Panther and Firewire drives - Storage

This is a discussion on Panther and Firewire drives - Storage ; I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but I just heard about the conflict between Panther (10.03) and some firewire drives: "Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with ...

  1. Panther and Firewire drives

    I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but I just heard about the
    conflict between Panther (10.03) and some firewire drives:

    "Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using
    the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 that can
    result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive. Apple is working
    with Oxford Semiconductor and affected drive manufacturers to resolve
    this issue which resides in the Oxford 922 chip-set.

    In the interim, Apple recommends that you do not use these drives. To
    stop using the drive, you should unmount or eject the disk drive before
    doing anything else. Please check this web page for further updates.

    Apple and Oxford Semiconductor have confirmed that firmware version
    1.05 resolves the data loss issue experienced by some FW800 users.
    FireWire disk drive manufacturers have begun posting firmware updates"

    Here's my question-- how can I tell whether my external firewire drives
    use the Oxfford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 or not?

    Is there some way to find is out by looking at the drive? By using
    the apple system profiler? Is there a comprehensive online list of
    which ones are and which ones aren't?

    FWIW, I've got three Lacie external firewire drives-- one 200 G, one
    160G, and one 80G. Should I be worried? Do I need to update my
    firmware on anyone of them? If so, how can I tell which?

  2. Re: Panther and Firewire drives

    In article <111120030143374083%jcdontyouspammehokey@sbcglobal. net>,
    James Chokey wrote:

    > I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but I just heard about the
    > conflict between Panther (10.03) and some firewire drives:
    >
    > "Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using
    > the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 that can
    > result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive. Apple is working
    > with Oxford Semiconductor and affected drive manufacturers to resolve
    > this issue which resides in the Oxford 922 chip-set.
    >
    > In the interim, Apple recommends that you do not use these drives. To
    > stop using the drive, you should unmount or eject the disk drive before
    > doing anything else. Please check this web page for further updates.
    >
    > Apple and Oxford Semiconductor have confirmed that firmware version
    > 1.05 resolves the data loss issue experienced by some FW800 users.
    > FireWire disk drive manufacturers have begun posting firmware updates"
    >
    > Here's my question-- how can I tell whether my external firewire drives
    > use the Oxfford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 or not?
    >
    > Is there some way to find is out by looking at the drive? By using
    > the apple system profiler? Is there a comprehensive online list of
    > which ones are and which ones aren't?
    >
    > FWIW, I've got three Lacie external firewire drives-- one 200 G, one
    > 160G, and one 80G. Should I be worried? Do I need to update my
    > firmware on anyone of them? If so, how can I tell which?

    LaCie has a firmware update on their site. They have articles
    describing the nature of the situation and which drives are affected.

  3. Re: Panther and Firewire drives

    James Chokey:
    > I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but I just heard about the
    > conflict between Panther (10.03) and some firewire drives...

    Yes, we knew about this over a week ago. It might pay you in the long
    run to take an occasional look at macintouch.com, macfixit.com, and
    macnn.com. Apple recommends two things: update to 10.3.1 _and_ get new
    firmware from your drive manufacturer. There is new firmware from just
    about all manufacturers.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

  4. Re: Panther and Firewire drives

    In comp.sys.mac.system James Chokey wrote:

    > I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but I just heard about the
    > conflict between Panther (10.03) and some firewire drives:

    Apple just released 10.3.1 yesterday which addresses some of these
    issues, but the release notes still recommend updating the firmware
    on your firewire drives. Check the web site for the company who
    made your fw drive for details.

  5. Re: Panther and Firewire drives

    In article <111120030909113486%star@sky.net>, Davoud wrote:

    > Apple recommends two things: update to 10.3.1 _and_ get new
    > firmware from your drive manufacturer. There is new firmware from just
    > about all manufacturers.

    Considering the potential for data loss on FW drives, understating the risk
    or overstating the availability of fixes is in no one's best interest.
    Yes, there is new firmware available from 10-12 manufacturers. These do
    not represent "just about all" manufacturers, however. There are many of
    us who have drives from manufacturers who have not made a firmware update
    available. Buslink's response to me was that "we've have good luck" with
    Panther so far. Compare that atttitude to LaCie, which still hasn't been
    able to make any of their drives fail under Panther, yet they've
    nevertheless taken the word of Apple, Oxford, and the company's own users
    that their firmware needed to be rewritten pronto. Unfortunately, not all
    mfrs have been equally responsive.

