upgrading to a DVR - Storage

This is a discussion on upgrading to a DVR - Storage ; I have a G4 with a DVD ROM and would like to upgrade it to a DVR. The drive that apple uses is a Pioneer. My understanding is that the newer Pioneer DVR-A06 (or OEM DVR-106) drive will work fine ...

  1. upgrading to a DVR

    I have a G4 with a DVD ROM and would like to upgrade it to a DVR. The
    drive that apple uses is a Pioneer. My understanding is that the newer
    Pioneer DVR-A06 (or OEM DVR-106) drive will work fine in a mac running
    OSX 10.2.8. Are all the applications like iDVD are part of 10.2.8 which
    allow the drive to work? Will any Pioneer DVR-A06 drive work or is there
    some special firmware that the Mac needs?

    thanks,
    Ken

  2. Re: upgrading to a DVR

    << I have a G4 with a DVD ROM and would like to upgrade it to a DVR. The
    drive that apple uses is a Pioneer. My understanding is that the newer
    Pioneer DVR-A06 (or OEM DVR-106) drive will work fine in a mac running
    OSX 10.2.8.>>

    True

    << Are all the applications like iDVD are part of 10.2.8 which
    allow the drive to work? >>

    Not sure what your asking, but if your asking if iDVD is included with Jaguar
    (10.2) or Panther (10.3) then no it is not.
    iDVD is included if you buy a new Mac with a Superdrive or it's $49 at the
    Apple Store. iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, and the Finder all have basic DVD and CD
    burning capabilities and they are included. Roxio's Toast is another good
    program to have.

    << Will any Pioneer DVR-A06 drive work or is there
    some special firmware that the Mac needs? >>

    Yep, and no special firmware is needed.

    BTW, you might want to wait a couple of weeks. The 107 was just announced from
    Pioneer. The 107 is an 8x DVD-R and DVD+R burner. Its release might drive the
    prices down on the 106.

  3. Re: upgrading to a DVR

    On 11/11/2003 14:49, in article c%Yrb.40475$f53.20486@twister.austin.rr.com,
    "Ken Danti" wrote:

    > I have a G4 with a DVD ROM and would like to upgrade it to a DVR. The
    > drive that apple uses is a Pioneer. My understanding is that the newer
    > Pioneer DVR-A06 (or OEM DVR-106) drive will work fine in a mac running
    > OSX 10.2.8. Are all the applications like iDVD are part of 10.2.8 which
    > allow the drive to work? Will any Pioneer DVR-A06 drive work or is there
    > some special firmware that the Mac needs?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Ken

    I have a DVR-A06, and it works just fine under 10.3.1. Be sure to update
    the drive's firmware. Nothing to do with Macs, it just resolves some RW
    issues.

    You will of course have to do the update on a PC :^(.

    --
    Steve Bowman - Sydney, Australia

  4. Re: upgrading to a DVR

    In article , Steve
    & Ulli Bowman wrote:

    > I have a DVR-A06, and it works just fine under 10.3.1. Be sure to update
    > the drive's firmware. Nothing to do with Macs, it just resolves some RW
    > issues.
    >
    > You will of course have to do the update on a PC :^(.

    ---Hi Steve,

    I'm also considering adding a Pioneer drive to my QS 733, just added
    Panther this past week. So I am happy to know it works with iDVD under
    Panther. But i have an important question about the drive.

    I use Video LAN with the combo drive as a multi-region DVD player.
    (I'm in the States) Do you still have multi-region capability with the
    Pioneer drive under Panther ? This is one last issue before I decide
    to swap out the drive on my Mac.

    TIA

    Jesse

    --