Fitting 3 hard drives in a G4-500? - Storage

This is a discussion on Fitting 3 hard drives in a G4-500? - Storage ; Hello - I'd like to run 3 internal EIDE drives in my G4/500. I got it in 2000. Is this doable? Jordan...

  1. Fitting 3 hard drives in a G4-500?

    Hello -

    I'd like to run 3 internal EIDE drives in my G4/500. I got it in
    2000. Is this doable?

    Jordan

  2. Re: Fitting 3 hard drives in a G4-500?

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 15:51:07 -0500, Jordan wrote
    (in message <95c12fe8.0311091251.522d9592@posting.google.com>):

    > Hello -
    >
    > I'd like to run 3 internal EIDE drives in my G4/500. I got it in
    > 2000. Is this doable?
    >
    > Jordan

    Sure. The easiest method is to buy a PCI IDE controller card. Each such card
    usually has two IDE connectors which can have up to two devices each. That's
    four possible devices. There are four spots for hard disk drives on the floor
    of a graphite G4, one of which is in use by the hard drive installed by the
    factory and attached to the motherboard ATA/66 connector. You can use the
    other three dirve bays, no problem. You can even attach the stanard drive to
    the PCI card, or replace it with a faster drive. Either way, that's _four_
    hard drives. PCI cards can be up to ATA/133 speeds, or twice as fast as the
    motherboard connector. They can also handle drives larger than 128 GB, where
    the motherboard connector cannot.

    If you don't want to buy a card, you can still do it. The motherboard ATA/66
    connector can handle two drives, and so can the ATA/33 connector which feeds
    the optical drive. Put two drives on the ATA/66 connector, and replace the
    ribbon cable feeding the optical drive with a cable with a connector low
    enough to attach to a third hard drive. If you have an internal Zip you'll
    have to live without it. That's three drives.

    Or you could attach two drives to the ATA/66 _and_ get a PCI card and attach
    two drives to that. (If you push it you can get three, but after that you
    might run low on power connections.)

    Putting three drives into a G4 represents maybe 15 minutes work, tops.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

  3. Re: Fitting 3 hard drives in a G4-500?

    I've got 3 ibm 73gb's in my dp500 with the addition of a sonnet 66 pci
    card. Works great!

    -Chef

    In article <95c12fe8.0311091251.522d9592@posting.google.com>, Jordan
    wrote:

    > Hello -
    >
    > I'd like to run 3 internal EIDE drives in my G4/500. I got it in
    > 2000. Is this doable?
    >
    > Jordan

  4. Re: Fitting 3 hard drives in a G4-500?

    Charles Dyer wrote in message news:<0001HW.BBD41D3300937C60F02845B0@enews.newsguy.com>...
    > On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 15:51:07 -0500, Jordan wrote
    > (in message <95c12fe8.0311091251.522d9592@posting.google.com>):
    >
    > > Hello -
    > >
    > > I'd like to run 3 internal EIDE drives in my G4/500. I got it in
    > > 2000. Is this doable?
    > >
    > > Jordan

    > Sure. The easiest method is to buy a PCI IDE controller card. Each such card
    > usually has two IDE connectors which can have up to two devices each. That's
    > four possible devices. There are four spots for hard disk drives on the floor
    > of a graphite G4, one of which is in use by the hard drive installed by the
    > factory and attached to the motherboard ATA/66 connector. You can use the
    > other three dirve bays, no problem. You can even attach the stanard drive to
    > the PCI card, or replace it with a faster drive. Either way, that's _four_
    > hard drives. PCI cards can be up to ATA/133 speeds, or twice as fast as the
    > motherboard connector. They can also handle drives larger than 128 GB, where
    > the motherboard connector cannot.
    >
    > If you don't want to buy a card, you can still do it. The motherboard ATA/66
    > connector can handle two drives, and so can the ATA/33 connector which feeds
    > the optical drive. Put two drives on the ATA/66 connector, and replace the
    > ribbon cable feeding the optical drive with a cable with a connector low
    > enough to attach to a third hard drive. If you have an internal Zip you'll
    > have to live without it. That's three drives.
    >
    > Or you could attach two drives to the ATA/66 _and_ get a PCI card and attach
    > two drives to that. (If you push it you can get three, but after that you
    > might run low on power connections.)
    >
    > Putting three drives into a G4 represents maybe 15 minutes work, tops.

    Hey, thank you both for the great information. Any recommendations on a card?

  5. Re: Fitting 3 hard drives in a G4-500?

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 23:44:09 -0500, Jordan wrote
    (in message <95c12fe8.0311092044.4733d031@posting.google.com>):

    > Charles Dyer wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 15:51:07 -0500, Jordan wrote
    >> (in message <95c12fe8.0311091251.522d9592@posting.google.com>):
    >>
    >>> Hello -
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to run 3 internal EIDE drives in my G4/500. I got it in
    >>> 2000. Is this doable?
    >>>
    >>> Jordan

    >> Sure. The easiest method is to buy a PCI IDE controller card. Each such
    >> card
    >> usually has two IDE connectors which can have up to two devices each.
    >> That's
    >> four possible devices. There are four spots for hard disk drives on the
    >> floor
    >> of a graphite G4, one of which is in use by the hard drive installed by
    >> the
    >> factory and attached to the motherboard ATA/66 connector. You can use the
    >> other three dirve bays, no problem. You can even attach the stanard drive
    >> the PCI card, or replace it with a faster drive. Either way, that's _four_
    >> hard drives. PCI cards can be up to ATA/133 speeds, or twice as fast as
    >> the
    >> motherboard connector. They can also handle drives larger than 128 GB,
    >> where
    >> the motherboard connector cannot.
    >>
    >> If you don't want to buy a card, you can still do it. The motherboard
    >> ATA/66
    >> connector can handle two drives, and so can the ATA/33 connector which
    >> feeds
    >> the optical drive. Put two drives on the ATA/66 connector, and replace the
    >> ribbon cable feeding the optical drive with a cable with a connector low
    >> enough to attach to a third hard drive. If you have an internal Zip you'll
    >> have to live without it. That's three drives.
    >>
    >> Or you could attach two drives to the ATA/66 _and_ get a PCI card and
    >> attach
    >> two drives to that. (If you push it you can get three, but after that you
    >> might run low on power connections.)
    >>
    >> Putting three drives into a G4 represents maybe 15 minutes work, tops.

    > Hey, thank you both for the great information. Any recommendations on a
    > card?

    Sonnet is good. They make a range of cards.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to
    our own. Bend over right now. Resistance is futile.

+ Reply to Thread