help! superdrive won't eject - Storage

This is a discussion on help! superdrive won't eject - Storage ; I have a G4 dual 800 AV with a superdrive. Just yesterday I was using the superdrive -- no problems. But suddenly today, for some reason, the drive has simply ceased to open. I have tried ejecting using two different ...

  1. help! superdrive won't eject

    I have a G4 dual 800 AV with a superdrive. Just yesterday I was using
    the superdrive -- no problems. But suddenly today, for some reason,
    the drive has simply ceased to open. I have tried ejecting using two
    different keyboards, under OS X and OS 9 and after an option-startup
    -- but all to no avail. There seems to be no way to get the drive to
    open. Does anyone know what might be wrong? How can I get the drive
    open? Is it possible it is just stuck, and if not is this repairable?
    I am no longer under warranty. Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: help! superdrive won't eject

    chris wrote:
    >I have a G4 dual 800 AV with a superdrive. Just yesterday I was using
    >the superdrive -- no problems. But suddenly today, for some reason,
    >the drive has simply ceased to open. I have tried ejecting using two
    >different keyboards, under OS X and OS 9 and after an option-startup
    >-- but all to no avail. There seems to be no way to get the drive to
    >open. Does anyone know what might be wrong? How can I get the drive
    >open? Is it possible it is just stuck, and if not is this repairable?
    >I am no longer under warranty. Thanks for your help.

    There's usually a very tiny hole near the floppy where you can put a paper clip
    in and eject the disc manually. (Same goes for Sun machines).

  3. Re: help! superdrive won't eject

    chris wrote:

    > I have a G4 dual 800 AV with a superdrive. Just yesterday I was using
    > the superdrive -- no problems. But suddenly today, for some reason,
    > the drive has simply ceased to open.

    Make sure you have your USB mouse plugged directly into the Mac (or
    through an Apple-badged keyboard), shut the machine down, power it up
    again and then *immediately* press and hold the mouse button down.

    If the SuperDrive will not eject, then the drive has suffered an
    electromechanical fault and requires replacement.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,

+ Reply to Thread