    Also, it should be noted that although there are many FW 400/Oxford 911
    users whose drives have been similarly hosed, Apple and Oxford have
    declared that the risk applies only to FW 800/Oxford 922 drives. So FW 400
    owners need to understand that there is no firmware update for this issue
    forthcoming from *any mfr*. Since no company has officially taken
    responsibility for investigating the FW 400/Oxford 911 reports, there's no
    reliable basis for evaluating the risk to a specific drive. All you can do
    at this point is assume the worst, prepare by archiving all valuable data
    from the drive to another medium (preferably something the OS can't
    overwrite, like CD-R or DVD-R), then watch how the drive behaves after
    multiple restarts under Panther. But since Panther sometimes waits through
    several restarts/dismounts before writing the series of 0s to the 800s,
    even initial good behavior may not be sufficient proof that the drive is
    safe to use.

    --
    CC

  6. Re: Panther and Firewire drives

    In article ,
    fishfry wrote:

    > In article <111120030143374083%jcdontyouspammehokey@sbcglobal. net>,
    > James Chokey wrote:
    >

    > > Here's my question-- how can I tell whether my external firewire drives
    > > use the Oxfford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 or not?
    > >
    > > Is there some way to find is out by looking at the drive? By using
    > > the apple system profiler? Is there a comprehensive online list of
    > > which ones are and which ones aren't?
    > >
    > > FWIW, I've got three Lacie external firewire drives-- one 200 G, one
    > > 160G, and one 80G. Should I be worried? Do I need to update my
    > > firmware on anyone of them? If so, how can I tell which?

    > LaCie has a firmware update on their site. They have articles
    > describing the nature of the situation and which drives are affected.

    I saw the firmware update, but it wasn't entirely clear to me whether I
    actually needed to use it. On your suggestion, though, I went pack and
    disscovered the article located at
    http://www.lacie.com/news/news.htm?id=10059, which seems to specify
    more definitively which of their drives are affected and which aren't.

    If I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like the only Lacie drives
    that are at risk here are the ones that have both the Firewire and the
    USB connectors on them, with serial numbers whose first four numbers
    fall either into the 1312-1339 range or the 0312-0339 range?

    If so, I guess I'm in luck-- as my drives are firewire only and.
    moreover, have serial numbers outside of that range. *whew* Thanks
    for the tip.

    That said, I'd still be interested to find out if there's some more
    general way one can find out what version of firmware happens to
    currently be installed on a drive?

    -- Jim C.

  7. Re: Panther and Firewire drives

    wrote:

    > James Chokey:
    > > I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but I just heard about the
    > > conflict between Panther (10.03) and some firewire drives...

    > Yes, we knew about this over a week ago. It might pay you in the long
    > run to take an occasional look at macintouch.com, macfixit.com, and
    > macnn.com.

    Oh I do... about once a week or so. That's how I found out about this
    in the first place. (That, and when I upgraded to 3.0.1, Software
    Updater gave me the message I quoted.)

    > Apple recommends two things: update to 10.3.1 _and_ get new
    > firmware from your drive manufacturer. There is new firmware from just
    > about all manufacturers.

    Right, and I had known that Lacie had posted firmware on its site. I
    guess I was trying to figure out whether I should bother.
    Specifically, I was curious as to whether there was some general
    mechanism for determining (1) whether a given drive had the Oxford 922
    bridge chip in the first place [I guess a technical specs sheet would
    have that info?], and (2) how one can determine what
    version of firmware is currently installed on an external drive, so
    that I could figure out whether I was at risk and needed to upgrade the
    firmware.

    I've since found an article at Lacie's site that, if I read it
    correctly, seems to indicate that I'm in the clear, since my drive
    types and serial numbers don't match those listed. Still, I'm kind of
    curious as to how I might find out what version of firmware is on a
    given drive.

    -- Jim C.

+ Reply to Thread