[HELP} Yamaha ext CD-RW box firmware locked? - Storage

This is a discussion on [HELP} Yamaha ext CD-RW box firmware locked? - Storage ; I just tried to upgrade my external Yamaha FW CD-RW (8824) box with a DVD-RW drive (Pioneer A06/106). And guess what? The drive would make this repeated grinding noise on powering up. Further, my PB G4 (10.3.1) could not see ...

  1. [HELP} Yamaha ext CD-RW box firmware locked?

    I just tried to upgrade my external Yamaha FW CD-RW (8824) box with a
    DVD-RW drive (Pioneer A06/106). And guess what? The drive would make
    this repeated grinding noise on powering up. Further, my PB G4 (10.3.1)
    could not see it.

    I have double checked all the connections and the drive try would open
    and close.

    I am wondering if this is some kind of proprietary ext FW box that just
    won't talk to an IDE Pioneer DVD drive?

    Does any one know? If so, I'll be forced to buy another external case...

  2. Re: [HELP} Yamaha ext CD-RW box firmware locked?

    In article <191120031912217926%whytoi@hotmail.com>, Whytoi
    wrote:

    > I just tried to upgrade my external Yamaha FW CD-RW (8824) box with a
    > DVD-RW drive (Pioneer A06/106). And guess what? The drive would make
    > this repeated grinding noise on powering up. Further, my PB G4 (10.3.1)
    > could not see it.
    >
    > I have double checked all the connections and the drive try would open
    > and close.
    >
    > I am wondering if this is some kind of proprietary ext FW box that just
    > won't talk to an IDE Pioneer DVD drive?
    >
    > Does any one know? If so, I'll be forced to buy another external case...

    I believe so...I tried numerous CDRW in mine and it just would not
    go...Sony same way. BUT....I have installed Yamaha CDRW F1E and it works
    fine. Bought at Best Buy and boxed for windows. Yamaha does not make
    burners anymore.

  3. Re: [HELP} Yamaha ext CD-RW box firmware locked?

    In article , iEuchre
    wrote:

    > I believe so...I tried numerous CDRW in mine and it just would not
    > go...Sony same way. BUT....I have installed Yamaha CDRW F1E and it works
    > fine. Bought at Best Buy and boxed for windows. Yamaha does not make
    > burners anymore.

    Thank you for the confirmation! I just wasn't sure if it was a faulty
    replacement unit or was what you just confirmed. And the fact that
    Yamaha is now out of this business is a bummer, as I needed a DVD-RW
    drive. At least you got a higher spec CD-RW drive.

    Well, I've learnt my lesson. Never buy another proprietary external
    box. I'll only build my own from now on. The only question now is
    whether to go for a FW800 box or stay with FW400.

+ Reply to Thread