Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? - Storage

This is a discussion on Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? - Storage ; Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? If so, how? Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Sep...

  1. Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs?

    Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? If
    so, how? Thanks in advance for your help.

    Regards,

    Sep

  2. Re: Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs?

    In article <290e0a5f.0311141339.1f7ae1e7@posting.google.com>,
    sep@riotech.com (Sep) wrote:

    > Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? If
    > so, how? Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sep

    Share as in at the same time. No! File corruption will result.

    If you mean, plug it into one system, then unplug it and plug it into a
    different system. Sure.

    If both systems are plugged in at the same time, then they will not
    coordinate any of their activities and you will end up with both systems
    allocating the same storage for different files they are writing. This
    is "Bad".

    If you want to know how bad, go over the the OpenVMS news group and ask
    them what happens to a disk when a cluster gets partitioned and both
    sides think they own the disks. "Bad, Very Bad".

    Bob Harris

  3. Re: Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs?

    Bob Harris wrote:
    > In article <290e0a5f.0311141339.1f7ae1e7@posting.google.com>,
    > sep@riotech.com (Sep) wrote:
    >

    >>Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? If
    >>so, how? Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Sep

    > Share as in at the same time. No! File corruption will result.
    >
    > Bob Harris

    What about connecting the 2 OSX Macs in a network, connecting the
    external firewire hard drive to only one OSX Mac and using the external
    firewire hard drive as a shared resource?

  4. Re: Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs?

    In article <3FB965DB.1000503@westerncom.net>,
    "Howard R. Hansen" wrote:

    > Bob Harris wrote:
    > > In article <290e0a5f.0311141339.1f7ae1e7@posting.google.com>,
    > > sep@riotech.com (Sep) wrote:
    > >

    > >>Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? If
    > >>so, how? Thanks in advance for your help.
    > >>
    > >>Regards,
    > >>
    > >>Sep

    > > Share as in at the same time. No! File corruption will result.
    > >
    > > Bob Harris

    > What about connecting the 2 OSX Macs in a network, connecting the
    > external firewire hard drive to only one OSX Mac and using the external
    > firewire hard drive as a shared resource?

    Yes that will work because only 1 computer is controlling the device and
    will coordinate all modifications on the device.

    Bob Harris

+ Reply to Thread