CD-R? and Best Media - Storage

This is a discussion on CD-R? and Best Media - Storage ; Two questions as I start burning CD/DVDs in SuperDrive. 1. If I burn data on a CD-R disc and it only uses a portion of its capacity, can I later add additional data to that CD-R? Asking both if I ...

  1. CD-R? and Best Media

    Two questions as I start burning CD/DVDs in SuperDrive.

    1. If I burn data on a CD-R disc and it only uses a portion of its
    capacity, can I later add additional data to that CD-R? Asking both if I
    use for just Finder burns and if use for Retropsect backups.

    2. Are there "better" brands/types of CD-Rs, CD-RWs and DVD-Rs for long
    term archiving of data/photos?

    Thanks.

    PS Is there a good site that answers these and other beginner questions?

    --
    Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com

  2. Re: CD-R? and Best Media

    In article ,
    Norm wrote:

    > Two questions as I start burning CD/DVDs in SuperDrive.
    >
    > 1. If I burn data on a CD-R disc and it only uses a portion of its
    > capacity, can I later add additional data to that CD-R? Asking both if I
    > use for just Finder burns and if use for Retropsect backups.

    With a CD-R, *SORTA*. With a CD-RW, yes.

    Once a CD-R is burned and "closed", it's done. Period. World without
    end, amen.

    It is possible to burn a CD in increments, called "sessions", but I'm
    pretty certain that Retrospect doesn't have the know-how to do that, and
    I'd be shocked seventeen ways from stupid to learn that the finder is
    "smart" enough to cope with the concept. Multi-session burns are usually
    the province of programs like Toast, Jam, and similar dedicated
    CD-creation software. But having said this, I'm sure somebody will come
    out of the woodwork to let me know if I'm wrong

    > 2. Are there "better" brands/types of CD-Rs, CD-RWs and DVD-Rs for long
    > term archiving of data/photos?

    Yes. There is great variation from maker to maker in terms of
    reliability and longevity. Verbatim, Sony, and Memorex are three that
    are generally considered to be pretty good. Most off-brands and
    "no-names" (there are exceptions) are generally considered crap to be
    avoided at all costs.

    *DO NOT* count on a CD-R for long-term archival use - The dyes that are
    used aren't anywhere near as stable as an actual CD's metal film, and
    are subject to degradation from temperature and/or sunlight unless kept
    in carefully controlled conditions. That's not saying they *WON'T* or
    CAN'T last, just that they *ARE NOT* the "Write it to disc once and
    it'll be there until the end of eternity" storage that many seem to
    think they are.

    > PS Is there a good site that answers these and other beginner questions?

    I'm sure there is, but I don't know the URL. Been too long since I
    looked for that sort of info. Check in with Google, and I'm sure you'll
    get more hits than you know what to do with.

    --
    Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net <--- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
    Hate SPAM? See for some seriously great info.

+ Reply to Thread