as the master on a IDE cable with *two* drives.

    WD is the only vendor I've encountered where a master-jumpered drive is
    not happy on a cable by itself. But my experience is not all that deep
    in this area (a couple WD, Maxtor, and IBM IDE drives)

    This drove me nuts when I first encountered it hacking a junker PC
    together...

    HTH.

    --
    Jim Glidewell