noisy Dual 1.25 G4 and other problems - Storage

This is a discussion on noisy Dual 1.25 G4 and other problems - Storage ; I just got this baby, new (the middle model in the last generation of the G4s), and I wonder about the noise -- there's a very distinct fan noise, and after the computer is on for say, 10 minutes or ...

  1. noisy Dual 1.25 G4 and other problems

    I just got this baby, new (the middle model in the last generation of
    the G4s), and I wonder about the noise -- there's a very distinct fan
    noise, and after the computer is on for say, 10 minutes or so, the drone
    turns into a rattling and even knocking kind of a sound (although not
    terribly loud). I can't tell if it's the fan or the hard drive.

    Also, the display goes off (becomes black) for no reason at all, in the
    middle of operations -- I can get it back right away by hitting a key,
    but I haven't a clue as to why this would happen.

    I have 10.2.6 installed on it.

  2. Re: noisy Dual 1.25 G4 and other problems

    In article
    , Charlie
    wrote:

    > I just got this baby, new (the middle model in the last generation of
    > the G4s), and I wonder about the noise -- there's a very distinct fan
    > noise, and after the computer is on for say, 10 minutes or so, the drone
    > turns into a rattling and even knocking kind of a sound (although not
    > terribly loud). I can't tell if it's the fan or the hard drive.
    >
    > Also, the display goes off (becomes black) for no reason at all, in the
    > middle of operations -- I can get it back right away by hitting a key,
    > but I haven't a clue as to why this would happen.
    >
    > I have 10.2.6 installed on it.

    Don't know where you got it but this may be one of the earlier
    iterations of the MDD DP that had some major fan issues. Maybe it was
    warehoused for awhile if you got it online. Apple did issue a
    fix/replacement for this so you might want to check with them. I know
    of quite a few folks who have recently purchased the MDD DP from the
    Apple store and they run just fine.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bull**** before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing the invalid with sonic.

  3. Re: noisy Dual 1.25 G4 and other problems

    In <151120031328447770%otto@bogus.address.invalid> Otto Pylot wrote:
    > In article
    > , Charlie
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just got this baby, new (the middle model in the last generation of
    >> the G4s), and I wonder about the noise -- there's a very distinct fan
    >> noise, and after the computer is on for say, 10 minutes or so, the
    >> drone turns into a rattling and even knocking kind of a sound (
    >> although not terribly loud). I can't tell if it's the fan or the
    >> hard drive. Also, the display goes off (becomes black) for no reason
    >> at all, in the middle of operations -- I can get it back right away
    >> by hitting a key, but I haven't a clue as to why this would happen.
    >>
    >> I have 10.2.6 installed on it.
    >>
    >> Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

    > Don't know where you got it but this may be one of the earlier
    > iterations of the MDD DP that had some major fan issues. Maybe it was
    > warehoused for awhile if you got it online. Apple did issue a
    > fix/replacement for this so you might want to check with them. I know
    > of quite a few folks who have recently purchased the MDD DP from the
    > Apple store and they run just fine.

    I have the exact same issue and I know of what you speak of in regards
    to the noise from the fan. It is the fan and Apple did have an exchange
    program for it, but as far as I understand it that no longer applies.
    You will have to pay for the replacement power supply fan yoruself as do
    I.

    There are issues with Panther and some models of Macs. My own PowerMac 1.
    25ghz has no display issues, but refuses to connect, wirelessly to some
    computers for no obvious reason.

    The noise is annoying, but nothing to worry about.

+ Reply to Thread