Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help! - Storage

This is a discussion on Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help! - Storage ; Hi, As I've been unable to get through to OWC's tech support for a few days, I thought I'd try to get an answer here. :-) I have an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire external hard drive with the Oxford 911 ...

  1. Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help!

    Hi,

    As I've been unable to get through to OWC's tech support for a few days,
    I thought I'd try to get an answer here. :-)

    I have an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire external hard drive with the Oxford
    911 chip set. I've upgraded to 10.3.1 on the OS end, and taking OWC's
    website advice, I ran the installer on their website to upgrade to the
    latest firmware, and it seemed to go fine. But now, when I power on the
    drive, it "whines" irregularly as it spins up to speed and never mounts
    on the desktop, then clicks softly as it runs.

    Here's the odd thing: if I run the firmware upgrader again, it has the
    effect of mounting the drive on the desktop, and (thank goodness!) all
    my data is stil there.

    Anybody encounter this or have a fix?

    Many thanks!

    Steve

  2. Re: Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help!

    In article ,
    Steven Folberg wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > As I've been unable to get through to OWC's tech support for a few days,
    > I thought I'd try to get an answer here. :-)
    >
    > I have an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire external hard drive with the Oxford
    > 911 chip set. I've upgraded to 10.3.1 on the OS end, and taking OWC's
    > website advice, I ran the installer on their website to upgrade to the
    > latest firmware, and it seemed to go fine. But now, when I power on the
    > drive, it "whines" irregularly as it spins up to speed and never mounts
    > on the desktop, then clicks softly as it runs.
    >
    > Here's the odd thing: if I run the firmware upgrader again, it has the
    > effect of mounting the drive on the desktop, and (thank goodness!) all
    > my data is stil there.
    >
    > Anybody encounter this or have a fix?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    I have 2 brand new Mercury Elite 400s (911s) that i was not even aware i
    had to update! (their website instructions are very confusing) And now
    i am worried about doing so after hearing your problem. What is the
    size of your drive btw? Has anyone else out there updated one of these
    drives without problems?

  3. Re: Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help!

    Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:56:12 GMT, rebbi@ihatespam.texas.net suggested:
    : Hi,
    :
    : As I've been unable to get through to OWC's tech support for a few days,
    : I thought I'd try to get an answer here. :-)

    Have you tried calling them on the phone, or just email?

    : I have an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire external hard drive with the Oxford
    : 911 chip set. I've upgraded to 10.3.1 on the OS end, and taking OWC's
    : website advice, I ran the installer on their website to upgrade to the
    : latest firmware, and it seemed to go fine. But now, when I power on the
    : drive, it "whines" irregularly as it spins up to speed and never mounts
    : on the desktop, then clicks softly as it runs.
    :
    : Here's the odd thing: if I run the firmware upgrader again, it has the
    : effect of mounting the drive on the desktop, and (thank goodness!) all
    : my data is stil there.

    Does the whining and clicking go away then, too?

    : Anybody encounter this or have a fix?

    What you describe almost sounds like a drive mechanism problem, but you
    wouldn't expect the enclosure firmware to affect the physical drive. Maybe
    the enclosure is trying to do something to the drive when it's turned on
    that prevents the system from accessing it?

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  4. Re: Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help!

    Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:18:46 -0600, madwen@onomatopaeia.com suggested:
    : In article ,
    : Steven Folberg wrote:
    :
    :> Hi,
    :>
[...]

    I have a 911-based drive from a different vendor (ADS), and I used OWC's
    updater to update the firmware on it with no problems.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

  5. Re: Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help!

    In article ,
    Madwen wrote:

    > I have 2 brand new Mercury Elite 400s (911s) that i was not even aware i
    > had to update! (their website instructions are very confusing) And now
    > i am worried about doing so after hearing your problem. What is the
    > size of your drive btw? Has anyone else out there updated one of these
    > drives without problems?

    This is a 60 gig drive, about 2 years old. Never gave me a moment's
    trouble until now.

    Steve

  6. Re: Trouble with OWC Firewire firmware update... help!

    In article ,
    andrewunix wrote:

    > Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:56:12 GMT, rebbi@ihatespam.texas.net suggested:
    > : Hi,
    > :
    > : As I've been unable to get through to OWC's tech support for a few days,
    > : I thought I'd try to get an answer here. :-)
    >
    > Have you tried calling them on the phone, or just email?

    I finally got through to someone on the phone at OWC. He was very nice.
    He sent me a more recently dated (by 1 day!) firmware update. Same
    result: the drive mounts right after the firmware update is uploaded,
    the funky noises stop, and the problem looks solved. But after a power
    down and power up, the same problems resurface!

    > : I have an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire external hard drive with the Oxford
    > : 911 chip set. I've upgraded to 10.3.1 on the OS end, and taking OWC's
    > : website advice, I ran the installer on their website to upgrade to the
    > : latest firmware, and it seemed to go fine. But now, when I power on the
    > : drive, it "whines" irregularly as it spins up to speed and never mounts
    > : on the desktop, then clicks softly as it runs.
    > :
    > : Here's the odd thing: if I run the firmware upgrader again, it has the
    > : effect of mounting the drive on the desktop, and (thank goodness!) all
    > : my data is stil there.
    >
    > Does the whining and clicking go away then, too?

    Yep, as above.

    > : Anybody encounter this or have a fix?
    >
    > What you describe almost sounds like a drive mechanism problem, but you
    > wouldn't expect the enclosure firmware to affect the physical drive. Maybe
    > the enclosure is trying to do something to the drive when it's turned on
    > that prevents the system from accessing it?

    Well, that makes sense to me. But OWC said that they think the problem
    is a case power supply problem that has nothing to do with the firmware,
    and they've instructed me to return it. Doesn't exactly add up to me,
    but I'll do it, I guess. At least the data on the drive isn't lost.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread