Hard drive limit? - Storage

This is a discussion on Hard drive limit? - Storage ; I just bought a 120 gig WD hard drive to put in a firewire enclosure. When I try to initialize it, Disc Utility seems to initialize the drive then it presents a stalled dialog that it's mounting the drive, but ...

  1. Hard drive limit?

    I just bought a 120 gig WD hard drive to put in a firewire enclosure.
    When I try to initialize it, Disc Utility seems to initialize the
    drive then it presents a stalled dialog that it's mounting the drive,
    but it never does. If I turn the drive off, then back on I'm presented
    with a message from the Finder that the drive is not readable and
    wants to launch Disc Utility again.

    So I started tinkering with the partitioning pane of DU and if I
    select two partitions with the first one less than or equal to 111
    gigs it will initialize and mount just fine (with 111 gigs available),
    but the second partition does not. Is this a physical formatting
    limit? I'd sure like to get all of the drive's capacity.

    OS X 10.2.8, Oxford 911 chipset, iMac G4.

    Thanks,

    Tony

  2. Re: Hard drive limit?

    In article <4f00dc9.0311300941.45f434f3@posting.google.com>,
    schountz@yahoo.com (Tony Schountz) wrote:

    > I just bought a 120 gig WD hard drive to put in a firewire enclosure.
    > When I try to initialize it, Disc Utility seems to initialize the
    > drive then it presents a stalled dialog that it's mounting the drive,
    > but it never does. If I turn the drive off, then back on I'm presented
    > with a message from the Finder that the drive is not readable and
    > wants to launch Disc Utility again.
    >
    > So I started tinkering with the partitioning pane of DU and if I
    > select two partitions with the first one less than or equal to 111
    > gigs it will initialize and mount just fine (with 111 gigs available),
    > but the second partition does not. Is this a physical formatting
    > limit? I'd sure like to get all of the drive's capacity.
    >
    > OS X 10.2.8, Oxford 911 chipset, iMac G4.

    Might want to make sure the firmware in the case is completely
    up-to-date. There's nothing in recent versions of Mac OS that should
    bump into a limit at 111G.

  3. Re: Hard drive limit?

    Tony Schountz wrote:

    > I just bought a 120 gig WD hard drive to put in a firewire enclosure.
    > When I try to initialize it, Disc Utility seems to initialize the
    > drive then it presents a stalled dialog that it's mounting the drive,
    > but it never does. If I turn the drive off, then back on I'm presented
    > with a message from the Finder that the drive is not readable and
    > wants to launch Disc Utility again.
    >
    > So I started tinkering with the partitioning pane of DU and if I
    > select two partitions with the first one less than or equal to 111
    > gigs it will initialize and mount just fine (with 111 gigs available),
    > but the second partition does not. Is this a physical formatting
    > limit? I'd sure like to get all of the drive's capacity.
    >
    > OS X 10.2.8, Oxford 911 chipset, iMac G4.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tony

    What does Disk Utility say about the Total Capacity of the drive (down
    at the bottom of the window)?

    A 120GB drive is 120,000,000,000 bytes, which is 111.75GB, when a gig is
    defined as 1024x1024x1024.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread